Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shuddergate ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lowtek

Jan 2, 2020
Alabama, USA
Moderator note (bmah): Fixed autocorrect-induced typo in thread title.

Anyone with late 2019 or early 2020 time frame Model X P100Ds experiencing the axle shuttering issue?

It seems, according to the Telsa official forum, that the ones having the issues are being told that it's normal and can't be fixed and to only accelerate hard with the suspension set to low.

Nice to know on a $120K vehicle that Yugo like ride quality is normal. Hoping that this isn't the case but based on everything I'm reading it seems Tesla could care less post sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone with late 2019 or early 2020 time frame Model X P100Ds experiencing the axle shuttering issue?

It seems, according to the Telsa official forum, that the ones having the issues are being told that it's normal and can't be fixed and to only accelerate hard with the suspension set to low.

Nice to know on a $120K vehicle that Yugo like ride quality is normal. Hoping that this isn't the case but based on everything I'm reading it seems Tesla could care less post sale.
What is "shuttering"?
Is it like flapping in the wind?

Yea, I see that now. There's a topic about this on just about every forum. It's apparently a very common widespread issue that has not been resolved by Telsa in the newest versions of the X.

Unbelievable that the common reported response from Tesla is basically "Yea, sorry bro". $120K vehicle.

I'm curious about the sound others are experiencing with Ravens. I have this problem but I'm not sure if mine has a more urgent issue. In short I can feel the slight shudder, however in the last thousand miles or so you can hear it making a more metallic rattle sound under even gentle acceleration. It reminds me a lot of detonation in an ICE car.

I've taken it into Tesla a few times for this. The first few times they said it was normal. The last time I couldn't reproduce the issue but provided videos and they stated they had a fix. When I picked the car up they had mistaken my issue with the "non-raven" version and said it was normal again. The noise is loud enough that when I have passengers they are startled and ask what's wrong with it...

Yea, I see that now. There's a topic about this on just about every forum. It's apparently a very common widespread issue that has not been resolved by Telsa in the newest versions of the X.

Unbelievable that the common reported response from Tesla is basically "Yea, sorry bro". $120K vehicle.

I just had my half shafts replaced after the 2nd or 3rd time. This is a replacement after performing the TSB last year. I did not receive any pushback from Tesla. Seems like they do these frequently and can get them done fast. Sadly.

2020 Raven with a build date late November. Starting hearing the grinding noise today with 1200 km on the clock. It was really cold here today (-17c) so I thought it might have something to do with that. Guess not since others seem to have the same problem.