Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shutting off batteries at a certain percentage charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
Since I am playing with my setup with solar, batteries and a generator, trying to see how to make things work with the least amount of hand holding since I am finding out my system is so complex, things do not work as I was thinking, or hoping.

Now, if tesla had a 400 amp gateway, my issues go away, but, ...

Is there any way to program my gateway/batteries so if they hit a certain level, lets say 20%, they would turn off. If I lose power, and I cannot get enough solar to charge, the batteries now I believe drain to 0, then my generator kicks in. But, am under the impression to then get the batteries charging again may not be easy?
I do not want to learn this process too if I can avoid it. :)

Not that this helps, but Enphase has a setting labeled:

"Battery Shutdown Level" which, in an outage, will shutdown your battery to preserve 10% - 25% (user setable in 1% increments) of the battery to restart when the grid power is restored or solar is generating again.

Maybe Tesla has it somewhere or can add it.

Since I am playing with my setup with solar, batteries and a generator, trying to see how to make things work with the least amount of hand holding since I am finding out my system is so complex, things do not work as I was thinking, or hoping.

Now, if tesla had a 400 amp gateway, my issues go away, but, ...

Is there any way to program my gateway/batteries so if they hit a certain level, lets say 20%, they would turn off. If I lose power, and I cannot get enough solar to charge, the batteries now I believe drain to 0, then my generator kicks in. But, am under the impression to then get the batteries charging again may not be easy?
I do not want to learn this process too if I can avoid it. :)

I would call Tesla support and ask them to do this, it might just be a setting that level 2 can deploy.

Basically you want the useable portion of the battery smaller, currently the Powerwall will stop outputting power with 1-2 kWh left in the unit. and you want to leave more like 2-4 kWh in each unit.

Reactions: h2ofun
Not that this helps, but Enphase has a setting labeled:

"Battery Shutdown Level" which, in an outage, will shutdown your battery to preserve 10% - 25% (user setable in 1% increments) of the battery to restart when the grid power is restored or solar is generating again.

Maybe Tesla has it somewhere or can add it.
I think the powerwalls have this reserve but it is not user settable.