Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Show me your foiled/wrapped model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok met the owner. They will remove the bumpers and rear lights to properly wrap. At the same they will run over every corner with adhesive and heat to ensure all parts adhere properly. Side mirror they will re wrap. All bumpers to be re wrapped. One fender rewrapped. Basically with bumpers and lights removed, it’ll get done correctly.
Remind them not to use excessive heat on the mirrors. There was another thread when the plastic fixture started warping/melting down.

Meaning no primer required on the whole car??

No primer at all plus very, very little heat mostly for finishing touches and postheat.

Primer is for areas wher the vunyl is going to fail for sure and in most cases it is not going to save it. Also on gloss sometimes you can see where the primer is. Also when removing the wrap is one big mess. No need for it. 3M on their training stress a lot how important is to use it but they just want to sell it ;)

No primer at all plus very, very little heat mostly for finishing touches and postheat.

Primer is for areas wher the vunyl is going to fail for sure and in most cases it is not going to save it. Also on gloss sometimes you can see where the primer is. Also when removing the wrap is one big mess. No need for it. 3M on their training stress a lot how important is to use it but they just want to sell it ;)

Unfortunately they likely used primer on various parts as I can see little scratches/areas where it looks like there is something underneath...only up close ie. 3-4” away. And only if I’m concentrating.

I can understand that since thay seem to be trained by 3M. They stress on using primer on all edges and recessed areas. The primer is made by 3M ;)

I am certified by 3M /the first training I had and about an year was using it like crazy. Then got trained and certified by Orafol and they said it is not needed and the got certified by Avery and again I was tild it was not needed and was showed hot to do it without even thinking of primer.

There are exceptions like very complex panels where prmer at very edge helps like the grill of that wrangler done in one peace with no inlays but on tesla you don't have anything near that recessed areas

Attachments

• IMG_8140.JPG
    IMG_8140.JPG
    350.1 KB · Views: 45
That wrap that @Acho has looks incredibly well done! After looking at the blue I thought "this is the reason I don't wrap a car, my OCD would take over" but the other wrap looks amazing. I had a kid wrap the front for protection and I regret it... looks worse than Navsarin's now - thankfully it's clear. I may just have it redone some day - it's driving me nuts.

OCD will help if you decide to get into car wrap businesses. You wont have to redo it ;)

I am not OCD but I am freak on quality of finished product. No car leaves the shop without me QC it and I am painfully picky. In other hand if I watch someone install I can tell if there is going to be problem by the way the vinyl behaves.

I suspect more issues are going to keep coming up over the weeks as it was only 2-3 days for it to start showing :(

They’ll re-wrap certain areas but in the end I’m starting to suspect it won’t hold well as they used a lot of primer, cut wrong, tucked wrong and there are faint scratches all over which they are saying will go away with sun?

Every day another area starts to fold or come off slightly. Means it wasn’t cleaned well (wax) or wasn’t stretched or adhered...or combination of.
At this point I’ve spent $3500 on this and it would be a shame to have to rip it all off and just forget it :(
If it doesn’t come out well in the end, and they refuse to refund my money, it was on a ccard so I would be able to get a chargeback. That’s last resort and likely unecessary. I just worry their work is substandard.

I’m also OCD and right now i can’t even imagine washing the car or driving in the rain even. No telling what would happen.

Last edited: