Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Show Me Your Inner Tire Wear Photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of us with a Model S or X have had horrible inner tire wear issues. When I've brought this up to Tesla on several occasions they simple say that "it's normal" and that the vehicle is "within spec". In reality they only say that because there is no way to adjust the rear camber. Only the rear toe can be modestly adjusted. However after having the car aligned the problem persists. Adjusting the toe alone doesn't solve the issue. I recently corrected the problem by installing N2itive's adjustable control arms, https://N2itive.me which by the way are beautiful! They are like works of art! I may create a separate install thread later. But anyway since it's such a known problem, I wanted to see your photos and hear your stories with inner tire wear. How has Tesla handled the issue with you? Have there been any accidents caused by a sudden blowout? Some Teslas don't have the issue, I get that. So there’s no need to chime in with, “My Tesla doesn’t have that problem”. It’s understood. But for this thread I want to hear from the owners who do have the problem. For those of you interested in debating whether toe or camber is to blame for inner tire wear on a Tesla you should read this article first: What Wears Out Tires On A Tesla Faster? Toe or Camber? » N2itive.me

My tires seem ok at 8K miles (LR X Raven, 20" OEM Staggered), but I do have the shudder and just waiting to see if Tesla comes up with a real fix rather than replace with the same defective design. So I'm interested in how these are suppose to help with shudder.

Just replaced mine yesterday. Got another set of Goodyear F1s. They’re relatively cheap and it seems like I’ll be replacing them often.

I bought the car used from Tesla last December, so I don’t know what kind of mileage these tires got, or if it was aligned properly in the past.

I did have my axles replaced in February, and I’ve read they align the cars afterwards. I don’t really trust the SC since there was no mention of it in the work order so I have a 4 wheel alignment scheduled for tomorrow at an independent shop.

Attachments

• BACE65F2-9C19-433B-A403-2075784CD665.jpeg
    BACE65F2-9C19-433B-A403-2075784CD665.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 3,911
  • 24428827-3CF2-415B-8DED-08D2E74AA673.jpeg
    24428827-3CF2-415B-8DED-08D2E74AA673.jpeg
    742.7 KB · Views: 125
Just replaced mine yesterday. Got another set of Goodyear F1s. They’re relatively cheap and it seems like I’ll be replacing them often.

I bought the car used from Tesla last December, so I don’t know what kind of mileage these tires got, or if it was aligned properly in the past.

I did have my axles replaced in February, and I’ve read they align the cars afterwards. I don’t really trust the SC since there was no mention of it in the work order so I have a 4 wheel alignment scheduled for tomorrow at an independent shop.

Alignment is not mentioned in the work order. But it is definitely part of half-shaft replacement/upgrade. Largely because it is required as they reassemble the car. IOW, it is not something that is done afterwards. It is part of putting the thing back together.

Just got back from alignment. If an alignment was done earlier this year, it must’ve gone out by now. Or they aligned it at “standard“ height. I asked the independent shop to align mine on low.

oh I just remembered I had my right front strut replaced about a month ago. Maybe that replacement threw out my right front specs

Attachments

• E087BBCB-5E04-48F0-AD08-AB24BF6CE15F.jpeg
    E087BBCB-5E04-48F0-AD08-AB24BF6CE15F.jpeg
    460.5 KB · Views: 116
Many of us with a Model S or X have had horrible inner tire wear issues. When I've brought this up to Tesla on several occasions they simple say that "it's normal" and that the vehicle is "within spec". In reality they only say that because there is no way to adjust the rear camber. Only the rear toe can be modestly adjusted. However after having the car aligned the problem persists. Adjusting the toe alone doesn't solve the issue. I recently corrected the problem by installing N2itive's adjustable control arms, https://N2itive.me which by the way are beautiful! They are like works of art! I may create a separate install thread later. But anyway since it's such a known problem, I wanted to see your photos and hear your stories with inner tire wear. How has Tesla handled the issue with you? Have there been any accidents caused by a sudden blowout? Some Teslas don't have the issue, I get that. So there’s no need to chime in with, “My Tesla doesn’t have that problem”. It’s understood. But for this thread I want to hear from the owners who do have the problem. For those of you interested in debating whether toe or camber is to blame for inner tire wear on a Tesla you should read this article first: What Wears Out Tires On A Tesla Faster? Toe or Camber? » N2itive.me

the cars come with excessive negative camber which will cause inside tread wear. Known issue that is masked and “normal.” Unfortunate you cannot rotate tires on a MX to rectify this.

Just got back from alignment. If an alignment was done earlier this year, it must’ve gone out by now. Or they aligned it at “standard“ height. I asked the independent shop to align mine on low.

oh I just remembered I had my right front strut replaced about a month ago. Maybe that replacement threw out my right front specs
Anybody ever align it in “Very Low”?