Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shudder @ 90mph: Alignment already?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y’all, I think I’m asking a near-rhetorical question, but figured I’d probe the hive mind. I have a LR AWD 73xxx VIN (11/20 delivery, September build) that’s been relatively problem-free. I’ve got about 7,400 miles on the Odometer.

Recently, at speeds of 90mph+ (yes, I know, don‘t drive that fast) there is a noticeable oscillating vibration car-wide, which I assume is some sort of alignment issue. The weird part is that it never cropped up until I did a few runs at 100mph+ (in traffic!) on my way home from across the lake here and then suddenly the vibration 90+ appeared. Maybe also a weird wear problem on the tires?

Any other similar experiences? I’ve already set a service appointment to rotate tires and do alignment.

Yes, now this is why this forum rocks. That sounds possible (especially since it cropped up after I whipped the tires a bit).

To note, I was in TRAFFIC at 90+ and I needed to pass, and well, the only way to pass is to dig in deeper on that right foot. Had a lot more running room at 110 but needed to scale back and stop tempting Valhalla.

Appreciate y’all.

I just got my car back last week for the same issue, any speed above 75mph, the whole car would start to vibrate (started during a road trip down the 5). Took it on a road test with the tech, he noticed it. My steering wheel was also off by a couple of degrees. They rebalanced the wheels and perfomed a four wheel alignment (adjusted the toe). It did the trick. I wasn't sure if they were going to charge me at first, but it was all free of charge.

I was also pleased to see that my tread depth was at 8 all around after 5000 miles, and didn't need a rotation yet. Gave me some hope that I'd make it more than 10k miles on the 20" stock inductions.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyF4
Thursday’s my day so I’ll report back. New Orleans service center is usually pretty on point but I’ll request all the services suggested. I noticed the wheel balance weights are all different sizes on my inductions, so I can’t be sure which one (or ones) I lost.

As an attorney, I cannot suggest explaining any such circumstance to an officer of the law.

DarkstarY: If a tire is "severely out of balance", why is it still on the car? After 7400 miles, the tire probably has an abnormal wear pattern. At 90mph, even with proper balancing, a tire with a problem is going to continue to be...a...tire...with a problem.

DarkstarY: If a tire is "severely out of balance", why is it still on the car? After 7400 miles, the tire probably has an abnormal wear pattern. At 90mph, even with proper balancing, a tire with a problem is going to continue to be...a...tire...with a problem.
Yes, I agree. I have three original tires and one that was replaced @ around 5k miles (due to a bolt I picked up from a construction site). But I can’t believe that much wear difference could have just cropped up in like 72 hours. Prior to Tues of this week, it was a non-issue.

Tesla service wants to take a ride with me (they “do not operate the vehicle at extra-legal speeds”) to do a more thorough diagnosis. They’ve been great as usual. Monday afternoon we’ll know.

Hey y’all, I think I’m asking a near-rhetorical question, but figured I’d probe the hive mind. I have a LR AWD 73xxx VIN (11/20 delivery, September build) that’s been relatively problem-free. I’ve got about 7,400 miles on the Odometer.

Recently, at speeds of 90mph+ (yes, I know, don‘t drive that fast) there is a noticeable oscillating vibration car-wide, which I assume is some sort of alignment issue. The weird part is that it never cropped up until I did a few runs at 100mph+ (in traffic!) on my way home from across the lake here and then suddenly the vibration 90+ appeared. Maybe also a weird wear problem on the tires?

Any other similar experiences? I’ve already set a service appointment to rotate tires and do alignment.
Come to Texas where 90 is the new 70.:cool:

I have the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 (M+S). My understanding is that they do
When the tesla service center inspected them they said they found one tire with foam that was loose.
Yup, same tire. I believe this is true of all MYLR from ‘21 (although I have seen some other tires on a few, so I’m curious if all have the Goodyears or not). But that’s a good theory, especially because I concur it’s like an unbalanced washing machine - something tumbling inside that causing a pulsating vibration.

EDIT: Yes, tire rack confirms that these tires have “soundcomfort tech” which is foam… plot thickens.

Last edited: