Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Showroom deal and build quality improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F0DC47AE-0684-4522-8447-E6AB63926ADE.jpeg Picked up my 2nd MX on Monday. I felt like I got fleeced on my 2016 MX 2.0 with fsd lease, so I inquired almost daily in December regarding a showroom adjusted MX.

BTW, the range on the 90kwh was terrible, had the shudder “fixed” twice, auto door was stuck, ghosting, water leak from fwd opening...

When they allowed showroom and test drive models to be sold late December, I called expecting a typical $2k discount, but the OA did a thorough search and was shocked to see a white 100D 6 seater showroom car available for $17k off! Originally $98k with FSD, I told them to remove FSD, and the total with fee came out to $75k!

Done! Locked it up and was expecting a torn up car with paint scratches and seats worn. The driver seat did have a slight crease from people sitting it, but otherwise, paint is flawless and interior is mint. I drove it last night to see if it had the dreaded ghosting issue my old MX had, and happy to report it didn’t!

Rear cam seems to have higher resolution, door trims line up near perfect, just to point out a few differences.

As a side note, I returned my old MX last week and had a chance to see the new one as it just got off the truck. I was shocked to see it included 22” black turbines instead of the silver 20” on the build sheet! They called me 30 min after I left to tell me they had to take them off and give me a new set of 20”....I cried on the inside a little I have to admit haha.

I will update with pics as soon as new wheels come and chrome delete is complete thanks.

Contemplating the el wire ambient lighting thing, but it may look tacky

Attachments

• AC566BB1-266F-4063-B438-80792061838F.jpeg
    AC566BB1-266F-4063-B438-80792061838F.jpeg
    570.8 KB · Views: 119
  • F014EC67-582B-4E2A-9E17-8AC66D2BAFD3.jpeg
    F014EC67-582B-4E2A-9E17-8AC66D2BAFD3.jpeg
    663.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
View attachment 495849 Picked up my 2nd MX on Monday. I felt like I got fleeced on my 2016 MX 2.0 with fsd lease, so I inquired almost daily in December regarding a showroom adjusted MX.

BTW, the range on the 90kwh was terrible, had the shudder “fixed” twice, auto door was stuck, ghosting, water leak from fwd opening...

When they allowed showroom and test drive models to be sold late December, I called expecting a typical $2k discount, but the OA did a thorough search and was shocked to see a white 100D 6 seater showroom car available for $17k off! Originally $98k with FSD, I told them to remove FSD, and the total with fee came out to $75k!

Done! Locked it up and was expecting a torn up car with paint scratches and seats worn. The driver seat did have a slight crease from people sitting it, but otherwise, paint is flawless and interior is mint. I drove it last night to see if it had the dreaded ghosting issue my old MX had, and happy to report it didn’t!

Rear cam seems to have higher resolution, door trims line up near perfect, just to point out a few differences.

As a side note, I returned my old MX last week and had a chance to see the new one as it just got off the truck. I was shocked to see it included 22” black turbines instead of the silver 20” on the build sheet! They called me 30 min after I left to tell me they had to take them off and give me a new set of 20”....I cried on the inside a little I have to admit haha.

I will update with pics as soon as new wheels come and chrome delete is complete thanks.

dkim, congrats on the new MX. sounds like you got a great deal. I just picked up my second MX in Paramus in December after the 3-year lease ran out on the old one. I was glad I didn’t order FSD on my last lease, but decided to go for it on this one. Figured another 3 years is enough time to see differences between FSD and Autopilot this time.

I’m curious where you are getting your chrome delete done as the shop that I worked with before is no longer around. Please post pics and your thoughts when it’s done,

View attachment 495849 Picked up my 2nd MX on Monday. I felt like I got fleeced on my 2016 MX 2.0 with fsd lease, so I inquired almost daily in December regarding a showroom adjusted MX.

Congrats! You surely got a great deal! I have been monitoring Tesla's website and EV-CPO and haven't found anything even close to that. Tesla's sales advisors have been less than helpful here in South Florida (Miami/Fort Lauderdale area). I found a 2019 Standard Range that had 800 miles on it and a $5k discount and when I looked at the lease numbers found out that they are really bad and also learned that Tesla is calculating the residuals based on the price after discounts and not based on MSRP, which makes the lease terms even worse so after a long back and forth discussion with the SA and Tesla Finance, I decided to walk out.

If I find something like yours, I would jump on it immediately! Just out of curiosity, did you lease or buy and do you mind sharing how your numbers ended?

Cheers and enjoy your new ride!

Last edited:
I ended up buying it because of section 179.

The lease residuals were terrible (I think like 44% for 36/12) not to mention the MF. This had 39 miles on the odometer as a showroom car, but they must have driven it up from PA because when I got it it had 200. The lease for 36/12 would have been $1100 with $2200 due at signing which wasn't terrible either. I looked up used 100d prices, and purchase made more sense based on my "research".

