Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shutter when stopping after hard braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Raven 2020. If I’m ever hard braking to a stop, the last second or so of the stop seems to make the car shutter. It feels like something in the front end and reminds me of ABS kicking in. I’m not braking hard enough for that to kick in, but it is annoying sometimes.

On a related note, the car makes clunky noises sometimes when starting to accelerate or coming to a stop slowly. Maybe they’re related. But maybe it’s the brake hold engaging/disengaging loudly randomly.

Is this something that’s an issue and/or fixable?

I've been encountering that same low speed studder with my February build LR+. I usually feel it backing up an incline or when coming to a stop. Everytime I ask the service center about it, they tell me it's a firmware issue with the rear motor that'll be fixed in the future. I'm starting to wonder if it's a hardware issue related to a bad batch of rear drive units.

I've been encountering that same low speed studder with my February build LR+. I usually feel it backing up an incline or when coming to a stop. Everytime I ask the service center about it, they tell me it's a firmware issue with the rear motor that'll be fixed in the future. I'm starting to wonder if it's a hardware issue related to a bad batch of rear drive units.

Doubtful.

I have the same issue in my new X (700 miles), since day 1. I have been patiently waiting for some info or a fix to come out, however we seem to be drowned out by the other and seemingly much more common shudder related to the drive axels on acceleration vs braking like we are referring to.

Hi All, I have the same issue since day 1 as well. I picked up my new MX LR+ end of May (not sure how to check on build date) but, currently with 3500 miles. I had a software update yesterday and it seem to fixed the issue or at least it’s less noticeable. New version is 2020.32.3. I normally feel the a shutter/light vibration doing stop and go at stop signs in my area but didn’t feel anything today. I’m not sure if the updated fixed the issue or if it’s just all in my head I’m hoping that it will. Can anyone here with the new software update confirm? I’ll do more testing when I’m back in the road.

Mine still clunks on acceleration since day one. Never had this issue on my pre-raven p100d , but the raven long rage plus clunks. Had the drive unit replaced and they still can't figure it out.

James May also complained about this clunk on acceleration on this model S on a recent video.

My old model 3 and pre raven X does not have this issue

2020 MX LR+, June 2020 build, and I’ve yet to experience any issues with accelerating, but definitely feel a little clunk/slip/shudder in the very last seconds of braking. Doesn’t even need to be hard braking and it is very very faint but once you feel it, you can’t miss it! It seems to only happen when using the brakes and not letting regen all the way to stop and hold. Haven’t raised the issue to service yet but will eventually.

The vibration is almost like driving over small rumble strips. It seems to be more prominent on an inclined surface. It also occurs when going in reverse at a steady pace between 1-2 mph.

They tell me it's a firmware issue, but no one has any idea if and when it will ever be fixed.

Interesting, not sure we are experiencing the same thing- mine almost feels like the last couple fractions of a second of braking to a stop the brakes lightly let off then reengage even though constant pressure is applied. Almost like a mini ABS event, but everything is dry and not even harsh braking (and much fainter than ABS). I’m almost positive it doesn’t happen in reverse because I always back in to my garage and I never feel it then. I don’t doubt it’s a firmware issue of sorts, everything on this car is controlled electronically so surely something could be rooted there. I’ll still bring it to service attention when I get a chance and see what they say.

AMP-MX, definitely bring it up and let us know what they say.

A couple things to add- Its interesting that most that I have heard mention this shudder on slowing (as opposed to the ever popular half shaft acceleration shudder) seem to have newer builds within the past several months.

Also, to add to what DaddyBus above mentioned, I do feel like there is a significant decrease after the same update, 2020.32.3 which leads me to believe it must be at least somewhat software/firmware related. I actually thought it had fixed it for a while, but its definitely still there, just less extreme it seems.