Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sick of waiting? Vent here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at it this way, the longer you wait the better the overall build quality of the vehicles will be (hopefully). Any major issues will be worked on and you’ll wind up with a better vehicle.

On the one hand I am almost sick of waiting too. But on the other hand I agree with what you said.
I am sure by the time I receive my Model 3, many if not most of the early kinks will have been worked out.

I'm not sick of it, but I am just a little irritated. [...]
According to accounts both here and on the Model 3 Facebook group, people who have only recently bought a Tesla, and who only recently made a Model 3 reservation, have already been invited to order, completely skipping the line that I've been patiently waiting in for almost 2 years. That seems rather unfair. Non-owners like me are literally being pushed back in line, by people who just now decided they want a Tesla, and have the money to buy a Model S or X and then jump to the head of the line for buying a 3 as well. :(

That's what irritates me as well, almost pi**es me off about Tesla. That is no way to treat future customers who have been day one reservation holders. Just because you don't have money to throw at a top of the line model in addtion to a Model 3 doesn't mean one should be treated that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweet OJ
What kinks?

I've been looking for kinks in other threads. I see individual issues, but no consistent kinks.

By now I have seen many review videos on YT by new owners. Even though they love most things about the car, some kinks certainly need working out / refining.

The UI seems to need quite a bit of work still. Especially the turn by turn navigation, the quick accessibility of important functions like wipers, cruise control speed settings etc. Several reviewers (who have Model S or X as well) mention how irritating some of the handicaps caused by the missing binnacle are.
By now I myself have come to accept some of the shortcomings of the chosen UI, but seeing these comments by people who have had Model Ss and Xs for years and know what they are talking about from daily practice makes me hope that by the time I get my Model 3, at least the center screen layout will have been updated to make it more usable/safer for daily usage.

I guess quite a few of the complaints could be solved by making more use of the steering wheel scrollwheels. At the moment they don't seem to be utilised much. Thankfully OTA software updates can work wonders in that respect.

The panel misalignment issues and other complaints about the build quality one hears from several reviewers I indeed see as individual issues, like you say.

+
By now I have seen many review videos on YT by new owners. Even though they love most things about the car, some kinks certainly need working out / refining.

The UI seems to need quite a bit of work still. Especially the turn by turn navigation, the quick accessibility of important functions like wipers, cruise control speed settings etc. Several reviewers (who have Model S or X as well) mention how irritating some of the handicaps caused by the missing binnacle are.
By now I myself have come to accept some of the shortcomings of the chosen UI, but seeing these comments by people who have had Model Ss and Xs for years and know what they are talking about from daily practice makes me hope that by the time I get my Model 3, at least the center screen layout will have been updated to make it more usable/safer for daily usage.

I guess quite a few of the complaints could be solved by making more use of the steering wheel scrollwheels. At the moment they don't seem to be utilised much. Thankfully OTA software updates can work wonders in that respect.

The panel misalignment issues and other complaints about the build quality one hears from several reviewers I indeed see as individual issues, like you say.

To me....the UI issues are not kinks.

I believe you are talking about design issues. not kinks.

I think you would be getting into some minor debate over subtle semantics, but I could see some differences.
To me:

Issues: More major things that ought to be fixed. ('Bugs'). Some people find this term odd because it has some other meanings like disagreements and emotional concerns.
Kinks: Small obstacles to normal usage. Something they may leave as-is provided there is a 'workaround', or they may think of fixing to make it easier to use.
Quirks: Possibly endearing odd behaviors. It doesn't work the way you expect, but you might like it anyways. Non-intuitive functions.

Hypothetical statements (not necessarily my position):
"I have ISSUES with the speedometer placement. It really bothers me that it isn't in front of the steering wheel."
"There are some KINKS with the way the front hood closes. If you aren't careful you may damage it."
"The doors handles are QUIRKY. At first I did't know how to use them, but once I figured them out, I started to like it."

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: AustinPowers
Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 7.30.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 7.26.56 PM.png

Drat. Yesterday it said Dec. - Feb.