Still shocked it was in mint condition as I read horror stories of adjustment cars with cosmetic issues

I ended up buying it because of section 179.

The lease residuals were terrible (I think like 44% for 36/12) not to mention the MF. This had 39 miles on the odometer as a showroom car, but they must have driven it up from PA because when I got it it had 200. The lease for 36/12 would have been $1100 with $2200 due at signing which wasn't terrible either. I looked up used 100d prices, and purchase made more sense based on my "research".

Still shocked it was in mint condition as I read horror stories of adjustment cars with cosmetic issues

Thanks for sharing. That was my experience too. Sweet deal! I'd like to talk to your sales advisor :rolleyes:

Cheers

Congrats, showroom cars can be incredible values. My P100D X was picked up end of Q2 2019. It had an original MSRP of $160k and sold for only $82k. Had every single option, white 6 seater, fsd, 22s but negative was it had over 2k miles and MCU1.
Woah, what is a showroom car exactly, and what does it go through that makes Tesla willing to sell it for half off? Are we just talking about the cars that Tesla uses for test drives?

Well, I’ll be doing my own chrome delete...don’t want to pay $800-1200 for someone to do it.

Watched a ton of videos, bought some 3m vinyl from amazon. Really easy to do! I recommend it as a DIY project

Attachments

• 98530333-464B-4FEC-9103-DE4EDE73D9C0.jpeg
    98530333-464B-4FEC-9103-DE4EDE73D9C0.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 110
  • D74505FB-B40C-466F-8952-CDB63D6C0C5F.jpeg
    D74505FB-B40C-466F-8952-CDB63D6C0C5F.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 108
Amazing deal DKim12! Is there a place to search for showroom cars like this for sale?

My current lease on my 2017 MX75D is coming due in a few months and I am looking for a deal on a in-stock showroom MX100D, with all options.

Any help or direction you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I don’t think it’s replicable until end of each quarter. I called daily when Elon opened showroom and test drive cars up for sale mid December.
The evcpo website and “hidden Tesla showroom deals” defunct website just weren’t good enough to see what was available.

I would suggest calling your store and others around you daily near the end of each quarter...maybe it was just luck but I was losing hope until this one popped up.

Woah, what is a showroom car exactly, and what does it go through that makes Tesla willing to sell it for half off? Are we just talking about the cars that Tesla uses for test drives?

Yea it's the car in the showroom and has been used for test drives. Sold as new, so gets all the tax rebates if available. The final 3 days of the quarter are the best time to get these deals and you just need to be in contact with a Tesla OA (call local Tesla store) and a ton of luck. The biggest discounts are not listed on the website and typically go to previous owners who are contacted directly by the OA. Also mine was discounted nearly 50% but keep in mind the S and X had huge price drops and some options became standard.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC and dkim12
I spoke with the manager of my local Tesla store who sold us our current Model X, and he said they have one 2019 MX Performance with 1,500 miles on it that was used a test drive car. He offered a $9,000 discount, which is not enough for a car with so many miles.

When I bought my 2017 MX 75D, it was a showroom car, loaded with all options and a MSRP of $114k. They discounted that car by $17k, and it had only about 50 miles on it. It was effectively brand new. I did buy my 2017 at the end of Sept, which coincides with your theory of the end of quarter incentives.

I will keep looking. My lease isn't officially up till Sept of this year, but I'm hoping Tesla will take my car back early if I buy something new. Does Tesla typically do this.....do early lease returns? Almost all other luxury brands do.

I spoke with the manager of my local Tesla store who sold us our current Model X, and he said they have one 2019 MX Performance with 1,500 miles on it that was used a test drive car. He offered a $9,000 discount, which is not enough for a car with so many miles.

When I bought my 2017 MX 75D, it was a showroom car, loaded with all options and a MSRP of $114k. They discounted that car by $17k, and it had only about 50 miles on it. It was effectively brand new. I did buy my 2017 at the end of Sept, which coincides with your theory of the end of quarter incentives.

I will keep looking. My lease isn't officially up till Sept of this year, but I'm hoping Tesla will take my car back early if I buy something new. Does Tesla typically do this.....do early lease returns? Almost all other luxury brands do.

I had a similar experience as yours, but with a Model S at the end of 2016. I did ask a couple of months ago if I could return my lease early ("pull ahead"), and they said that Tesla doesn't offer that option. I returned my car at the end of the lease and I'm still on the look for a MX (I still have another vehicle in the meantime).

MyModelX.JPG
The 22's totally make the car look MUCH better IMHO. Once you have them on, you drop the suspension down to low and you have a bad#@ looking X! Disclaimer...I run the 20's with Nokian studded tires in the winter up here and then throw the 22's on in April.