Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sick After Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is making me laugh my a** off.....it should be called "Who the Chevy Volt Was Made For"
Not everyone buys a Tesla for its acceleration. I’m probably just jealous, but it gets a little old reading about how fast everyone’s cars are. I would think that the acceleration of the base models would be more than adequate for most people.

Reactions: NYL12
Model S but as I said was a little sick so my brain was rendering a bit slow the visual information
If your reflexes are impaired, you probably shouldn't be driving (forget speeding, think pedestrians on hour hood because your brain didn't register them in time). If acceleration is what impairs your brain, that is what "chill" mode is for. :)

Last edited:
If your reflexes are impaired, you probably shouldn't be driving (forget speeding, think pedestrians on hour hood because your brain didn't register them in time). If acceleration is what impairs your brain, that is what "chill" mode is for. :)
I was sick before I got in the car.

P.S. I don't drive like lunatic. The fact that thi is my inly ticket proofs it :)

Had a similar experience when they let me take a P100D home overnight before deciding. Got myself nauseous after each launch, with my vision narrowing. Yeah I'm mid-50's so probably just getting old. IMO it was just too violent to be useful in daily driving, other than showing off to buddies. Or I guess for some extra punch at highway speeds, since the non-P models don't have all that much. I decided on the 100D, and rarely ever floor that, so $32K saved. Oh and Elon took away the cream interior on the P model, which sealed the decision.

Though I still don't understand what chill mode is for; 0-60 is around 7 seconds, slower than a Bolt. I find the normal mode quite easy to modulate speed, and can drive chill or blow around someone without having to change any settings.

Up to 1.5x faster on AC charging, but I agree real advantage is faster supercharging which when coupled with added range significantly reduces charging time on trips.
My point was you can get a 72A charger on a 75 if you really need it. It used to be a factory option, now you have to do it via service center - still much cheaper than buying a 100 battery.

10% faster than 72A charger - not much of a difference. AC charging speed is rarely a concern now with so many DC chargers out there - I rarely charge at 80A.
If an extra 24A matters to you (48 to 72) then maybe an additional 8A would also matter. That said, I also rarely need to charge at 80A. It did come handy when my wife and I had to share a charger for a while when parking on our driveway for a few weeks while our garage was converted into a workshop for a kitchen remodel we were doing. I would charge my car at 80A and leave hers to charge overnight at 48A. Usually I charge at 40A and she charges at 48A, but soon (whenever Elon gets around to signing my referral charger) each car will get their own HPWC sharing 80A between the two.

Last edited:
This is a crazy thread - I can handle more acceleration than my MS75D but the roads can’t and I’m not dragging her. She has no trouble at highway speed - lol - can move unlike anything on the road. I understand motion sickness but for too high a percentage of our population I blame the pills (not saying OP on pills necessarily). Real question is why buy a car that is too much for the owner, whether stiff suspension to get cool wheels or BMW that never blackens exhaust pipes 3 and 4.

Owned a P100D for about 6 months and this may be a first...but the constant torque and launches actually made it hard for my chiropractor to fix my strained neck and upper back! There were times ludicrous+ was tried and made things physically worst for me. So traded it back and got the 100D instead which I drive more sedately. Why not just chill mode on the P you may ask? Well..why pay for a P and drive it like a civic?

I will say however that the 100D feels slower off the line consistently when one is used to the P’s instant movement. After a few weeks, i forgot abt the P100’s feeling and thankfully my neck is better lol.

Yes there is a profound diff between 2.3 sec and 3.7 sec.

So traded it back and got the 100D instead which I drive more sedately. Why not just chill mode on the P you may ask? Well..why pay for a P and drive it like a civic?
A 6-month depreciation on a P100D probably would eat up most if not all the price difference to a 100D. P100D has the largest profit margin so to Tesla it's probably worth no more than 70% of the value since they could just manufacture a new one for 75% of the new price. How much did you get back or pay to trade a 6 month old P100D to a new 100D?

When I test drove the standard S 90D and they had me launch, my SO thought I was wimping out because I left off much sooner than she would have. I did it because I was feeling queasy with just the 90D's acceleration. The first weekend after I got the car, she launched it on full and my inner ear told me then and there that this was not for me!

Even the modest launches I occasionally do (about 1/3 accelerator) are enough for me. I launched from a traffic light the other day and noticed I was over the 40 mph speed limit before I had crossed the intersection. That's more than enough for any real world situations where I might need quick acceleration. The rest is just gravy I'm not going to ever use.

Reactions: f205v
A 6-month depreciation on a P100D probably would eat up most if not all the price difference to a 100D. P100D has the largest profit margin so to Tesla it's probably worth no more than 70% of the value since they could just manufacture a new one for 75% of the new price. How much did you get back or pay to trade a 6 month old P100D to a new 100D?

I got lucky. I found one of those loaded P100D unicorn discounts at 55k (Canadian) off with 1800km on it. I leased it as the capital cost reduction was essentially a free 55k courtesy Tesla lol. On trade in, I actually had 27k of positive equity in it which was rolled over to the 100D. Ie. original price of P100D was 210k cnd. I got it for 155k. Trade in value was 175k but I’d also made 6 payment down on the lease.

Didn’t really cost me a cent and the 100D was an inventory car with 15k off as well.

At times I remember the P ‘sickening’ launch lol.

I was afraid of that. Well, that gives me even more reason to eventually move on to the P100D.

i think i pulled almost a full car length ahead of a p85d on a freeway on ramp.
He probably thought i was a 100D, and didnt realize i had a red P in front.

I do not regret at all getting a P100D.
Each time i floor the car, it makes me laugh, and my passengers go "OH #@$#@".

Last edited:
Reactions: NYL12 and alloverx