TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Side Collision Avoidance and curb rash?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by WMAC, Dec 22, 2015.

1. WMAC

WMAC Member

Does side collision avoidance help avoid curb rash? I noticed it always "sees" the curb, but, has anyone gotten too close and felt it steer away?

2. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

I can say from firsthand experience, it does not, and that's all I'll say about that... :)

Jeff

3. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Ouch!

4. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Ouch indeed. The sensors appear not look down very well. So pull up to a wall and the car warns you. Pull up to a low curb and the first indication of a problem is the sound of the car crunching into the curb.

I posted a picture a while back showing how I was able to get the front end of the car literally over a low curb. Just barely cleared the bottom of the front bumper. But no warning from the sensors.

Not a complaint, BTW, just an observation and a cautionary tale.

5. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Yep. And just a few hours too late for me, unfortunately. Today I pulled into a spot that had a rather tall bumper and the first sign I had was from the bumper of my car that rode right over the top of it. Ouch. Just chin rash, but still.

6. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

Speaking of curb rash does anyone have an opinion or actual experience as to which of the 19" wheel options (standard or turbine) is more susceptible to it?

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

To be accurate, it's not a sensor issue. Drive down the inside lane of a divided road with a curbed median and the sensors will clearly show the yellow arcs indicating the curb nearby. It's just that the side collision avoidance is not intended to steer the car away from a curb.

8. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

With respect to the front of the car, I highly recommend the front camera switch kit.

artsci is considering another production run. Here's the thread:

Determining Interest in 2nd run of front-rear camera switch for touchscreen

9. WMAC

WMAC Member

How do we put in a feature request? This sounds like an easy no-brainier.

10. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I would think that since the autopark feature can sense the curb and do such a fantastic job of parking that it could sense the curb and warn us. Certainly would be nice if it could.