TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Shuttle service?

Discussion in 'North America' started by PineappleInc, Jul 30, 2017.

?

If there was a shuttle service at all/your local supercharger, would you use it?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. PineappleInc

PineappleInc New Member

As a Tesla owner and "ideas guy", I can't help but think a shuttle service at some supercharger locations would be a worthwhile investment.

I use the charger in Oxnard, CA all the time and while it's close enough to the mall, sometimes I want to go to the restaurant(s) and shops on the other side of the freeway or even on the other side of the shopping center without walking all the way or doing something like an Uber.

Am I the only one?

2. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

There's probably very few of you. Most of us only supercharge when we travel, since it's easier and more convenient to charge at home, plus we want to keep them open for travelers. So the idea of shuttles makes little sense.

3. Tiger

Tiger Member

Might be more of us with Model 3 ...

4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

This is where FSDC and the snake come in - have the car drop you where you want and go charge itself while you eat/shop...

5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

who would be paying for this service?

excepting CA and a handful of other places the SpCs aren't very busy and a good number of the SpC are adjacent to stores, restaurants and other services.

Lastly the majority of stops at a SpC are only 30-45 minutes hardly enough time to be taken somewhere and return in that time period.

• Like x 1
  6. Economite

Economite Member

Having this sort of service would be pretty inconsistent with the message about staying with one's car that Tesla is sending with the idle charges.

7. PineappleInc

PineappleInc New Member

Great comments, What if we change it up a bit? I'm hearing the same comments my fiends have mentioned:
    - Travelers
    - Needing to stay near the car, etc.

So let's flip it a bit, what if there was a service like Citi Bike, but with an electric golf cart.

You arrive at a charger, you want to eat/shop somewhere that's a bit too far to get done in the ~30min you're charging (ie. McDonalds is right next to the charger but you want to go to In n Out 1/2-1 mile away). So perhaps there are 4+ golft carts waiting next to the supercharger, pay per use ($3? $5? Timed?), and you just pick one up, use it while you charge, then drop it back off when you're done.

Not a fixed route shuttle, but a pay per use to get you where you want to be and back in time to be considerate of others who need to charge and not incur the idle charge.

Thoughts?

• Disagree x 1
  8. kort677

kort677 Active Member

still unnecessary since many of the SpC locations have businesses adjacent to the location. sometimes it is better to just keep things simple.