TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Side Collision warning gone???

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tomnisim, Nov 9, 2016.

1. tomnisim

tomnisim Member

I was driving yesterday and went to make a lane change and there was a car there that i didnt see. I was surprised the Tesla didnt warn me. I searched my controls and noticed the side collision avoidance system is gone??? What happened?

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Side collision warning and side collision avoidance are two different things.

The warning is the quarter-circles of red/orange/yellow/gray that are displayed around the car on the IC. <-- this doesn't work perfectly, but it's ok

The avoidance is when the car swerves back into lane <-- this sucks (sucked?)

Are you on 8.0?

3. tomnisim

tomnisim Member

I have a 2015 with 8.0 My car didnt do anything I feel like it used force you back or prevent you from changing lanes but maybe I have a bad memory

4. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

While not in AP, on 7.x (I haven't had the side collision avoidance trigger on 8.0), it would make the steering wheel feel firm (as if AP is engaged), beep, turn the sensors red on the IC (different shade than just too close) and inch you back into your lane.

The issue with it was that I've had a few close calls where it did nothing, and a not-so-close call where it triggered. So I've stated my opinion - it sucks/sucked.

I wouldn't base my conclusion that they removed the feature off of 1 close call.

5. tomnisim

tomnisim Member

I agree with you. I tested it again this am. No red sensor image not steering tension. I hope they bring it back. I have that on another car and it is a nice feature.

6. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

It was announced that a bunch of AP 1 features would be turned off while AP 2 gathered data and learned. AP 1 features were to be turned back on by the end of the year.

7. thimel

thimel Member

I believe that announcement only applied to new cars with the AP2 hardware.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

This is true. Thanks for putting a halt to the potential spread of bad information.