Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Showroom sign: 12 sensors + 2 cameras?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After Model X being delivered with dual camera housings, the discussion about Autopilot 2.0 hardware having two or more cameras came up.

Yesterday, I went to the brand new showroom in Luxembourg and found this very interesting image on the wall.

WP_20160720_10_44_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20160720_10_45_44_Pro.jpg

I remember seeing one illustration similar to this earlier in another showroom, but definitely without the radar range specs and two cameras listed (can't find one on the internet).

The second camera can hardly refer to the backup camera, as that's not part of Autopilot.

My only issue with assuming this is an update is that it says "?..a forward looking camera". Meaning there is only one looking forward which leads me to believe the second camera they are referring to is the backup cam.
While this is true they also don't mention the second camera meaning that anything is possible due to the vagueness of the description on the infographic.

My only issue with assuming this is an update is that it says "?..a forward looking camera". Meaning there is only one looking forward which leads me to believe the second camera they are referring to is the backup cam.

Possible, but I wouldn't expect the unrelated backup camera to be listed in the facts of an infographic about Autopilot. The longer paragraph mentions just one camera.

Either someone messed up or it really relates to the backup camera, but that would be more confusing than anything else.

Reactions: calisnow and Sather
Possible, but I wouldn't expect the unrelated backup camera to be listed in the facts of an infographic about Autopilot. The longer paragraph mentions just one camera.

Either someone messed up or it really relates to the backup camera, but that would be more confusing than anything else.
Yeah that is true, but I agree with you that is really confusing especially cause the backup camera as of current knowledge has nothing to do with AP like you mentioned.

We will just have to see.

View media item 115557Here is the Dual Camera mount that was apparently not supposed to have been installed with the driver's side exposed. It is clearly ready for dual cameras. My windshield was replaced due to a "swirl" optical flaw in the driver's field of vision. This is how mount came on with the install of the new windshield. After the Electrek article was published, Tesla Service center called wanting to correct the installation.

Separately, I will caution folks to copyright notice their posts. My photo was lifted by Electrek from a Facebook post of mine to a MX owners group.

From a practical standpoint, the backup camera couldn't be used anyway. Every notice how drops of water occlude the image?

View media item 115557Here is the Dual Camera mount that was apparently not supposed to have been installed with the driver's side exposed. It is clearly ready for dual cameras. My windshield was replaced due to a "swirl" optical flaw in the driver's field of vision. This is how mount came on with the install of the new windshield. After the Electrek article was published, Tesla Service center called wanting to correct the installation.

Separately, I will caution folks to copyright notice their posts. My photo was lifted by Electrek from a Facebook post of mine to a MX owners group.

Your link is not working.

Btw already cars in the launch event had dual camera housing, but the other camera slot was covered

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=NUI1Wjk5V3VfYTRabXd3MFJXU1BKUHdQeEtndHF3

The rear view mirror mounted in the center

Maybe they just simply forgot to put that cover to your windshield first?

Yesterday, I went to the brand new showroom in Luxembourg and found this very interesting image on the wall.

Thanks for posting this - that is exciting news. I agree with you - seems like the wording must refer to a dual camera autopilot - and if that showroom is brand new then perhaps the hardware upgrade is right around the corner. Good looking out!

BTW - I lived in Luxembourg for six months back in college - I'm a bit surprised they have a Tesla showroom. Luxembourg is extremely wealthy but it was kind of a sleepy, backward banking center when I was there. Everything closed early except restaurants, the whole place shuttered on Sundays. Do you live there?

Everyone calm down. This isn't new and you're reading too much into it. The 12+2 is 12 sensors (ultrasonic), 1 camera and 1 radar. That's it. The wording is a bit ambiguous but it is definitely not talking about two cameras. Radar+Camera + 12 ultrasonic sensors.

The wording is a bit ambiguous but it is definitely not talking about two cameras. Radar+Camera + 12 ultrasonic sensors.

The wording isn't ambiguous at all: it says "12+2 sensors + cameras". I'd be willing to buy that the second camera is the back up camera- a really odd choice, but I could buy it- but no one refers to a radar as a "camera". If they're trying to include the radar the natural way to write it would be "13+1 sensors + camera".

• Informative
Reactions: Magus and Matias
The wording isn't ambiguous at all: it says "12+2 sensors + cameras". I'd be willing to buy that the second camera is the back up camera- a really odd choice, but I could buy it- but no one refers to a radar as a "camera". If they're trying to include the radar the natural way to write it would be "13+1 sensors + camera".

But the are including the Radar, that's the thing. Both in the text above it and the first segment "160m Forward Radar"