Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shouldn't Tesla deduct my Trade-in before taxes are calculated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This absolutely does not matter, as its your location, not the location you pick up the car, that determines taxes. Otherwise everyone on the west coast would fly to Oregon to buy cars since oregon doesnt have sales tax.
Actually that's not completely accurate IME. Bought a car from a dealer in AZ in 2020, they added AZ taxes and of course charged me. When registering in the state of WA, I had to pay sales tax again which broke down to what my local tax rate on the vehicle would have been if purchased locally MINUS what they charged in AZ taxes, so it wasn't double taxation. Wound up being something like $500 on a $25k vehicle so it wasn't a big deal.

Actually that's not completely accurate IME. Bought a car from a dealer in AZ in 2020, they added AZ taxes and of course charged me. When registering in the state of WA, I had to pay sales tax again which broke down to what my local tax rate on the vehicle would have been if purchased locally MINUS what they charged in AZ taxes, so it wasn't double taxation. Wound up being something like $500 on a $25k vehicle so it wasn't a big deal.
It’s absolutely a state thing. Most states will acknowledge tax paid in others and only settle up with you for the difference.

California is having none of that. For a new car, you either pay sales tax in state at the time of sale or use tax (which conveniently happens to be identical to the sales tax rate) when you import and register it.

Reactions: cwerdna
It’s absolutely a state thing. Most states will acknowledge tax paid in others and only settle up with you for the difference.

California is having none of that. For a new car, you either pay sales tax in state at the time of sale or use tax (which conveniently happens to be identical to the sales tax rate) when you import and register it.
No disagreement.

My point was a bit more pedantic in response to jrandorin's post. Arizona collected taxes even though the car was delivered to me here in Washington. Arizona issued the title and some type of temporary plate before it was loaded up on the transport trailer. It was then registered in Washington by me the day after taking delivery. Both states tax policies applied here, however it wasn't California style bend over and take it, the net tax impact was no different than if I'd have purchased locally.

Reactions: ucmndd
Usually depends on the State you reside.
Yes. OP's profile says he's in So Cal.

As a few people have mentioned, in California, trading in does NOT reduce the amount of sales tax you pay when purchasing a new car.

See What New Car Fees Should You Pay? | Edmunds. Look under "Trade-in sales tax credit" for California vs. other states.
"3. Trade-in sales tax credit? A "Y" in this column means that you will pay sales tax only on the difference between your new car purchase and the value of your trade-in. An "N" in the column signifies that you will pay tax on the full amount of your new car purchase."

In fact, I never even heard of it saving $ on purchasing until it was mentioned to me in late 2001 when I lived in WA. Prior to living in WA state, I lived only in CA.

As F'ed Up as Illinois is at least we get the full trade-in deducted from the new purchase price and only pay state sales tax on the difference. You folks in Calif are getting raped.
I just accepted a trade in offer Tesla gave me and it didn't reduce any of my taxes on the new Tesla I'm buying. I wonder if it's a glitch in the system or maybe they stopped doing the deduction? I'll call Tesla tomorrow to see.

I just accepted a trade in offer Tesla gave me and it didn't reduce any of my taxes on the new Tesla I'm buying. I wonder if it's a glitch in the system or maybe they stopped doing the deduction? I'll call Tesla tomorrow to see.
Did you complete your purchase already? If so, they should have given you the credit. It exists for IL.

If you have not completed your purchase already, you should actually read this thread first.

Reactions: stok1232
Did you complete your purchase already? If so, they should have given you the credit. It exists for IL.

If you have not completed your purchase already, you should actually read this thread first.
Ok I see what happened. Since I didn't decide to do a trade in till two days before delivery they just took off the trade in from the total. I guess they will fix it for me before delivery based on what Mswlogo wrote.