Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Show Off Your Aftermarket Model Y Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait a second... I'm new to Tesla with only having my Model Y for a few weeks and just realized something about the staggered tire sizes listed above in TSportline's posts. Fronts are 255/35/21 and rears are 275/35/21. Keeping the same aspect ratio but varying widths would result in different circumference tires front to back. Coming from, most recently a BMW X3 with X-drive and pretty much any other AWD ICE vehicle this has always been a big no no.

Does this not matter on a Tesla with everything being electronically controlled??? o_O

... this has always been a big no no.
Can you hum a few more bars about why this is a no no? The only no-no I can think of is that having different tire circumferences inhibits rotating tires front and back. I'm fairly confident that Tesla takes the different tire circumferences into account for speedo measurements, particularly given this is a stock wheel/tire setup.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Hi.
Just checking in on how you like this wheel/tire combo after a few months. You still happy? Are you planning on taking this skiing?
I've got the same car = happy you went gloss over matte? Thanks!
Yes, very happy with my 20" TSS Flow Forged wheels with the Michelin Sport A/S 3 tires. And yes, I'm very pleased with the gloss finish - I think dust and dirt doesn't stick to them quite as much as the matte finish and they're easy to clean. No plans to take the car up to the snow any time soon, but some day.

Last edited:
Yes, very happy with my 20" TSS Flow Forged wheels with the Michelin Sport A/S 3 tires. And yes, I'm very pleased with the gloss finish - I think dust and dirt doesn't stick to them quite as much as the matte finish and they're easy to clean. No plans to take the car up to the snow any time soon, but some day.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm curious why you switched out your 21s/pzeros if you live in LA and don't plan on going up the the snow.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm curious why you switched out your 21s/pzeros if you live in LA and don't plan on going up the the snow.
1) I wanted a smoother ride and better road protection than the 21" tires offered
2) I prefer the appearance of the TSS over the Uberturbines
3) I was concerned about curb rash with the Uberturbines (even though I'm pretty cautious with my wheels)

Can you hum a few more bars about why this is a no no? The only no-no I can think of is that having different tire circumferences inhibits rotating tires front and back. I'm fairly confident that Tesla takes the different tire circumferences into account for speedo measurements, particularly given this is a stock wheel/tire setup.

Given that most AWD cars on the road today have the front and rear wheels mechanically connected one way or another the circumferences need to be very close to avoid premature drivetrain wear. For example the current BMW X3 M40i has 245/40/21 fronts and 275/35/21 rear, which is pretty much exactly the same circumference. And you are also correct that front to back tire rotations are not possible with staggered sizes.

I only have the 20" square setup on my LR Y, so I didn't realized until I just looked it up that the staggered sizes above are STOCK sizes. While the difference is small it is still there. But it really don't matter if it's simply programmed into the car that way without any kind of mechanical connection.

Oh the possibilities with these cars... :D

Reactions: spsheridan
1) I wanted a smoother ride and better road protection than the 21" tires offered
2) I prefer the appearance of the TSS over the Uberturbines
3) I was concerned about curb rash with the Uberturbines (even though I'm pretty cautious with my wheels)
And do you feel you have a significantly smoother ride now? Most of my driving is on decent asphalt and I'm really happy with the stock set up so far. But I'm sure I'll get some curb rash soon...

I finally bought my first Tesla (a Performance Model Y with PUP.) I do love the look of the 21" Uberturbines but at the same time they really aren't that pratical. Very harsh ride, lower range, and where I live there's a lot of badly maintained road, pot holes, and road works. I'm scared i'm going to puncture a tire or damage my rim driving these road. And these are pricy tires and rims. And 21" doesn't have many (barely no) tire options and lots of places probably don't even have the tires in stock and readily available.

So I'm looking at after market rims. Keep seeing T Sportline. Seen many videos about T Sportline (like i1Tesla, Engineering Explained etc.) In fact Engineering Explained went into a lot of details about how expensive his Illinois pothole adventure was on his Model 3 Performance and the T Sportline wheels he got as a replacement.

I'd love 19" wheels but 20" wheels seem to have the most tire options. (Why is that?) Being able to get Summer Performance, All Seasons, or Winter tires is important to me. Plan to get a second home where it snows.

Still undecided on which wheels I want, the TSS and TST both look good. Maybe i'll end up getting 2 sets, one for summer and one for winter :D

Any discounts coming up on the 20" wheels? Black Friday maybe?

I also want to get an XPEL ppf wrap but I'm in the Bay Area not LA so will probably have to go somewhere local for that. :(

Midnight Silver Metallic Tesla Model Y with 21" TY117 Forged Wheels in Matte Black

Specifications
  • Size: 21x9.5" Front, 21x10.5" Rear
  • Offset: +32 Front, +40 Rear
  • Bolt Pattern (PCD): 5x114.3
  • Center Bore: 64.1 (Tesla Model Y Performance Compatible)
  • Weight: 21x9.5": 28.5 lbs; 21x10.5": 29.4 lbs
  • Tire Size: 21x9.5": 255/35-21; 21x10.5": 275/35-21

View attachment 559893 View attachment 559894 View attachment 559895 View attachment 559896

Do you have any other pics of these setup? would like to know how flush the wheels are with the fenders

IMG_0971.JPG
IMG_0970.JPG
I went with Flow Forged Avant Garde M610's in 20". Same idea as spsheridan above. Better ride, more rubber outside the rim. I stayed with the Pirelli's and have about 8,000 miles on them now. 255's on the front and 285's on the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_1047.jpg
    IMG_1047.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_1045.jpg
    IMG_1045.jpg
    803.9 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_1041.jpg
    IMG_1041.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 671
Has anyone bought any of the 19 inch T Sportline wheels on their MY? If so, please post pictures, I am thinking about getting the TSS or TST wheels and putting the stock tires from the geminis, but I am wondering about looks and performance on range and ride compared to the inductions or geminis.

38EA6F00-152E-4128-964D-4F24900D1049.jpeg
I had these TSS 20 inch ones on my MY until I got in a wreck and it may be totaled so now thinking about going non-performance with geminis and just opting for the 19 inch version of the TSS’s...

Reactions: Skavatar