Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side Cameras and Purple Light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Presumably Tesla's position in the face of that argument would be to just not give free updated features post sale. I'm guessing their reasoning here is "if you're willing to deal with some purple, we'll include the feature on your car too". Whereas older models like my 2017 S don't even get a bite at the apple. But the feature set on my Monroney sticker all works so I guess Tesla's part of the bargain is upheld and everything else is just gravy.

As an example of my point, FSD software drama not withstanding, they do seem to have a track record of goodwill upgrading hardware to satisfy the Monroney equivalent feature set. AP3 computers and AP2.5 cameras case in point. But giving everyone free MCU2 upgrades so that games and dash cam function obviously isn't sound business. Essentially you get all the free software "extras" up to the limit of your hardware set.
Well said. Can’t think of many electronic technologies that the software continues to outgrow the hardware. Just the nature of growth And inevitable for any technology based product. If (like say a cell phone) they refused to offer to sell the mechanical upgrade I might feel different but this is a fairly trivial thing to complain about.

Definitely happens to my car. Basically either blinding light or orange-purple-ish view.. March 2021 built Y. Will try and capture a picture of it to add to my post if that helps.

Disappointing that a camera change on a 10 month old car would need to be paid for out of pocket. But it is, what it is. Hopefully its reasonably priced.
As promised taken a couple of nights ago. One while driving downtown DC.. other while on the highway.

Attachments

• 712E7CA6-DF25-4067-B283-E3B8C125CE95.jpeg
    712E7CA6-DF25-4067-B283-E3B8C125CE95.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 9D1D114E-7A94-480C-BEE4-E0D5C70520B3.jpeg
    9D1D114E-7A94-480C-BEE4-E0D5C70520B3.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 89
Cheapest solution would be to "disconnect" the flasher in the assembly. You still have front and rear flashers I think. Anyone seen the connector to know if this is possible?
Side repeaters are a legal requirement here and many other countries so that option won't appeal to a lot of owners.
More information about this glare problem in our video here:

Real question is are they replacing them with the new cameras. From what I've read, seems like they will only replace the old camera.. with the another old camera :(
They can only replace them with the cameras they have in stock. The trouble is that may be a mix of old and new cameras. Which is why you should test any camera they replace yourself by putting some tape over it and turning the blinkers on before you accept the repair.

• Informative
Reactions: Daekwan and alexcue
I have a Sept 2020 Y and I opened a service ticket and asked to pay for the cameras but they insisted I already had the latest ones :rolleyes:. I think they think I'm asking about FSD capability. I'll ping them again. It's good to know the root cause and that it can be fixed but it's a nice to have and not a must fix for me.

I put in a service ticket for mine and they are replacing next week.

Under warranty?
I had an appointment last friday, they texted me on Thursday afternoon saying "sorry Charlie" you have what we gave you when you bought your car. Now mine was for an October 2020 MY 2021 and both repeaters are showing the purple fringe. So let's see what they actually do in your case.

Keep us posted.

I had an appointment last friday, they texted me on Thursday afternoon saying "sorry Charlie" you have what we gave you when you bought your car. Now mine was for an October 2020 MY 2021 and both repeaters are showing the purple fringe. So let's see what they actually do in your case.

Keep us posted.
They have not informed me that the replacement is not covered under warranty. They did push the apt until the 14th due to another issue I have them looking at. Only time will tell.

We will find out soon what they replace it with. Regardless, it's strange seeing as though my Nov 2020 MY's left indicator does not block the camera but the right one does...
They installed whatever revisions of cameras they happened to have in the parts bins during assembly. They obviously had a mix of good and bad cameras for a while as this is quite a common story.

Reactions: coleman567
What if Tesla decides that blind spot visualization is not compatible with original repeater cameras and therefore option is removed from older MYs in future software. After all, I don't have boombox option in my June MY unless I pay to have PWS installed. We have to be aware that not all software upgrades (which are free) are going to work on original MYs!

Looks like there are 2 separate threads discussing this issue. To update this thread, my SC in Virginia gave me the same canned feedback and will not cover under warranty. At this point, I'll just turn off the feature. Not worth $450 to me at this point, unless the upgraded cameras provide additional benefit that hasn't been disclosed yet, such as a possible 360 degree birds-eye view that I've had on other cars for the past 10 years...still can't believe with all the tech/cameras in Teslas that this isn't a standard capability.