Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Show of hands… Adaptive Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many new Model S owners out there can actually FEEL the difference between “Sport” and “Comfort “? I know I can’t.… even though Tesla Service says it is functioning normally. No matter what I do with the suspension controls, my ride is the same… punishingly harsh. Yet, from these forums and YouTube, I see that many of you think the suspension is great. As this is probably one of the most sophisticated suspensions ever put in a car, I have trouble believing that mine is “functioning normally “. I think the key objective question here is “can you actually FEEL a difference in ride quality when you change suspension modes?” (By ”feel” I mean you KNOW it changed, if you just THINK it changed then it didn’t). It would really help me and, I know, a number of others out there to find out if our suspensions are screwed up or if that’s just the way they are. Thanks for any input you can provide.

This is all quite different than my experience in my 2019 Raven X. Comfort felt smoother, Firm felt more controlled.

After a bit, I would simply leave it in automatic for a fantastic experience. At low speeds and just cruising around it gave a soft, smooth and quiet ride. When I would drive at higher speeds or on curvy roads the suspension would firm up significantly to provide better control. Most amazing results were seen when cruising at high speeds along sweeping curves. It did not bob or sway, but carved up the curves, feeling great along the way.

Thought this suspension was the best of all worlds, from a travelers perspective.

Hope the OP gets his sorted out, because when it is operating properly the combination of soft when going slow, but firm when going fast is quite remarkable.
Glad to hear that it can be that good! I’m looking forward to it! Thanks for the input.

Upvote 0
I did observe the duty cycle while driving (I used an inverter to power the scope). I didn’t video it, as it was too difficult to jury rig a camera mount that would hold everything steady enough on bumpy roads… where the duty cycle changes. What happens is this: A “base value“ duty cycle is set upon selection of a ride mode. This duty cycle never goes below the base value, but will increase 10 to 20% as bumps are encountered. As to the duty cycle vs. damping question, I can testify, from bitter experience, that with a broken ECU, (as I had, thus, 0% duty cycle) the result is max damping… the harshest ride possible!
I contacted Service yesterday. They gave me an email address that they said was “generally visible” in their service center. I wrote a short cover note describing my problem and included a link to the video. Hopefully, someone will pass it on until it reaches the proper department…. Rather like putting a rescue note in a bottle and tossing it in the ocean. I think it would be good if EVERYONE who has this problem would do the same. If Tesla gets the same video sent to them from 50 different people it might raise the urgency to do something about it!
I have the same issue. To what Tesla email address should we send your video with our comments?

Upvote 0
I have the same issue. To what Tesla email address should we send your video with our comments?
Ha! There is no escalation path at Tesla. If you want this to be seen by anyone at corporate who could possibly do anything to look into it; you had better hope your service center manager is receptive.

And even then, there is about a 2% chance Tesla HQ does anything with the info.

Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0
I phoned my local service center. They gave me an email address that they could all read at that location. I wrote a cover message describing the problem and suggesting that the issue be forwarded to the appropriate department at Tesla. I believe that there is a much greater than 2% chance of something being done. When we were just saying “I don’t like the ride”, yeah, they tended to ignore us. BUT, they WARRANT these vehicles to be free from defects and to perform as advertised. I believe that the video shows an objective, repeatable test that PROVES that this warranty is violated. They HAVE to take this seriously. Also, I’m pretty sure that this is nothing more than an ordinary coding “bug”… simple and cheap to fix, IF someone just looks into it. For them to do that though, they have to be aware that the problem is there. That’s why we should FLOOD them with requests to look into it!

Upvote 0
THE RESULTS ARE IN! I did a serious attempt at documenting the operation of the system. I used my oscilloscope to measure the voltages applied to the shocks. It turns out that they are operated by varying the duty cycle of a fixed voltage (16v. 1Khz ) signal. This is not to say that they open and close a thousand times a second… I believe that they take around 6ms to move in one direction, but that they respond to the average power they are receiving. In any event, I tested them in all suspension modes while actually driving and found that, unsurprisingly, Comfort Mode really IS an illusion. Ironically, at least in my car, the SOFTEST suspension setting is Sport! I am convinced that this is a firmware problem. It will have to be communicated to Tesla’s software people. To that end, I made a YouTube video showing what I did and the results. My plan is to call Service and ask them to forward a link to the video to the appropriate people at Tesla. Let me know what you think before I do this. SO, you’ve read the book….. now watch the movie! Here’s a link:
Thanks Steve - for all your comments and your excellent video. Over the next few days as I drive my 2022 MSLR I will take a look at all the settings shown on the screen when in Comfort mode and again in Sport Mode, and of course, see if i can tell the difference. I'll report back once i have sorted that out. So, far, it seems that Comfort mode is better than the various ways i have tried the Advanced mode settings, but will double check that too. I sure would like for the MS to have better suspension than it does. So, far, it seems only a tiny bit better than my 2022 MY!

Upvote 0
I phoned my local service center. They gave me an email address that they could all read at that location. I wrote a cover message describing the problem and suggesting that the issue be forwarded to the appropriate department at Tesla. I believe that there is a much greater than 2% chance of something being done. When we were just saying “I don’t like the ride”, yeah, they tended to ignore us. BUT, they WARRANT these vehicles to be free from defects and to perform as advertised. I believe that the video shows an objective, repeatable test that PROVES that this warranty is violated. They HAVE to take this seriously. Also, I’m pretty sure that this is nothing more than an ordinary coding “bug”… simple and cheap to fix, IF someone just looks into it. For them to do that though, they have to be aware that the problem is there. That’s why we should FLOOD them with requests to look into it!
I called my Service Center today. I was told that the service team had: watched the video, agreed with the issue, and forwarded it to the appropriate department in Tesla. At some point, the service manager used the term “known issue”, but I was unable to determine whether it was known because of the video, or they were already working on it. In any case, this is about as positive as the news could be at this stage. I was told that this will be the subject of a future software update, and that they will notify me when one is coming….. keep your fingers crossed, I’ll keep you posted.

