Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Show off your aftermarket wheels.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
22" Bulletproof Spec ADV.1 Wheels on our P85+

IMG_1984benedit_BP_zps18050c70.jpg
IMG_1928benedit_BP_zps35f06397.jpg
IMG_2010benedit_BP_zps87c25458.jpg

• Love
Reactions: jobiggs24
Bullet, do you get rubbing with those wheels? Do you have air or coil suspension? If air, any rubbing at "low" height?

Hey gnychis, We do not have any issues with rubbing and are running on the factory air suspension that comes with the P85+. We've invested a lot to modify our model S and learn what the perfect sizing is for our needs. Our company has had a lot of experience with wheel sizing and setup; which is a great benefit for our customers by helping them get the perfect custom specifications and have it done right for them.
Are you running aftermarket wheels on your Model S?

If the backpad of any wheel (either custom forged or cast) does not have enough pocketing area (or none whatsoever), the wheel will not sit flush to the rotor. You can see the outlines of the factory Tesla wheel pockets between each stud in the attached picture.

The result of a non-pocketed wheel is a warped rotor. How do you know you have a warped rotor? When you hard brake at relatively high speeds 45mph+, your brake pedal will stutter/vibrate.

How do you fix this? Go to a service center and spend $1000+ for 4 new rotors and labor. :eek:

tesla-model-s-wheel.jpeg
model-s-hub.jpeg

Bulletproof,
I have some ADV.1 and have problems with brakes. It's has been discussed in other threads. Just wondering how your rims are working out.

What about drilling a small pocket into the rims (like the factory wheels)? The bolt doesn't look to protrude too far out.

Maybe another possible solution would to have a plate, with a hole cut out for the T45, that is sandwiched between the rotor and rim.

BTW, you mentioned spending $1000+ at the service center to fix this problem. Do they put on a different rotor? I would imagine it would be the same type of rotor.

Last edited:
-For the price ADV1 charges for their wheels, there's no reason why their wheels shouldn't be pocketed aka 'drill a small pocket into the rims (like the factory wheels).'

-Machining a spacer plate with 5 hole cutouts will change the offset and isn't necessary.

-The rotors sound warped and the back pad of the wheel is most likely the problem. You need to get the back of your wheels pocketed out first. Then you'll need to replace all 4 of your rotors aka the $1000+ in rotors and labor. A friend of mine went through this as did I.

What about drilling a small pocket into the rims (like the factory wheels)? The bolt doesn't look to protrude too far out.

Maybe another possible solution would to have a plate, with a hole cut out for the T45, that is sandwiched between the rotor and rim.

BTW, you mentioned spending $1000+ at the service center to fix this problem. Do they put on a different rotor? I would imagine it would be the same type of rotor.

Tobo65, did you replace your 21" to 19"?
I am looking to get the same wheel/tire combo you have on your car, but wondering if 19" tires really have less wear and last 30-40K miles compared to 15-20K I am getting with 21" contis now.

Thanks
Pramod

my original 19" goodyear's lasted 48k miles before I replaced them...so yes, they last MUUUUUUUUUCH longer than 21s. even 10x longer than some folks lol

Yobigd20, I know original 19" tires last 40K miles. I wanted to know if original 21" tires from P85 are dropped to 19", they may not last as long due to several known issues with alignment and camber exclusive to 21" P85 or P85+.

You made the right choice choosing 19". Me and several others chose poorly that 6K upgrade for 21" wheels and now trying to downgrade.

I wanted to hear from other owners who dropped the tire size to 19" and still got similar mileage like you.

P

Yobigd20, I know original 19" tires last 40K miles. I wanted to know if original 21" tires from P85 are dropped to 19", they may not last as long due to several known issues with alignment and camber exclusive to 21" P85 or P85+.

You made the right choice choosing 19". Me and several others chose poorly that 6K upgrade for 21" wheels and now trying to downgrade.

I wanted to hear from other owners who dropped the tire size to 19" and still got similar mileage like you.

P

I dont think there is ANY alignment or camber difference between P85s originally equipped with 19s vs P85s originally equipped with 21s. It's the P85+ that has a totally different suspension setup than a P85.

To my untutored eye, all the turbine wheels in this thread look like the factory wheels on my wife's P85+. No?? Is the intent simply to have the look of the factory 21" with a 19" wheel? I preferred the 19" wheels--I expect them to to wear much better and ride a little softer. I've never been a big fan of low profile tires. Even for race cars I find an excessively wide, excessively low profile tire can spoil the handling of some cars.

Which raises another question. Why are the "turbines" rotation set to pump air inward on one side, and out on the other? I suspect in looking at the blades that there's little air movement, but what's the theory here? Is it just fewer molds?

I'm going to have to order that slick roof rack and slip it on my wife's car when she isn't looking. Once she gets used to that a surfboard may appear.

Last edited: