Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Showroom Model X in HK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm an early reservation holder for the Model X.
Just had a call from Tesla announcing that a LHD Model X has arrived in Hong Kong and will be available for viewing, initially by reservation holders by appointment, in Repulse Bay, from tomorrow until 6 August.
No test drives planned at this time, as it is LHD - though Tesla arranged for a LHD Model S to be test driven around an agreed route at Cyberport - it cost them quite a few front wheels as people hit the kerbs....
Salesman said 'my' Model X will be delivered this year.
My wife's concern - she'll be the main driver - I'll inherit her Model S - is whether there is enough headroom to open the rear doors in our local car parks....

Reactions: FequalsMA
Congrats, keep us posted on the ownership experience. In addition to overhead clearence, I'm a bit taken back at how it's wider than the Model S and the Model S already has space issues at some charging spots where you can only park a S and an i3/Leaf but not 2 Model S together. Some people at Science Park SC already make it hard for me to open the door sometime when they park too close to one side.... imagine 2 Model Xs...

Thanks for that! I shall take my tape measure. I was under the impression that the S and X were built on the same 'platform' and therefore would be the same width - the S is certainly wide enough - hard to imagine the X *needs* to be wider.
I spend a few thousand dollars every year repairing the passenger side rear quarter as my wife and I both misfire the width of our S!
If the X is significantly wider than the S it will be a challenge to park it in HK. My wife is already grumbling that she will be unable to open the falcon doors in some of our local car parks because of low headroom - so I may not be able to comment on ownership - we may stick to Roadster and S and forgo the X-perience....

Jason90: I would be highly curious to know if the MX's camera (behind the interior rear view mirror) module has one or two (or more) cameras? As well as if the eventual HK RHD ver. of MX would have the fully automated charge port hatch?

As the recent news about Tesla parting its way with Mobileye is an exciting news, as this seems to suggest that Tesla is about to launch (or already building) more advanced Autopilot technologies in its cars. In order to take the Autopilot functionalities to the next level, one would need a stereo cameras (i.e., 2 or more cams) set up, so the car / computer can see like human eyes with depth and better dimensional awareness, as well as more advanced sensors set up.

Automated charge port hatch could be a precursor to "robotic" / fully automated charging functionality waiting to be activated.

Agreed on the MX's width and the ceiling height issues... both will prove to be problematic in HK.

Thanks for that! I shall take my tape measure.

these are the Model X dimensions

Overall Length 198.3” 5,035.6mm
Overall width including mirrors 89.4” 2,271mm
Overall width including folded mirrors 81.6” 2,073mm
Overall width excluding mirrors 78.7” 1,999mm
Overall height 66.3” 1,684mm
Wheel base 116.7” 2,965mm
Overhang front 38.3” 973.6mm
Overhang rear 43.2” 1097.7mm
Ground clearance low 6.7” 171mm
GC Std (w/o hitch attachments) 8.3” 211mm
GC Very high (w/o hitch attachments) 8.8” 223mm
Front track 67.1” 1,704.5mm
Rear track 66.9” 1,710mm
Front head room 41.7” 1,059mm
Middle head room 40.7” 1,034mm
3[SUP]rd[/SUP] head room 37.8” 960mm
Front Leg room 41.2” 1,046mm
Middle leg room 38.4” 975mm
3[SUP]rd[/SUP] row leg room 32.7” 831mm
Front shoulder room 60.7” 1,542mm
Middle shoulder room 56.8” 1,443mm
3[SUP]rd[/SUP] row shoulder room 40.0” 1,016mm
Front hip room 55.6” 1,397mm
Middle hip room 59.0” 1,499mm
Gross Vehicle Weight P90D 6,682lbs 3,031kg

Turning circle 40.7'. 11.4m

As for the Model S, its 77" in width (or 1963mm) excluding mirrors

Alas unable to make the demonstration Sunday as stuck in Korea by technical problem with Korean Airlines 747.
Today received a 'Configure my Model X' link.
More or less maxed out P90D with ludicrous speed upgrade (HK$78,000), metallic paint, 7 seats, leather seats & 22" wheels is HK$1,154,300 - additional items not included in that price are: Ultra Hi-Fi 19,400; Towing 5,800; High Power charger 11,600.
Most basic 60D is HK$629,600 i.e. 5 seats, no autopilot, no HEPA filter etc.

Alas unable to make the demonstration Sunday as stuck in Korea by technical problem with Korean Airlines 747.
Today received a 'Configure my Model X' link.
More or less maxed out P90D with ludicrous speed upgrade (HK$78,000), metallic paint, 7 seats, leather seats & 22" wheels is HK$1,154,300 - additional items not included in that price are: Ultra Hi-Fi 19,400; Towing 5,800; High Power charger 11,600.
Most basic 60D is HK$629,600 i.e. 5 seats, no autopilot, no HEPA filter etc.

what reservation number are you? I'm 3xx so want to work out when I get to configure...

Reservation # 12x, got invited to configure this morning and to view the car in Repulse Bay. Done both this afternoon. Delivery date not shown on Design Studio, salesman said it should arrive late 2016 or early 2017. Fingers crossed.

I'm general production reservation #9.
Saw the X's yesterday, and ordered this morning.
Salesman reckoned the car should be here early next year.
The Tesla showroom is all blacked out with a salesman standing on the step like a speakeasy.
They have two cars - a red Signature with white 7 seat interior and a white standard model with a black 6 seat interior.
I guess the most important question in Hong Kong is 'what is the minimum headroom needed to get in or out of the rear doors?'
They need 2.25m to fully open, but at 2m the doors are half open and it is quite easy for a normally physically able adult to climb in or out through the gap - not elegant - but not difficult.
In reply to Capt Kong's question - only one video camera. Forgot to ask about automated charge port hatch, but, given that the car seems to have automated everything, I wouldn't be surprised. The front doors open and close automatically - step on the brake and the driver's door closes. Press a button on the third row seat and the head rest folds automatically to allow the seat to be folded flat.
The driver's position feels very similar to a Model S. The controls and layout are similar.
Hard to comment on the large windscreen as the whole showroom, including the ceiling, was draped in black, so couldn't get the 'big sky' feel.
The power second row seats and quick and very elegant.
The white seats are very cool looking, but the salesman was unable to convince my wife to take a chace on them - he assured her they would not stain as they are a new synthetic material developed by Tesla. She balked at 'synthetic'...
The car does not seem too big, though it is about the same size as an Audi Q7 and about 8cm wider than a Model S.
The frunk seems smaller than on the S, though it will hold a set of golf clubs.
Not much more to say - there were no surprises given the detail on the website, but the car seemed very well finished.
The doors are cool.
The paint colours are much better looking in real life than on the website (no surprise) - in particular the 'midnight silver' is to me a dark grey - I liked it but my wife declared it too similar to her Model S and has chosen the blue, which is also nice.
Order done - now enjoying my one week cooling-off period and then will presumably receive a rough delivery estimate....

xxxxxxxx
They need 2.25m to fully open, but at 2m the doors are half open and it is quite easy for a normally physically able adult to climb in or out through the gap - not elegant - but not difficult.
xxxxxxxx
The car does not seem too big, though it is about the same size as an Audi Q7 and about 8cm wider than a Model S.
The frunk seems smaller than on the S, though it will hold a set of golf clubs.

i guess the common concern regarding required height to open is valid - a lot of car parks have a 1.8/ 1.9m high restriction, and if it requires a bit of nimbleness at 2meter height limit, that makes it a small downside. narrow carparks with low ceilings are gonna be annoying, unless the Summon function's no longer hampered by the TD's ban hammer. maybe they can set a date to allow it and i can check it on my car's calendar app... in the year 2080

personally i wished the X isn't so wide - i find my S a bit too wide than desired already, and the X is almost like trying to drivie a boat.

when you say the frunk can fit gold clubs, do you mean it is wide enough for the golf clubs length? on my S they've added this carpet fitting thing and the space isn't that big, i just use it to put my sports stuff so they don't stink up the cabin. gold clubs wouldn't fit due to the length.

Golf clubs length should fit across the width of the frunk.
The salesman assured me it will fit golf clubs. I don't play golf, so can't comment.
BTW, Overall the car looks similar to a BMW X6 on the outside - but with lots more space inside...