Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Show non-tesla chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are times when there aren't any Tesla superchargers/destination chargers around OR they are super busy. Can the onboard map system have a setting to show 3rd party chargers too like Blink etc?
I think it will show any location where you've charged your car in the past. So, in that way, you can get it to show 3rd party chargers that you've used. But if you're looking for just a generalized map of all possible charging stations in an area, then you need to use a different platform. That's what Plugshare is for. Also, as a particular argument to NOT show all 3rd party chargers in the nav, Tesla markets being added to their in-car navigation as a feature of their Destination Charging program (possibly now defunct) and their Superchargers to hosting businesses. If they're just going to automatically put every charging station on the nav regardless of who built it, then that would be one fewer reason to partner with Tesla in particular.

Yeah, stick with Plugshare. It's got all the tools and information you want. You can even "share" a location straight to the nav from the Plugshare app.

This is one of those "be careful what you wish for" situations. The amount of scrolling, zooming, and filtering I do on Plugshare would not be fun via Tesla nav. There's also an awful lot of information to look at when looking for a non-Tesla charger. It's much easier to just use my phone.

I certainly understand why Tesla would definitely not want to do that. What @mociaf9 mentioned I think is probably the lesser reason. I think the bigger thing is that if Tesla puts it in the navigation of the car, that is a tacit endorsement of its usability. And inevitably, when people get directed to some broken, out-of-service (on the)Blink station, and people run out of energy or get stuck because they were counting on that, the wailing and blaming will be on Tesla, because THEIR navigation said this would work.

And Tesla doesn't want to have that on their head, because they can't speak for the reliability/availability of thousands of stations from dozens of networks.