Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Show off your Tesla to school class Mar1&2 Syd Northern Beaches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear proud Tesla owners,

I am a CSIRO scientist who occasionally teaches in the Scientists in Schools program.
My topic is electric vehicles and I teach the year 6's about energy, fuels and the evolution of the eV.
There is a lot of Elon Musk worship (he's a physicist too!) and we also build our own solar car models.

My next sessions are on 1st and 2nd March around the Dee Why area. I start at 9am and finish around 1pm when the kids have lunch.

I contacted Tesla to ask if they could bring a car over for the kids to admire, but they are too busy with test drives. They suggested I post here to see if any proud owners on the Northern Beaches could help me out.

If you are available to show off your car from about 1pm to 1:30pm on one of these days, please do get in touch with me.

Please contact me by private message if interested.

Thanks!!!
Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your private messages. I have followed up and have a Tesla lined up for each day. I don't know about the kids, but I am excited to see a Tesla close up. Maybe I'll be able to score a ride on the day :)

In my experience teaching this topic over a few years to Y6 students, there is little or no aspiration about owning a fast/cool car when they are adult. It's just not on their radar. After I show them Tesla videos, some of them are excited - so Tesla should pay me!

Interestingly, when they reach adulthood, Tesla will not be competing so much with other manufacturers, but more with choosing to have no car at all. I doubt if they will bother learn to drive the old-fashioned way - they'll probably just hail a self-driving electric car when they need one. When you don't own your own car, you don't care much about what the car says about you - it becomes a utilitarian machine like a printer or microwave.

Thank you for your private messages. I have followed up and have a Tesla lined up for each day. I don't know about the kids, but I am excited to see a Tesla close up. Maybe I'll be able to score a ride on the day :)

In my experience teaching this topic over a few years to Y6 students, there is little or no aspiration about owning a fast/cool car when they are adult. It's just not on their radar. After I show them Tesla videos, some of them are excited - so Tesla should pay me!

Interestingly, when they reach adulthood, Tesla will not be competing so much with other manufacturers, but more with choosing to have no car at all. I doubt if they will bother learn to drive the old-fashioned way - they'll probably just hail a self-driving electric car when they need one. When you don't own your own car, you don't care much about what the car says about you - it becomes a utilitarian machine like a printer or microwave.
A person has, through the centuries, always had there own transport, with the quality controlled by their wealth or desires or both. A horse was an early form of this transport.
A year 6 student is 5 years away from learning to drive, and I cannot see over 100 years of tradition changing in 5 years, and indeed as clever as autopilot is, we are not even close to full, safe autonomy.
As much as I really enjoy my electric tesla, there is no rule that says autonomous cars must be electric.

Tesla-01-blur.jpg
Tesla-02-blur.jpg
Tesla-03-blur.jpg

My sincere gratitude to Dborn and G who brought their Tesla's to school! I think they really enjoyed the experience! The kids certainly did - both owners were inundated with questions. For me - I got my first two rides in a Tesla - WOW! I am a biker and am used to 3.0s 0-100km/h - but to do it so "effortlessly" (no roaring of a motor) and in a 2.2 tonne car is astounding. Mind you - I'll never be able to afford a Tesla, so I am happy that performance bikes can be had south of $10k :)

I'll be running two more classes in August, so will revive this thread about a month before to see it we can't do this again.