Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side cameras intermittently late to turn on when shifting into reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an intermittent problem with the side cameras not turning on until 12-25 seconds after I shift into reverse. I have performed all resets, incl Factory Reset, to no avail.
I HAVE been able to duplicate the symptom by getting into the car for the first time in a day, pressing brake, and almost immediately shifting into reverse.
Why it's a problem: When I back out of the garage, I am sometimes out of eth driveway and into the street before the side cameras turn on.

Subsequent drives don't regularly exhibit the symptoms (maybe car isn't going into as deep a sleep between drives). Further, I have found that if I wait several seconds after pressing the brake before shifting into reverse, I usually won't see the issue.
My primary concern: Is this a problem for anyone else?
If I have to just be patient and count to 5 before shifting into reverse, so be it. But if nobody else is encountering this, I'd like Tesla to look at it.

In a past conversation with Tesla service in which I shared that I used to be able to jump in the car, press the brake, and almost immediately shift into reverse, but that with later versions of the software, the car seems to need to have a second or two to fully "boot" before shifting into gear. The explanation (and a plausible one): "Lots of processes are starting up when you wake the car with the brake...more processes than before (with earlier SW)." Advice: Be patient.
I get it. You can't expect to use a PC immediately after turning it on, either.

I'm wondering if this "side camera delay" might fall into the same category.

2019 Model 3 with HW 2.5
Took the car to Tesla to have this addressed. The tech shared that this is NORMAL for a car with 2.5 HW because side cameras weren't initially available with HW2.5. According to the tech, customers clamored for side cameras to retrofit their earlier models that didn't come with them and Tesla apparently complied, installing said cameras (on 2.5 HW cars).

The more I think about this, the more opposed I am to this explanation.
Side cameras became available back in 2016 on the S. The 3 first became available in early 2017. I can't imagine the 3 was ever designed without consideration for side cameras.

Any other Model 3 with HW 2.5 owners who do (or don't) have this intermittent side cameras issue?
Learning whether your side cameras DO work is as valuable as learning whether they intermittently DON'T.
I need to learn what other owners' experiences with HW 2.5.
Anyone?

2019 Model 3 with HW 2.5
Took the car to Tesla to have this addressed. The tech shared that this is NORMAL for a car with 2.5 HW because side cameras weren't initially available with HW2.5. According to the tech, customers clamored for side cameras to retrofit their earlier models that didn't come with them and Tesla apparently complied, installing said cameras (on 2.5 HW cars).

The more I think about this, the more opposed I am to this explanation.
Side cameras became available back in 2016 on the S. The 3 first became available in early 2017. I can't imagine the 3 was ever designed without consideration for side cameras.

Any other Model 3 with HW 2.5 owners who do (or don't) have this intermittent side cameras issue?
Learning whether your side cameras DO work is as valuable as learning whether they intermittently DON'T.
I need to learn what other owners' experiences with HW 2.5.
Anyone?

Same issue and I have HW2.5. Usually works if the car wasn't asleep - i.e. preconditioned the cabin. However, from a cold boot it is 50/50 if the side cameras are going to work without a delay.

Same issue and I have HW2.5. Usually works if the car wasn't asleep - i.e. preconditioned the cabin. However, from a cold boot it is 50/50 if the side cameras are going to work without a delay.
I've had an issue where "Intermittently failing GPS, Day/night detection, reversing cameras (possibly all cameras), eCall emergency needs service" have not worked when waking the car. Often they'll start working again after 5-15 minutes.
Car has been in for service and they believe they've detected a fault - might be same issue as yours. It's a "ground fault" in the computers at the top of the windscreen. The guy said he dissassembled it and found oxidation on the wire that connects to ground. He's retested the car waking 3 times and thinks it's fine now.

I've had an issue where "Intermittently failing GPS, Day/night detection, reversing cameras (possibly all cameras), eCall emergency needs service" have not worked when waking the car. Often they'll start working again after 5-15 minutes.
Car has been in for service and they believe they've detected a fault - might be same issue as yours. It's a "ground fault" in the computers at the top of the windscreen. The guy said he dissassembled it and found oxidation on the wire that connects to ground. He's retested the car waking 3 times and thinks it's fine now.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) mine is restricted just to the side cameras. About 75% of the time they start working right as I'm out of my driveway and they are no longer useful.

I've put this issue on the back burner for now, mostly because Tesla is unwilling to provide an under-warranty solution. I don't buy the "side cameras weren't initially available when HW2.5 was released....and we decided to support side cameras with it because customers clamored for them" excuse.
FWIW, HW2.5 might be underpowered for all it's now expected to do (regular SW updates - and some feature bloat - undoubtedly add to the load on the hardware). But what to do about it? Keep adding additional features until the HW is slow at handling everything? Change the SW updates so that only certain features become available to cars with older HW?
Personally, I think I'd rather have access to the newer features and have them run slower.
Another option: Allow the customer to dump features that aren't of interest in an effort to speed up the system.
Tesla did offer another solution: Upgrade to a later HW version at a cost of around $1000-$1200. I'm not enamored with that concept, but we DO do that with PC's after a number of years, so it's not that big of a stretch.

I've put this issue on the back burner for now, mostly because Tesla is unwilling to provide an under-warranty solution. I don't buy the "side cameras weren't initially available when HW2.5 was released....and we decided to support side cameras with it because customers clamored for them" excuse.
FWIW, HW2.5 might be underpowered for all it's now expected to do (regular SW updates - and some feature bloat - undoubtedly add to the load on the hardware). But what to do about it? Keep adding additional features until the HW is slow at handling everything? Change the SW updates so that only certain features become available to cars with older HW?
Personally, I think I'd rather have access to the newer features and have them run slower.
Another option: Allow the customer to dump features that aren't of interest in an effort to speed up the system.
Tesla did offer another solution: Upgrade to a later HW version at a cost of around $1000-$1200. I'm not enamored with that concept, but we DO do that with PC's after a number of years, so it's not that big of a stretch.
HW3 has the same infotainment computer - only the AP computer changed. BUT, the AP computer has to compress the video to stream it to the infotainment. So yeah, there could be more delays on cameras using HW2.5

Originally, there was NO camera availability on the infotainment screen. This was all added in after the fact.

THAT, I hadn't considered! When I was told cameras weren't available on the Model 3 prior to 2019 (or on HW 2.5), I took that to mean that cameras were not installed on the car. Now I understand better: Couldn't view cameras on the infotainment screen back then. Now, you can, but the HW isn't sufficient to provide the experience I expected.
Thank you! That helps!
On a different note, if this performance issue becomes more important to me someday, would I only need to update the AP computer to HW30 or later?

THAT, I hadn't considered! When I was told cameras weren't available on the Model 3 prior to 2019 (or on HW 2.5), I took that to mean that cameras were not installed on the car. Now I understand better: Couldn't view cameras on the infotainment screen back then. Now, you can, but the HW isn't sufficient to provide the experience I expected.
Thank you! That helps!
On a different note, if this performance issue becomes more important to me someday, would I only need to update the AP computer to HW30 or later?
Just subscribe to FSD and that will trigger the upgrade process. I believe there's a 2K charge to upgrade the AP computer.

Unfortunately it glitched again while at the Service - they now think the whole computer needs replacing to fix the issue :( Still, they've lent me a performance model! And the acceleration is just brutal in comparison! SR+ it's just nice and fast!

Reactions: Big Earl
This happens occasionally - not very often - in my MS and has done so ever since the side camera reverse view was added as a feature. It happens so infrequently I have never considered a service call as I doubt I could re-create it. The car was delivered new with HW3 in June 2019, so no upgrades.