TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Shut down with supercharger in sight

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by David99, Oct 23, 2019.

1. BigNick

BigNick Disaffected Member

Friendly people in Utah. I had to push by myself in PA.

2. JHuberman

JHuberman Member

It would be helpful if there was an adaptor that would allow another Tesla to give some charge to the stranded Tesla.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. passhard

passhard Member

dang.....I'd rather run out of gas! LOL

4. Babaron

Babaron Member

I got one for you. I traveled from Dayton Ohio to Detroit right after I got my 2014 model S. Made it up no problem. When I set the navigation to take me back home it said I had enough to get to the next supercharger so I just got on my way without paying much attention. It turns out that the nearest supercharger is in Windsor Canada across the border. The next nearest is in Toledo which was too far for my charge level.

Once I figured out what was happening it was too late and I had to keep going to Toledo. I ended up drafting and driving like my grandma but finally made it to Toledo 6 miles after the meter read 0%. I wouldn’t dare try that now; the car has 140,000 miles on it and is five years old. And by the way they now have super chargers in the Detroit area.

• Like x 1
  5. Hugh-SG

Hugh-SG Member

Thank you for telling us about your misadventure. Your level headed and candid report was educational and I very much appreciated the thoughts of others who have experienced this and those who responded with out trolling the poor chap. Civility much appreciated.

I got caught once by strong headwinds and AC use traveling from Ritzville, WA towards Seattle.

When I left Ritzville it said arriving at Clu Elum TSC at 18%, then 15%, then 12%. Ellensburg showed all SC's in use, so I continued west with the car predicting arriving at 10% SOC.

Well....I pulled in to Clu Elum at 5.5% (23km's left on the dial). I plugged in, lefty the windows slightly down, turned off everything and went for a short walk to let my thirst beast guzzle down some much needed energy with all loads removed.

Pure pucker factor for the final 15km into Clu Elum. And the lesson here... Don't push it unless you have to.

If I may offer a thought David, you mention you regularly driving the battery down to single digits range.

Anything regularly below below 20% SOC can do cumulative damage to the battery.

All the literature and engineering analysis's I've read make it very clear you can drastically reduce the range available and life of an Li ion battery by discharging it to nearly empty.

Therefore may I refer some reading to you.

The Secret Life Of An EV Battery | CleanTechnica

Although old, it is still very much correct. For max battery life, only go to 100% charge when you absolutely have to.

Instead stick to 85-25% charging cycle and your battery will reward you with a long life and good range for a very long time.

Food for thought,
    Cheers! Hugh-SG

• Like x 1
  6. SageBrush

SageBrush REJECT Fascism

That is a really good tip since the final straw that often pushes the car into shut-down mode is not the SoC per se but the drop in voltage from load.

I had not connected the dots here, so thanks.
    Your post caused me to remember my one low battery event when I arrived home with 6% range remaining. At the time I thought that was plenty of reserve but I didn't think about my 5 miles going uphill into our foothills in terms of the voltage sag it would cause.

• Like x 1
  7. cduzz

cduzz Member

Does anyone know one way or the other if the preconditioning for supercharging is disabled if the battery is below a certain capacity? I've noticed that I can put an enormous load on my car just with the HVAC, I suspect the battery heaters are similarly capable of nuking any remaining capacity if they turn on when there isn't enough there there.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush REJECT Fascism

IIRC pre-conditioning only happens when SoC is > 20%

• Like x 1
  9. derkan

derkan June Bug

There was a post somewhere discussing the first 6% of supposed state of charge aren't to be trusted for accuracy. The story there was, when planning trips that end up with SOC of 6% or less at next charging stop, don't trust it. Since that post I started considering 6% the new 0%.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. doghousePVD

doghousePVD My grandfather’s car

Technically it is very hard to determine exactly how much energy is left in a battery. It is not an exact science. The results depend temperature (of batteries, cable, motors), prior discharge or regen, suddenness of changes in consumption or regen, etc.

Detecting how much gasoline is in a tank is trivial. Gasoline cars do not tell you the exact # of miles left. Even so, no gas gauge measures the last bit of gasoline in tablespoons, just "E" and flashing.

11. Rick M

Rick M Member

I think one giant leap Tesla could make it to eliminate "miles remaining" and just show "percentage remaining", just like a phone. At least have this on by default.

• Funny x 2
  12. Hugh-SG

Hugh-SG Member

#112 Hugh-SG, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Mis read what you said, so let me edit this.

I would like to see them show both SOC and Distance remaining estimates instead of just one or the other..

Food for thought,
    Cheers, Hugh-SG

13. immolated

immolated Member

This is possible, if you have miles remaining on the dash, you can also see your current and estimated destination battery % with the energy graph up.

14. cpa

cpa Active Member

True, but only if you are navigating to a destination. I cannot speak for others, but I have no need to show destinations to places that I have been to before. Having to dial into a destination just adds another layer of crap on the dashboard and touchscreen that is superfluous.

15. Bluesmoods

Bluesmoods New Member

16. Bluesmoods

Bluesmoods New Member

Thanks for posting this. I guess as a Pilot, I use the same logistics and strategy similar to flying a jet airplane. I figure the amount of energy required to reach my destination + a 25 mile reserve. So whatever that number is, it becomes "My" zero percent. Never have an issue and never experience range anxiety. Full disclosure...I have a new AWD extended range version and really have not traveled too far as of yet. Use my formula and you will never have an issue...

• Like x 1