Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shouldn't the battery be warm/more efficient after supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So SR+ recent 300ish mile roadtrip from Cincinnati to Detroit and back was a bit of a fail. I could not keep the car in an "efficient range" and each time I finished up at a supercharging station, the efficiency was horrible for the first 40-60% of use.

Basics stats below. Numbers are from memory. Temps were between 40-50° the entire trip. Cabin set at 67°, seat heater at 2. PSI at 46 w/ aero caps installed.

From Cincinnati to Lima (125 miles): Charged to 100% at home, with scheduled departure. Efficiency was around 280-300wh/mi. Vehicle arrived at destination with about 24% charge left. Charged to 80%.

Next destination was supposed to be my final destination, with 14% left. Considering the drain from home to Lima, I decided to find another supercharger along the way and stopped in Toledo, OH.
Lima to Toledo (86 miles): I think I arrived with about 34% left. Can't remember efficiency. Charged to 75%.

Toledo to Troy, MI (~74 miles): I arrived in the Troy, MI area with ~40% still on the battery. Did my thing, then visited a supercharger in Auburn Hills to park for the night. By the time I left Michigan to return home, the battery was around 78% due to lots of stop and go, etc.

Troy, MI to Toledo (~74 miles): This is where I saw the best efficiency. I don't consider driving in Detroit an easy task. You're either part of traffic, or you're going to get run over. Between the constant semi trucks and bumpy roads, this was actually the best efficiency I had seen the entire trip. It never went above 280wh/mi and I was enjoying the ride. This is when it went downhill.

Toledo to Lima (86 miles): After leaving Toledo's supercharging, I could not, for the life of me, get the efficiency any better than 340wh/mi. There were construction zones that the speed limit was 60 MPH, there were areas of slow spots and I used auto pilot when I could. Nothing would drop that usage. I arrived at the Lima supercharger with less than 20% on the battery.

Lima to Cincinnati (125 miles): I let the car charge to 90% at Lima and when I left, again the efficiency was awful. By the time I got home, I was at 13% on the battery. Once the battery was below 40%, I started seeing that 280wh/mi usage again. The thing would simply not get warm.

So I guess my question is, should I expect these levels? Should the car hold some warmth after a supercharging session? While I realize 75 MPH is probably not the efficient range of the car, is there something else I should be doing? I feel pretty strongly that 125-140 miles of range, during the winter, is just too difficult to use for long trips.

It's a little hard to figure out what you are asking. But let me state this. In cooler temperatures, you can expect at least 30% degradation in range. At 75 mph, you can expect another maybe 15% degradation in range

Watch the energy graph to see what the car is using.

So I think that all of your numbers are reasonable this time of the year. Things will get MUCH better when the temps go up.