Upvote 0
I called my Service Center today. I was told that the service team had: watched the video, agreed with the issue, and forwarded it to the appropriate department in Tesla. At some point, the service manager used the term “known issue”, but I was unable to determine whether it was known because of the video, or they were already working on it. In any case, this is about as positive as the news could be at this stage. I was told that this will be the subject of a future software update, and that they will notify me when one is coming….. keep your fingers crossed, I’ll keep you posted.
That would be awesome. Hopefully - known issue and potential software update does not mean an endless wait to fix this.

Really appreciate you staying on this!!! :)

Reactions: Wilber
Upvote 0
I’m encouraged but also skeptical.

They know the horn doesn’t work, have said a fix is available, but still haven’t rolled it out.

At this rate, the suspension issues will be resolved after I get rid of the car.

Reactions: aerodyne and DBV1
Upvote 0
Definitely something wrong with your cars then. There is a very noticeable difference on my plaid between comfort, sport, and track mode.

I have an MXP and there's a huge difference between comfort and sport. In comfort, it rocks back and fourth with small turning inputs and bounces 4 or 5 times going slowly over a speed bump. On sport, there's no bouncing or rocking at all but it's uncomfortable on rough roads. Spot reminds me very much of my P85DL+ while comfort reminds me of our SC430.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
I have an MXP and there's a huge difference between comfort and sport. In comfort, it rocks back and fourth with small turning inputs and bounces 4 or 5 times going slowly over a speed bump. On sport, there's no bouncing or rocking at all but it's uncomfortable on rough roads. Spot reminds me very much of my P85DL+ while comfort reminds me of our SC430.
@sorka Is there a middle setting between Comfort and Sport?

Comfort sounds like too little damping to the point where it's not actually comfortable.

Reactions: mcirish
Upvote 0
I was hoping for a larger response to Steve's YouTube video. So far I am the only one to make a comment on that platform, although there have been 12 "likes". I wrote in another thread "I went in for service yesterday and took a ride with both with the tech and his superior. They both said it was within range. The latter said that Tesla may come out with a software fix".
I don't see what else I can do to FLOOD them re this issue. I hope others will do so.

Reactions: umair239
Upvote 0
I was hoping for a larger response to Steve's YouTube video. So far I am the only one to make a comment on that platform, although there have been 12 "likes". I wrote in another thread "I went in for service yesterday and took a ride with both with the tech and his superior. They both said it was within range. The latter said that Tesla may come out with a software fix".
I don't see what else I can do to FLOOD them re this issue. I hope others will do so.
I too, would like to know how many of us have sent a copy of the video to Service. Please send a quick note to this thread if you have done so. The email address I used was ”[email protected]”. Clarkston being the city in Michigan where the service center is. I believe that you could insert your own service center city name in this address and it would work. So please, go to the video, SHARE via email, write “I believe that this is a serious fault in the Model S suspension system. Please forward this video to the appropriate department within Tesla.” , insert the city name of your service center into the address, and SEND! The more copies of this we get to Tesla, the greater the chance we’ll get it fixed.

Reactions: DBV1 and pvdoug
Upvote 0
There is nothing you can do outside of contacting the media or an attorney. Or waiting for Tesla to actually get around to fixing it.

Tesla has sold maybe 15K refresh S/X

You’re screaming into the void.

Upvote 0
There is nothing you can do outside of contacting the media or an attorney. Or waiting for Tesla to actually get around to fixing it.

Tesla has sold maybe 15K refresh S/X

You’re screaming into the void.
That is crazy how small the S/X sales are. Surprised Tesla even keeps producing those models. I like the small numbers, as it least in Ohio I rarely see a Model S and makes the car unique.

With such low sales volume, it must make Telsa hard to focus on any possible issues. Just like the drivers console having almost no other information on it except for the visual of the car/road, Nav if using. Should have media on it too with album art.

I do hope the suspension gets fixed, as the is the weakest link of the car. I will send the video above to our service center. Thanks again Steve for doing all of this. :)

Upvote 0
@sorka Is there a middle setting between Comfort and Sport?

Comfort sounds like too little damping to the point where it's not actually comfortable.

Comfort is generally good, but needs another 15% more rebound and 5% more compression dampening in the rear (to eliminate the pogo effect on larger undulations)

Sport is...sporty.

Try TRACK MODE for some stiff suspension. Eek!

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
Comfort is generally good, but needs another 15% more rebound and 5% more compression dampening in the rear (to eliminate the pogo effect on larger undulations)

Sport is...sporty.

Try TRACK MODE for some stiff suspension. Eek!
I foresee aftermarket suspension controllers coming out to provide more configurability for these new S/X dampers. I'm assuming the PWM control method means very fine-grained adjustments are possible. Heck if I had one of these cars I'd try making a custom controller for it myself, would be a fun and useful project I think. My old P85 has no such fancy dampers to adjust though!

Reactions: mcirish and Wilber
Upvote 0
It is clear to me that some 2022 Model S vehicles have poor suspensions, but many do not. I can only assume that there was a defect in the manufacturing process that was manifested in a subset of vehicles. What happened? Time of manufacture might result in a clue as to what went wrong. My car was delivered in December, 2021.

Upvote 0