Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side mirror fix or replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched the forums and couldn't find an answer, so I'll ask.

l had a small run-in with a tree (no smart a** remarks please) that forced my driver's side mirror backwards as well as left my car with a few small scrapes on the door. I got a couple of outrageously high estimates from the local "Tesla-certified" places, and I'm still looking at all my options. While doing my research, it seems that it's easy to replace the mirror myself.

The mirror adjusts, but doesn't fold. Has anyone ever successfully fixed a mirror that has been forced backwards? When I had my Acura, I remember getting the side mirror fixed once, but it was an older car and the mirror had to be folded manually.

The next question is, if I want to replace the entire mirror, how on earth do I order the part? Of course I can drive thirty miles to the service center to talk to a human, but I've gotten no response from calling Tesla, and the online website just lists the parts but there is no order functionality at all. It's like the 9th circle of hell. At least my car is completely drivable. In fact, from a distance you can't even see any damage, so it's not like I have to fix anything now, so I could just wait until mobile collision service expands to my area.

The cost of repairing this is a rant for another time.

The mirror is made to fold in the opposite direction for instances such as what you encountered. You can certainly order a new mirror, possibly even a used on from eBay. If your mirror cover (colored portion of mirror) is in good shape that would make it easier, as that cover is removable.

You should be able to order the part by calling the service center and talking to the parts dept. Of course you’ll have to pick it up though. I have had a hard time getting a hold of my local one, not sure if it’s like that everywhere.