TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Show us your dents and scratches

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by l.10.i, Jan 29, 2017.

1. l.10.i

l.10.i Member

There is plenty of threads and posts about the wonders of Xpel, Opticoat et likes.
    Numerous reports of gravel hitting leaving no marks, bugs splattered and scratches wiped off or thermo healed.

But so few images of actual damage that could have been avoided for sure by applying either a film or a coat (or both).
    I'd like to see photos taken after a few years or many thousand miles without any protective setup.

I'm receiving my Model S in less than two months and am curious of the real world, effective, benefits of spending a substantial percentage amount of the car's value into protective layers that no car manufacturer apparently is judging useful enough to offer as a default equipment or upgrade option, Tesla included.

Show me the damage!

2. skitch23

skitch23 Member

If you walk through a parking lot near your home or office, you'll see what paint scratches look like without an XPEL wrap. This isn't specific to Tesla... all unprotected paint reacts the same to abrasive objects.

My 10yr old ICE has a fair amount of light scratches on it... most of which I have no idea how they got there (carwash, birds, tree limbs, aliens, etc). My future Model 3 will definitely have a full wrap on it.

3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Eh, I got a few rock chips on the hood, and after 1 year of not curbing my rims, I hit two of them... besides that nothing really...