Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shuddergate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
July 2019 build "Raven" Model X Performance Ludicrous. At 12,300 km / 7,600 miles I am starting to notice some roughness in the drive train with the suspension set on Standard and moderate acceleration. It starts at around 31 mph / 50 kmh. Set it to low and it is not noticeable. It doesn't bother me enough to set it to low.

It is disappointing that they haven't come up with an engineering solution to solve this yet. I'm sure it will not be acceptable for some owners, however for me this car's drive train is still much smoother than any ICE car.

• Informative
Reactions: Soey22
I found the shudder annoying enough that I insisted Tesla fix it despite a lot of reluctance of their part. It is certainly annoying that the problem persists (in new cars; mine is fine, at least for now). I don't want to trivialize the problem.

But, would it keep me from buying an X? There'd have to be another car that meets our current wants and needs, and there sure isn't. If we lost our X tomorrow, we'd definitely buy another one. My wife rarely accelerated enough to get the shudder when ours had the problem, and I suppose I could learn to do that if I had to.

I guess the answer will be very different from LR and Perf owners. As LR owner I don't care about acceleration that much. When I started feeling the shudder, I just switched to chill mode, which made my family happier by the way, as apparently no one enjoys sudden hard acceleration until it's done with a warning and on purpose. As others mentioned switching to low also eliminates the issue.

I'd think hard about buying again. It prevents fast acceleration so I see little point in a Performance X. Yes, probably would buy again, with some reluctance - besides this one issue, it's an awesome vehicle.
I agree. Mine is currently in service to fix the shudder issue. Hard acceleration at any height has the embarrassing shudder. I was showing off launch mode about a month ago and it was terrible how the front end appeared as if it was going to tear away from the rest of the body.

Finally no shudder after the service. Hope it lasts forever, fingers crossed.
Screenshot_20200312-231213_Drive.jpg

Finally no shudder after the service. Hope it lasts forever, fingers crossed. View attachment 521138

July 2019 P100D MX Raven
I purchased the ESA...did they do the work no questions asked? I ask as I bought it specifically for shuddergate knowing it’s going to be an ongoing issue. For now I hear you have to push them while in warranty before ESA kicks in. I’m ready to get mine fixed every 10k km if I need to. Got my shudder at 8k km but waiting for better fix....currently at 16k km and it’s so bad the entire car shakes really bad.

July 2019 P100D MX Raven
I purchased the ESA...did they do the work no questions asked? I ask as I bought it specifically for shuddergate knowing it’s going to be an ongoing issue. For now I hear you have to push them while in warranty before ESA kicks in. I’m ready to get mine fixed every 10k km if I need to. Got my shudder at 8k km but waiting for better fix....currently at 16k km and it’s so bad the entire car shakes really bad.
No questions asked.