Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Showroom Vehicle Turnover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a showroom car (2018) after my 2016 S90D was totaled in an accident. They seem to be selling many in the Bay Area as I had a number to choose from and it seemed like, based on the location of where they were at , were in each of the showrooms in the Bay Area: Santana row, Berkeley, factory, etc. savings ranged from $10-20k. Mine has 15 miles on it. Full warranty from date of pickup. Out with the old and in with the new. While the late 2018 is near identical to the 2019, the sunroof is no longer available. I’m guessing they wouldn’t want to have a sunroof car on the floor when hat is no longer available.

My one data point: Shortly after placing an order for a white MR Model 3 on March 14 of 2019, I was offered a test-drive LR AWD Model 3 with 1,000 miles. It was silver. That means that this car must have been at least six months old, since Tesla discontinued silver in September of 2018. I did my test drive out of the Dedham, MA store. I don't think the silver car was located there, but was at another Massachusetts store. (I ended up passing on this offer.) I've heard of test-drive cars being sold with both significantly fewer and significantly more mileage than this one had, but of course mileage will correlate only loosely with vehicle age, and not at all for showroom cars rather than test-drive cars.

In SoCal, I was at the West LA service center in mid-Dec 2018 as they were prepping the new showroom S to go to the Century City Mall location, then saw it there a week later. Same one in the mall showroom as of two weeks ago - 4 months. Went to another showroom this past weekend, and the S100D also has a sunroof, opened and on display as an option for prospective purchasers.

But, aside from those, the sunroof isn't necessarily an indicator of how long a showroom car may have been in stock, as I have heard from two people I know that just recently traded in older S's for new ones, for in stock verified "2019" vehicles, that they purchased 2019 S's with sunroofs. They were told S's still being made with sunroofs for 'in-stock' inventory fulfillment, but just not available to configure and order online (which seems to comport with the reports that a person can still special order with a sunroof).

They were told S's still being made with sunroofs for 'in-stock' inventory fulfillment, but just not available to configure and order online (which seems to comport with the reports that a person can still special order with a sunroof).

Interesting. Guess they are just trying to clean out their parts? Surprised they aren't keeping them in case any current owners need replacements.