Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shudder vibration service appointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 model s 75d has the shudder / vibration problem. I have taken the car in once before about this and the technician was not able to feel the shudder / vibration. Vancouver, BC service center. I have another appointment this friday for the same issue. My warranty expires on August 4th. My question to owners who have this issue is has anything ever broken because of this issue? I don't really know how to react if they say they cannot detect a problem or they can't do anything about it. The car has been awesome for the last 4 years and other the the shudder / vibration issue there is nothing I can really complain about. Driving the car everyday is as fun as it was the first day I got it. I even attached a photo of the shudder / vibration service bulletin when booking the service appointment. Has anyone had this issue fixed in any of the model s cars?

I’m having similar experience with my car. Sometimes the shudder on acceleration is clearly there (and disappointing). I’ve brought my car to SC on two occasions and both times shudder was magically absent. So annoying. I’m waiting now for it to gradually get worse and more reliable, so to speak, then I’ll bring it in.

You may want to try catching it on video. Maybe SC would acknowledge that.

My 2017 model s 75d has the shudder / vibration problem. I have taken the car in once before about this and the technician was not able to feel the shudder / vibration. Vancouver, BC service center. I have another appointment this friday for the same issue. My warranty expires on August 4th. My question to owners who have this issue is has anything ever broken because of this issue? I don't really know how to react if they say they cannot detect a problem or they can't do anything about it. The car has been awesome for the last 4 years and other the the shudder / vibration issue there is nothing I can really complain about. Driving the car everyday is as fun as it was the first day I got it. I even attached a photo of the shudder / vibration service bulletin when booking the service appointment. Has anyone had this issue fixed in any of the model s cars?
did you take them for a ride?...... if not, I would suggest t=doing that

I will pick up my car tomorrow but I had a look at the invoice and they did not fix it. Tech wet for a road test with shop supervisor ad they did tests at all suspension settings. They were not able to feel shudder vibration. Vehicle was inspected on hoist to check torque, front and rear suspension. Did not find any worn components in the suspension or excessive play. I will ask the tech to go for a ride but other then that I guess it is not as bad as other vehicles. I don't know as I have only felt it my car. As long as it is not dangerous the I guess I can deal with it. My warranty is also up August 4th.

From what I have read on the message boards people who have had parts replaced have had the issue come back. I'm guessing the real fix is too much of a cost that's probably why they don't want to fix it. This is the only issue I have had that has not been resolved.

Will see what happens when I pick the car up and talk to someone.

picked up my car and service said tech did not find anything wrong. Weird thing was he said I can book a mobile service to see if shudder can be felt then. I was not able to take them for a ride as it was very busy there. Will see what happens during the mobile service call which is next week. I am not really upset about it but just wondering what will happen if its gets worse in the coming years. Service advisor said it has been documented twice before warranty is up but they never felt the shudder to fix it so I don't know if that really helps me later. It will be four years August 4th since I got my car and it has been awesome and fun everyday. Just a little bummer when I feel the shudder.

picked up my car and service said tech did not find anything wrong. Weird thing was he said I can book a mobile service to see if shudder can be felt then. I was not able to take them for a ride as it was very busy there. Will see what happens during the mobile service call which is next week. I am not really upset about it but just wondering what will happen if its gets worse in the coming years. Service advisor said it has been documented twice before warranty is up but they never felt the shudder to fix it so I don't know if that really helps me later. It will be four years August 4th since I got my car and it has been awesome and fun everyday. Just a little bummer when I feel the shudder.
@DRK KNT There is a May2021 Front Halfshafts service bulletin that may be applicable to your car, you can find it here; Do you have shudder on hard acceleration? AKA death rattle?

I just had Tesla (Vancouver Powel st) fix this with new half-shafts on my 85d. A year ago they said it was normal but this time I did the following:
-submit a service request and use the wording in the bulletin of a vibration/shudder in front end with hard acceleration which is noticeable on standard suspension but even more noticeable with the high suspension setting
-made sure to charge to 90% to be sure car has max power for their test

The service advisor asked me two times to describe the symptoms almost as if they want to be sure I am describing the symptoms correctly.

I am happy they finally fixed it and no more shudder!

good to know. I have a mobile service appointment tomorrow. Will ask the mobile to go for a ride or ask them to drive to see if the shudder / vibration is felt. If that doesn't do it then I will most definitely be booking another service appointment at the powell street location and do what you said above. My warranty expires on August 4th but I have had two service requests at the fir street location in the last few months for the shudder / vibration issue.

Mobile service tech was able to feel shudder / vibration. Appointment to replace parts is for August 13th. Parts were ordered and got message today that parts have been delivered. Still kind of confused how two previous trips to service center were unsuccessful as far as being able to feel shudder / vibration. Mobile tech said maybe they did not get upto high enough speed or be able to do very hard acceleration because service center is in downtown. Mobile service was able to go onto highway near my work.

• Informative
Reactions: vapor trail
I too felt this slight shudder early on and when the bulletin was mentioning this happening to all S/X I put in a request to have it resolved. Initially they did not experience the shudder to satisfy the bulletin repair. Fast forward a year or so and my warranty is about up and on a recent road trip MA<>FL I definitely felt the shudder more so I put in a service request just before my warranty expired. Luckily at a different SC they replaced the following.

Concern: Customer states: There is also a shudder when performing hard acceleration. I felt this slightly early on in my ownership but now it’s more apparent. Would like this to be reviewed

Correction: Inspect Vehicle, Replace Front Halfshafts, and Axle Seal (Small Drive Unit)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
JACKSHAFT ASSY,
FR(1030632-00-A) 1.00

FRONT RIGHT HALF
SHAFT - DUAL
MOTOR(1030616-00-D) 1.00

FRONT LEFT HALF
SHAFT - DUAL
MOTOR(1030615-00-D) 1.00

Mobile service tech was able to feel shudder / vibration. Appointment to replace parts is for August 13th. Parts were ordered and got message today that parts have been delivered. Still kind of confused how two previous trips to service center were unsuccessful as far as being able to feel shudder / vibration. Mobile tech said maybe they did not get upto high enough speed or be able to do very hard acceleration because service center is in downtown. Mobile service was able to go onto highway near my work.
Can you post the part numbers that were ordered?

These are the parts replaced on my car back in 2019 for the shudder:

2x OUTPUT AXLE SEAL, DVI, HNBR 44 X 67(1065932-00-A)
CLVS ASSY,DBL ISO,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F(1055366-00- H)
HALFSHAFT, FR, RH, MODEL S HPDM(1030616-00-D
HALFSHAFT, FR, LH, MODEL S HPDM(1030615-00-D)
2x NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W(1020297-00-A)
2x WASHER SAFETY M24x39(1020296-00-B)

I just had this happen to me this morning MSP85D15. Wasn't driving hard, SOC @ 18%. I was on the interstate in heavy traffic when I noticed it. Particularly during regenerative braking and more severe the slower I was moving.

I first I thought it might be a flat. Sounded and felt like I was driving over those lane drift warning buzz indentations outside of the lane. What was concerning is there was a response lag to hitting the accelerator. And rolling resistance during acceleration from a stop. Felt like the magnet was sticking inside the motor? Felt very jerky at 1 to 5 mph.
At speeds of > 15 mph, I felt mild vibration (~40Hz) and a sound like a bad exhaust on a honda civic.
This concerned me because the closest service center is 2 hours away as I am working out of time for half the week.

I'm not sure if anyone can relate, but the only thing I can compare this to is the regenerative breaking jerkiness at >99% SOC.

There were no errors, it self corrected (thank God), and I have no idea how. I changed the regenerative breaking to low and after a short period of time it stopped. Unsure whether that is related.

I hope that this doesn't result in a trip to the service center.

I just had this happen to me this morning MSP85D15. Wasn't driving hard, SOC @ 18%. I was on the interstate in heavy traffic when I noticed it. Particularly during regenerative braking and more severe the slower I was moving.

I first I thought it might be a flat. Sounded and felt like I was driving over those lane drift warning buzz indentations outside of the lane. What was concerning is there was a response lag to hitting the accelerator. And rolling resistance during acceleration from a stop. Felt like the magnet was sticking inside the motor? Felt very jerky at 1 to 5 mph.
At speeds of > 15 mph, I felt mild vibration (~40Hz) and a sound like a bad exhaust on a honda civic.
This concerned me because the closest service center is 2 hours away as I am working out of time for half the week.

I'm not sure if anyone can relate, but the only thing I can compare this to is the regenerative breaking jerkiness at >99% SOC.

There were no errors, it self corrected (thank God), and I have no idea how. I changed the regenerative breaking to low and after a short period of time it stopped. Unsure whether that is related.

I hope that this doesn't result in a trip to the service center.

Not 100% sure your problem matches the "shudder under acceleration" issue. With the acceleration shudder, it's usually noticeable when accelerating hard from stop or low speed. I personally haven't heard of this issue occurring during regen braking or when just cruising along.

just read this thead. I have had all of these issues.
Previous 4 times they replace the shafts, only had them say 'we cant replicate it one' then I told them to try again. It got the pointless replacement of half shafts.

Now, 4 years into owning my model x (its still in warranty as they replaced the first one as had some many issues) and the problem keeps coming back again and again. Only this time, its really internmittent and I have held off taking to service because I know they will just say they cant replicate it, Now its finally got worse so I can replciate it more easily.

But basically its the exact same story here in the UK as you guys are having over there in every way.

I just posted on this topic and I am going to look at whether there is anything can be done legally as its cost me a fortune in time off work to go to London all the time to get this 'not fixed'.

Reactions: vapor trail