Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side Cameras and Purple Light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well Interesting bit of piece of info from Telsa's service team.. The purple that shows on the Blind Spot camera view at night is because we have inferior cameras. Yep, My 2020 MY has inferior cameras already, and needs to be replaced in order to use the function they just added in out software? So they add a new functions that makes what (90% just throwing a number) of there cars not function right?? because we all have inferior cameras?

Tesla's response to a request to get system, to work:
"The Blind spot camera performance on older vehicles is neither a defect of materials or workmanship. It is a characteristic of the product. And it's a characteristic that has been design enhanced in new vehicle production.
If you wish to upgrade upgrade the vehicle to newer camera technology, their is an option to purchase the u[graded cameras and have them installed. Would you like to purchase the upgraded camera option?"

Now I get that my radar/camera system is not the newest, but a year old and you add an option that makes it not work as intended?

Anyone else have luck with getting the purple fixed etc?

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Hey - Look at the bright side... at least your 2020 Model Y doesn't slam on the brakes for phantom trucks it thinks its going to hit.
Mine is 03/21 but with new software I am getting phantom slow downs. I do not know what the car sees but it slows down for no one on the road.
At night it was slowing down under highlighted interstate signs. :rolleyes:

We are talking about the Blind side Camera function of v11. How many of us at night get the blinking purple in the camera view. Some do not, some do...
Definitely happens to my car. Basically either blinding light or orange-purple-ish view.. March 2021 built Y. Will try and capture a picture of it to add to my post if that helps.

Disappointing that a camera change on a 10 month old car would need to be paid for out of pocket. But it is, what it is. Hopefully its reasonably priced.

This situation portends an interesting future with over the air updates and enhanced functionality.

In the past, when you bought a car it was and would always be what you drove off the lot. In this case, would anyone really have had the same complaints if Ford/Chevy/VW introduced blind spot detection 2 years after you bought the car? Probably not.

So with Tesla, we get a curse and a blessing: Continuously updating features far beyond the purchase date, but unfortunate compromises with incompatible hardware. I think this is one of those cases. We have to take the good with the bad I guess.

This situation portends an interesting future with over the air updates and enhanced functionality.

In the past, when you bought a car it was and would always be what you drove off the lot. In this case, would anyone really have had the same complaints if Ford/Chevy/VW introduced blind spot detection 2 years after you bought the car? Probably not.

So with Tesla, we get a curse and a blessing: Continuously updating features far beyond the purchase date, but unfortunate compromises with incompatible hardware. I think this is one of those cases. We have to take the good with the bad I guess.
I agree, not ideal... but awaiting the ruling from service center on cost of replacement, and cost of items. and something to prove that this actually fixes it.

Anyone routinely use the blind spot cameras? Definitely a nice addition, and maybe it will take me time, but I find it almost..distracting..for me to look downward away from the road/mirrors, etc, when turning/prepping to make a turn/lane change. So I end up not using the feature. Same for the wife when shes driving it

Well Interesting bit of piece of info from Telsa's service team.. The purple that shows on the Blind Spot camera view at night is because we have inferior cameras. Yep, My 2020 MY has inferior cameras already, and needs to be replaced in order to use the function they just added in out software? So they add a new functions that makes what (90% just throwing a number) of there cars not function right?? because we all have inferior cameras?

Tesla's response to a request to get system, to work:
"The Blind spot camera performance on older vehicles is neither a defect of materials or workmanship. It is a characteristic of the product. And it's a characteristic that has been design enhanced in new vehicle production.
If you wish to upgrade upgrade the vehicle to newer camera technology, their is an option to purchase the u[graded cameras and have them installed. Would you like to purchase the upgraded camera option?"

Now I get that my radar/camera system is not the newest, but a year old and you add an option that makes it not work as intended?

Anyone else have luck with getting the purple fixed etc?
This is a canned response that probably was sent to all Tesla SCs to stop them from doing a warranty repair.