Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shout Out to Clipper Creek

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
My Clipper Creek HPC quit working (@smicker was the first to experience the failure) - Ready light was on, everything looked good, but my Roadster didn't always recognize the signal.

I took it over to their corp hq yesterday (conveniently about 5 miles away) & the response was 'these things should never break, we'll fix it, no charge'. They found a loose connection that had probably slowly worked its way loose over the years. Instead of handing it back to me, they are keeping it for a day to fully check out. And then offered to bring it to the house so I wouldn't have to drive over there again. What?? Of course I'll drive back and get it. :)

Really a great group of people, quality products, fantastic customer service.

My Clipper Creek HPC quit working (@smicker was the first to experience the failure) - Ready light was on, everything looked good, but my Roadster didn't always recognize the signal.

I took it over to their corp hq yesterday (conveniently about 5 miles away) & the response was 'these things should never break, we'll fix it, no charge'. They found a loose connection that had probably slowly worked its way loose over the years. Instead of handing it back to me, they are keeping it for a day to fully check out. And then offered to bring it to the house so I wouldn't have to drive over there again. What?? Of course I'll drive back and get it. :)

Rock solid product with great service. Thanks for the quick service review @bonnie

Reactions: Jaff

I'm just happy to know I wasn't going crazy o_O

So a question... How many years did it work trouble free? 5 years? 6 years? Out in the rain?

It's about 9 years old, was one of the first CC HPCs made for Roadsters (I purchased it from another Roadster owner). 2008 maybe? It's a Rev AA and the first comment when looked at was 'whoa, this is one of the first Roadster ones!'.

It may or may not have been in the rain before I owned it. I have, on a regular basis, snaked the cable out of the garage and left it in the elements (hooked over something, but still outside) when others needed a charge and I wasn't going to be home. The only thing done to it since I've owned it is someone from CC came out to the house and reset the amperage so I could get the full 70amps (it was down-leveled by the previous owner).

The CEO/founder there (a fellow forum member, but not going to out him) has been using a variation trouble-free since 1997. Obviously didn't have a Roadster head since then, but it's my understanding that the box has remained the same.

Reactions: int32_t and Kalud
In my experience supplying adapters to Roadster owners I've learned that no other brand comes anywhere close to Clipper Creek in terms of reliability and longevity. I also know that a good number of their employees are enthusiastic EV supporters and some of them drive Roadsters including the aforementioned CEO.

Reactions: wiztecy
In my experience supplying adapters to Roadster owners I've learned that no other brand comes anywhere close to Clipper Creek in terms of reliability and longevity. I also know that a good number of their employees are enthusiastic EV supporters and some of them drive Roadsters including the aforementioned CEO.

The aforementioned was one of the reasons I bought my Roadster. He brought his Roadster to a local art festival (they ARE works of art, no?), and I talked his ear off for about an hour. Answered all my questions and concerns clearly and honestly. Got my picture taken in his car. Yeah, I could live with this...

I don't actually own one of their chargers (using the UMC that came with the car), but have recommended them to my brother who is looking to get into EVs.

The circuit board in mine fried itself a while back. I called Clipper Creek and Charles had me send in the board. I had to pay for a new board, but I wouldn't have expected anything else. It was way cheaper than buying a new charger. CC had me back up and charging in no time. I appreciated that Charles took the time to gauge my level of experience to see if I could handle sending just the board back vs. sending the whole thing. That saved a ton on shipping.