Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side Cameras and Purple Light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"The cameras having a bit of light in them with the turn signals on is actually normal. We do have newer cameras but as they are not failing, if you would like them replaced it would be at your cost." drum roll please........... $479.72
So just went for a drive and I have 2 beautiful purple cameras as well. 👎
Please keep us posted if you decide to replace yours. What would be part numbers and labor.

Yep I just got the same one yesterday, and they cancelled my Mobile service for Friday. I asked for the price and have gotten no response at all.
You're in LA so the price might be slightly higher than what I paid, but count on ~ $250 for two repeater units and $250 for the mobile service.

I have a feeling that the repeater units are going to be out of stock shortly.

• Helpful
Reactions: alexcue
So I had my service appointment for tomorrow. The tech sent the latest firmware update to see if it will fix issue. Of course it did not. So he calls me that they will replace cameras with same model under warranty free for charge, but the issue will persist. If I wanted the updated cameras it will cost me over 379.50.
Screenshot_20220120-150506_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
This is an excerpt from a message I received from my SC:

“The blind spot camera performance on older vehicles is neither a defect of materials or workmanship. It is a characteristic of the product. And it’s a characteristic that has been design enhanced in newer vehicle production…”

Reactions: Ruffles
This is an excerpt from a message I received from my SC:

“The blind spot camera performance on older vehicles is neither a defect of materials or workmanship. It is a characteristic of the product. And it’s a characteristic that has been design enhanced in newer vehicle production…”
That seems reasonable to me. The car still works like it did when it was purchased. You pay to upgrade to take advantage of a new feature. I'm going to upgrade mine.

How about black tape over the led's that are above the camera? Maybe then the light wouldn't bleed onto the camera lens.... I might just try it as an experiment. I do like to experiment.
Someone posted in the first thread when this feature became a thing of this very thing. The issue is within the housing. The user covered the entire light and camera separately and the light bleed was still present.

Oh man, that would drive me crazy!! The owner shouldn't have to pay to resolve this.

Presumably Tesla's position in the face of that argument would be to just not give free updated features post sale. I'm guessing their reasoning here is "if you're willing to deal with some purple, we'll include the feature on your car too". Whereas older models like my 2017 S don't even get a bite at the apple. But the feature set on my Monroney sticker all works so I guess Tesla's part of the bargain is upheld and everything else is just gravy.

As an example of my point, FSD software drama not withstanding, they do seem to have a track record of goodwill upgrading hardware to satisfy the Monroney equivalent feature set. AP3 computers and AP2.5 cameras case in point. But giving everyone free MCU2 upgrades so that games and dash cam function obviously isn't sound business. Essentially you get all the free software "extras" up to the limit of your hardware set.

Presumably Tesla's position in the face of that argument would be to just not give free updated features post sale. I'm guessing their reasoning here is "if you're willing to deal with some purple, we'll include the feature on your car too". Whereas older models like my 2017 S don't even get a bite at the apple. But the feature set on my Monroney sticker all works so I guess Tesla's part of the bargain is upheld and everything else is just gravy.

As an example of my point, FSD software drama not withstanding, they do seem to have a track record of goodwill upgrading hardware to satisfy the Monroney equivalent feature set. AP3 computers and AP2.5 cameras case in point. But giving everyone free MCU2 upgrades so that games and dash cam function obviously isn't sound business. Essentially you get all the free software "extras" up to the limit of your hardware set.
Thats a fair point.

Reactions: andaconda and GWord