TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Show off FSD by running a Roadster around Laguna Seca autonomously

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020' started by Shygar, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Shygar

Shygar Member

I think this is how Tesla should show it off. It's a relatively controlled environment and it would be exciting to see. Seeing a Tesla driving from SF to NYC is more practical, but I think this would be more exciting.

• Like x 1
  2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

How would that demonstrate FSD? The current autopilot can do this

A NY to LA trip would be more exciting. But that’s not happening for a LONG time.

• Like x 1
  3. GeoX750

GeoX750 Member

Is there a video link ?

4. Shygar

Shygar Member

Current autopilot can't do this. It has to follow the racing line, not just stay between the lines. And yes that's why I am suggesting it, because it will be a long time before the east to west trip is done. This might be a fun way to show it working today.

5. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Oh
    Either way a controlled environment showing is useless.
    It won’t amaze anyone, nor impress many tesla owners because it’s not real world.

6. stretchsje

stretchsje Member

It would impress me. It's a different set of challenges than FSD on public roads. Autonomous racing leagues are an up-and-coming thing. There are certain lessons that would be applicable back to regular driving.

• Like x 1
  7. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

8. Shygar

Shygar Member

My suggestion is mostly to get people excited. I can't imagine it being that hard to do and yea they may end up learning something while doing it.

9. oneday

oneday Member

It would be really cool to see a Roadster II SX (SpaceX) production car break records at Laguna Seca or any/all racetracks. If it can do it, I think it would be great for Tesla to also break records in the course with no driver in autonomous mode, why not.

• Like x 1
  10. sjansa

sjansa New Member

Ever since it was announced I’ve wanted to tweet at Elon “hey Elon, do you think the new Roadster will be faster around the Nurburgring on autopilot or with a human driver??”
    Alas, I refuse to sign up for twitter.

But, there are millimeter accurate scans of that whole track, and for a substantial number of people who will buy that car a record time would be a serious sales pitch. And for the Tesla boffins who make it happen, bragging rights for life.

11. Shygar

Shygar Member

That would be a fun ride too.