Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side Cameras for Parking...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else disappointed this is not a basic feature? Tesla has the best cameras on any car, but does not use them for an obvious use case to be able to see the curb when you are parking. Im spending way to much time making sure im not curbing these 21 inch wheels.

Reactions: tk1971
Anyone else disappointed this is not a basic feature? Tesla has the best cameras on any car, but does not use them for an obvious use case to be able to see the curb when you are parking. Im spending way to much time making sure im not curbing these 21 inch wheels.
Well yes.

But the all around camera that other manufacturers use utilize camera under the mirrors that face backwards.

The Tesla cameras on the B pillars seem to be angled forward so I'm not sure they be able to produce an all around image for parking.

Turn on mirror tilt in reverse. You can adjust them where ever you want In reverse. Even when pulling in forward into a curb. Stop for a moment, put it in and have a look, then proceed foreward.

Not as good as cameras but the next best thing.

This feature should hopefully be coming soon? Elon replied on Twitter in February that they will work on it.
They recently added the Bluetooth connection while sitting down in the drivers seat in 2020.12, which was also a twitter recommendation.

CameraTweet.png

(Elon Musk on Twitter)

I test drove a few cars at the auto show and absolutely loved the side camera features for parking and lane changing. I hate auto tilting mirrors though. I could probably learn to like them if it were an option for just the passenger mirror to auto tilt.

I could probably learn to like them if it were an option for just the passenger mirror to auto tilt.
Create a driver profile called "Parallel Park" (or whatever) that's based on your profile, but with the passenger mirror tilted down. When you need to back up close to the curb, simply switch to this profile. Not quite auto-tilt of just the passenger mirror, but it's only a couple of taps to accomplish.

I tried auto-tilt on reverse for a while, but did not like it. There are times I don't want the mirrors tilted while reversing. I'd rather control them myself as needed.

Create a driver profile called "Parallel Park" (or whatever) that's based on your profile, but with the passenger mirror tilted down. When you need to back up close to the curb, simply switch to this profile. Not quite auto-tilt of just the passenger mirror, but it's only a couple of taps to accomplish.

I tried auto-tilt on reverse for a while, but did not like it. There are times I don't want the mirrors tilted while reversing. I'd rather control them myself as needed.
Thanks! I’ll give this a shot. I usually park on the street anyway to avoid door dings in cramped parking lots, much to the amusement of my friends.

On my BMW this functionality could be switched with the mirror adjustment selection switch - set it to passanger side and the passenger mirror would not tilt when reversing. Wouldn't really work here as there is no physical switch for this.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNation

That's a nice solution. Although what I would really like is for Tesla to give us a voice command for "tilt mirrors", and "raise mirrors". There is already a voice command for "Fold mirrors" and "Open mirrors", so that should be easy to do.

Thanks! I’ll give this a shot. I usually park on the street anyway to avoid door dings in cramped parking lots, much to the amusement of my friends.
I take the opposite approach. When I park in the city, I park in enclosed garages and avoid street parking for several reasons:
  • Avoid bumper dings from cars parked in front of or behind me
  • Avoid getting a ticket from roving parking enforcement officers for not having a front license plate
  • Reduce the likelihood of getting a rear quarter window smashed
I drive to the upper levels of the garage where it's usually not as crowded to avoid door dings. I also pull into a parking space with the nose close to the wall so the lack of a front plate isn't as visible.

That's a nice solution. Although what I would really like is for Tesla to give us a voice command for "tilt mirrors", and "raise mirrors". There is already a voice command for "Fold mirrors" and "Open mirrors", so that should be easy to do.
Nor does voice command allow you to switch driver profiles or even to bring up the profile selection menu. The only profile-related voice command is to display a menu that lets you manually adjust the mirrors and steering wheel for the currently active profile. It would be nice to be able to say something like, "Profile Parallel Park", and have it switch to that.

Last edited:
I take the opposite approach. When I park in the city, I park in enclosed garages and avoid street parking for several reasons:
  • Avoid bumper dings from cars parked in front of or behind me
  • Avoid getting a ticket from roving parking enforcement officers for not having a front license plate
  • Reduce the likelihood of getting a rear quarter window smashed
I drive to the upper levels of the garage where it's usually not as crowded to avoid door dings. I also pull into a parking space with the nose close to the wall so the lack of a front plate isn't as visible.
I have a parking garage strategy too, but my street parking strategy is for running errands or grabbing a bite to eat where I can usually park at the end of the curb so only one bumper is at risk. How am I going to impart my hierarchy of attractive parking options to Reverse Summon? :D

I have a parking garage strategy too, but my street parking strategy is for running errands or grabbing a bite to eat where I can usually park at the end of the curb so only one bumper is at risk. How am I going to impart my hierarchy of attractive parking options to Reverse Summon? :D
If it's just for a quick errand or grabbing some food to go, I'd rather have the car just drive around the block repeatedly until I'm done rather than it trying to park itself. :p

• Funny
Reactions: EVNation