-Randy

Mine got pushed back 6 months. From Mid 2018 to Early 2019. Was gonna get SR RWD. Now the dual motor would actually arrive earlier than the single motor. I might get the dual motor if that’s the case. I don’t mind waiting as I just replaced the brakes and belts on my current daily driver. It should hit 145k miles by the end of the year. But the delay is disheartening nonetheless. So yes. This is still me venting.

This is my second shift

original dates were: Oct 17 to Dec 17
second dates were Dec17 to Feb 17
new dates as of yesterday are Mar 18 to May 18

SR and LR dates just say.....Late 18.

All of those who are touting a wonderful ramp curve.....please respond to those who aren't Tesla family or current well-to-do owners.

5k per week on July 1'st means that Tesla is only going to make 130k in the last half of the year with over 400K reservations to go.

Lets look at Tesla's statement yesterday.

We’ve made significant progress in Model 3 production, having delivered Model 3 to customers in more than 20 states, and we continue to target weekly production rates of 2,500 by the end of Q1 and 5,000 by the end of Q2. We have been inspired by the response to the car and appreciate the continued support of our reservation holders. We are working hard to deliver more cars soon.”

Significant progress which results in Tesla pushing estimates back........that doesn't make sense.....that means they were really really behind.
There won't be a $35k Tesla for over a year after they started producing them.

This just doesn't make sense. Tesla to reveal Model Y production plans in late 2018, says Elon Musk

Last edited:
Mine got pushed back as well, March-May now. Day 1 line waiter. Good thing all those needy Model S/X owners will soak up the tax credits.

Hint for Elon: When the tax credits go away its the non owners who will cancel their reservations. They actually need it to afford the car.

Reactions: atlas310 and N5329K
Mine got pushed back as well, March-May now. Day 1 line waiter. Good thing all those needy Model S/X owners will soak up the tax credits.

Hint for Elon: When the tax credits go away its the non owners who will cancel their reservations. They actually need it to afford the car.

Rich people always get tax breaks. Rich people make sure that it happens.

If you need the tax break in order to just afford the car, then you really shouldn’t be getting the car, after all it’s just a car. Shouldn’t stretch yourself financially just to buy one.

Car payments that are backbreaking doesn’t make for happiness.

*sigh*

The "let them eat cake" argument from a model S owner again. What a surprise.

How about this, they need to get the tax credit to make the car fit into their budget. Or, they need the tax credit to justify the purchase. Whatever semantics make you happy with the fact that the middle class buyers will be the ones to walk away when the car's effective price goes up by 14%.

*sigh*

The "let them eat cake" argument from a model S owner again. What a surprise.

How about this, they need to get the tax credit to make the car fit into their budget. Or, they need the tax credit to justify the purchase. Whatever semantics make you happy with the fact that the middle class buyers will be the ones to walk away when the car's effective price goes up by 14%.

That’s a bs arguement.

This is not France and we’re not talking about starvation. We’re talking about a car. It’s not a need it’s a want, no matter how you try to justify it.

No one will die without a Tesla.

If your payment on a want is such that a tax credit would cause significant hardship on your finances, you should not get the car. It will not bring happiness.

That’s a bs arguement.

This is not France and we’re not talking about starvation. We’re talking about a car. It’s not a need it’s a want, no matter how you try to justify it.

No one will die without a Tesla.

If your payment on a want is such that a tax credit would cause significant hardship on your finances, you should not get the car. It will not bring happiness.

I couldn't have said it better. If you are depending on a tax credit to afford a car.....then you shouldn't have the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and Runt8
I couldn't have said it better. If you are depending on a tax credit to afford a car.....then you shouldn't have the car.

That makes no sense. Yes, people don't need to buy a Tesla, however, many people do need to have a car. When you are deciding on a car, it is important to budget what you can afford - whether it is a Tesla or a BMW or a Honda or a POS. If the Tesla with the tax credit is within the budget, than you can buy it over the Honda. If you lose the tax credit, then the Tesla may not be within budget anymore and you need to go with the Honda.

At that point, why not just say "If you are depending on having a job to afford a car.....then you shouldn't have the car."