Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

Sick of waiting and car breaking down. Any S/X lease take overs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put a reservation for the Model 3 on March 31, 2016. I've been planning to buy a Tesla ever since 2013 but I was never able to justify the cost so I held out until the Model 3.

I'm currently driving a 2003 Toyota Corolla with approximately 190,000 miles in the odometer and constant break downs. Within the past year, I've spent around $4k in major repairs to keep it running enough for me to commute to work (48 mile round trip).

Last year in September, I put in an order for a Model S 75D which I later cancelled thinking I could wait 4 more months for a Model 3. Since then, my reservation moved back by 5 to 7 more months and my Toyota's "check engine" light came back on and feels unsafe to drive. It's also starting to fall apart, literally. The interior door handle broke off a few months ago.

I'm losing my sanity over this. I don't want to invest any more in repairs nor gasoline. I considered leasing other electric cars while I wait, but they simply don't have the range for my daily commute, given that I can't charge at my apartment nor work. At least with a Tesla, it'd have enough range for the week and have my father charge it at his work during weekends, or I could use a supercharger during my lunch break once per week. At least until I purchase a house later this year.

Another thing is I'm working on multiple projects that use the unofficial Tesla API but can't really test without a Tesla.

Does anyone have a short-term lease (<= 10 months) for their Model S or Model X they'd like me to take over? I keep checking sites like Swapalease but am not able to find leases with so few months remaining.

If this doesn't work, I'll go with Plan B: Standing near a supercharger station with a cardboard sign that says "Will code for Model 3 reservation".

I see you are in LA. Have you considered checking out places like Midway Leasing ( Midway Fleet Leasing - Car Lease Los Angeles - Vehicle Leasing for New Economy, Commercial or Luxury vehicles in Los Angeles ) down in LA? Their google ad says 6 to 24 month car leases and looks like they also do custom leases. I see they list S and Xs, and honestly if you just want to get by until your Model 3 is delivered and keep your monthly lease amount down why not go with another Corolla, they have those too. You're already accustom to that car.

I too have an old car, a 2001 Avalon, that last year we put money into the AC system and new tires in the hopes it will hold up and I'd get a new car before it ended up costing us more money. I'm hoping my reservation invite for my Model 3 arrives before that happens but if we had to we could live with our Model S as a sole car for a while. Otherwise I'd be in your shoes looking at other options. One thing I won't do is give up on my Model 3 reservation even if it gets pushed back again. I should have my LR version this year (may hold out for AWD which for me is now Late 2018). My Avalon has been in the shop a few times over the past year and each time Toyota gave me a loaner new Corolla. Much better car comfort wise than my husband's 2003 Camry was before he traded it in for our Model S. It had newer features like a backup camera, and the sound system/AC was much better too. I could see grin and bearing gas station stops if I needed to go that route. I will say one thing that drove me crazy while I had the loaner was at the Starbucks drive thru, every time I would move forward and put the car in park the door locks would open. Put it in drive and they'd close. SB lines were long in the a.m. and the unlocking/locking drove me crazy after a while (plus wouldn't want to own a car that did that from a maintenance standpoint). My Avalon doesn't do that so I found it surprising the Corolla did. But I could live with it for a number of months knowing the Model 3 was coming.

Last edited:
I see you are in LA. Have you considered checking out places like Midway Leasing ( Midway Fleet Leasing - Car Lease Los Angeles - Vehicle Leasing for New Economy, Commercial or Luxury vehicles in Los Angeles ) down in LA? Their google ad says 6 to 24 month car leases and looks like they also do custom leases. I see they list S and Xs, and honestly if you just want to get by until your Model 3 is delivered and keep your monthly lease amount down why not go with another Corolla, they have those too. You're already accustom to that car.

I too have an old car, a 2001 Avalon, that last year we put money into the AC system and new tires in the hopes it will hold up and I'd get a new car before it ended up costing us more money. I'm hoping my reservation invite for my Model 3 arrives before that happens but if we had to we could live with our Model S as a sole car for a while. Otherwise I'd be in your shoes looking at other options. One thing I won't do is give up on my Model 3 reservation even if it gets pushed back again. I should have my LR version this year (may hold out for AWD which for me is now Late 2018). My Avalon has been in the shop a few times over the past year and each time Toyota gave me a loaner new Corolla. Much better car comfort wise than my husband's 2003 Camry was before he traded it in for our Model S. It had newer features like a backup camera, and the sound system/AC was much better too. I could see grin and bearing gas station stops if I needed to go that route. I will say one thing that drove me crazy while I had the loaner was at the Starbucks drive thru, every time I would move forward and put the car in park the door locks would open. Put it in drive and they'd close. SB lines were long in the a.m. and the unlocking/locking drove me crazy after a while (plus wouldn't want to own a car that did that from a maintenance standpoint). My Avalon doesn't do that so I found it surprising the Corolla did. But I could live with it for a number of months knowing the Model 3 was coming.
Interesting, I've never heard of Midway Fleet Leasing until now. I'll give them a call and see what they come out with!

Honestly, I wouldn't consider paying for another gas car at this point. If neither work out, I think I'll just keep my current car and hope it doesn't shut off in the highway again until I get the 3.

Reactions: SMAlset
Interesting, I've never heard of Midway Fleet Leasing until now. I'll give them a call and see what they come out with!

Honestly, I wouldn't consider paying for another gas car at this point. If neither work out, I think I'll just keep my current car and hope it doesn't shut off in the highway again until I get the 3.

Keep in mind even when you do finally get to order a model 3 you will have to wait a month before its ready for you..

I was in a similar position as you last year Either put 3000 into my 2006 accord or buy a Model s. I choose to get a 2017 base S.

Does anyone have a short-term lease (<= 10 months) for their Model S or Model X they'd like me to take over? I keep checking sites like Swapalease but am not able to find leases with so few months remaining.

If this doesn't work, I'll go with Plan B: Standing near a supercharger station with a cardboard sign that says "Will code for Model 3 reservation".

I have a ripe M3 reservation. Been holding off til Oct so my driveway doesn’t look like a used car lot FWIW.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte