Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side Cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this would be easily do-able and would be awesome:

If FSD/Autopilot recommends a lane change: It should automatically turn on that side camera and show it on the big screen display so you can make sure it's clear.

If not FSD/Autopilot and you hit a turn signal: it should automatically turn on that side camera and show it on the big screen display so you can make sure it's clear.

It may have been discussed before...And technically you can do it now but it requires like 3 pushes when you need to be making a quicker decision about the turning/changing lanes. If it pops up automatically, it would be a huge help...since we don't have true blind spot detectors on the side mirrors.

since we don't have true blind spot detectors on the side mirrors.

You already have the 360 3D view that indicates with a bright red line if it is safe to change langes. Yes, having the camera feed makes sense to include as a potential alternative to the side mirrors due to its wide angle but if there would be any car that would already be indicate by the red line.

Musk has said that Tesla will activate the side repeater camera when turning or changing lanes in a future update - maybe the upcoming V11 update in time for the new year...I like the visual warnings we get on the IC screen, but I have to agree that an actual live visual visual image is easier to judge an approaching vehicle's speed / distance. I feel the IC red lane warnings tend to be less accurate at higher speeds where they are more important, as they don't really provide a proportional distance image on the screen.

Musk has said that Tesla will activate the side repeater camera when turning or changing lanes in a future update - maybe the upcoming V11 update in time for the new year...I like the visual warnings we get on the IC screen, but I have to agree that an actual live visual visual image is easier to judge an approaching vehicle's speed / distance. I feel the IC red lane warnings tend to be less accurate at higher speeds where they are more important, as they don't really provide a proportional distance image on the screen.

I have noticed the red line indicators on our screens to be not as accurate as I'd like them to be on the interstate. So I get concerned and want to double check before I switch lanes.

Awesome! I hope its in the holiday update! That will be amazing.

No sure if I would use/like this feature. It doesn't feel 'natural' to look at the center screen when I'm changing lanes. Especially not on the interstate. I think I would still prefer the old-school side mirrors and looking over my shoulder. The red line indicator on the driver console works pretty accurate in my experience and I use this as an additional 'check to box' to verify if I indeed can safely change lanes and didn't miss anything. I agree that the red line might not be accurate enough when a car is approaching at high speed, but will the view of the side camera projected on the center console help in such a scenario?

Reactions: qdeathstar
Not sure this a great idea. Anyone activate side cameras and put a turn signal on? You get amber flash blasting into the camera from the side repeater. What they gonna do - disable the side signal?
I just tried it while parked in front of my garage with the back of the car facing the garage. I didn't see what you described. Have you tried it? Is it more of an issue while driving at night?

Not sure this a great idea. Anyone activate side cameras and put a turn signal on? You get amber flash blasting into the camera from the side repeater. What they gonna do - disable the side signal?

I'm not sure what your describing. If you have a Tesla with with HW3 and MCU 2 you have the ability to show the side repeaters next to the rear camera. Since the side repeaters are small on the infotainment, Tesla will be pushing an update that when a lane change is performed, the side repeater camera will enlarge on the infotainment screen so you can see. Similar to the rear camera that is currently in existence since 2012.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I'm not sure what your describing. If you have a Tesla with with HW3 and MCU 2 you have the ability to show the side repeaters next to the rear camera. Since the side repeaters are small on the infotainment, Tesla will be pushing an update that when a lane change is performed, the side repeater camera will enlarge on the infotainment screen so you can see. Similar to the rear camera that is currently in existence since 2012.
At night when you turn on the signal, the camera view is all messed up with lights

Reactions: Watts_Up
I already have this with the 360-degree 3rd party add-on. It will switch to the left or right camera when the signal is activated. I don't use it.

In their implementation it's using a very wide angle view, maybe 160-degrees or so. It's helpful if you want to see what is next to you, including slightly ahead/behind the car. It's handy for tight spots. But it's pretty much useless at showing someone overtaking you at very high speeds, hence I still have to check the mirror <gasp - the horrors>.

But maybe Tesla could do better. Honestly it would be a challenge - even now if you are using NAV on the freeway doing 70 MPH, NAV wants to change lanes, and someone overtakes you at 100+ MPH, NAV will most likely cut that guy off if permitted to continue.

I'd rather trust the IC display to verify someone isn't to my immediate left when changing lanes but have the MCU screen display more of a rearward view, or better, let NAV handle the situation automagically.

Did anything ever come of this? It sounds like elon did say this was coming, but havent heard anything since. I would love to have this. as the blind spot on the model 3 is pretty substantial in my opinion. Getting the mirrors right is obviously key, but it would be great if the camera could come on the screen upon signaling.