Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side mirror fwd/reverse settings

hacer

Apr 13, 2016
Clarksville, MD
So I was adjusting the settings of my side mirrors for reverse and when I went back to drive, only the up/down tip of the mirrors changed. Tried re-adjusting in drive then shifted to reverse and again it only changed the up/down tip and kept the in/out tilt the same from drive to reverse.

So normally in drive I don't want to see the sides of the car (instead I adjust to eliminate blind-spots) but in reverse I do want to see the sides of my car to make sure I see the clearance of the garage door opening. However the model 3 is brain-dead on this. It is only willing to distinguish the changes in up/down between forward and reverse (which hardly matters) and keeps identical in/out settings between the two.

Anybody else have this problem? I tried it a bunch of times, even made in/out only changes in reverse, hit "save" and there was no change at all when I shifted to drive. Haven't tried yet, but I think I need to make a special "reverse" driver profile; I hope at least that works.

hacer

Apr 13, 2016
Clarksville, MD
Strange, this is the way it is intended! The owner's manual says:

If equipped with the premium package, both exterior mirrors can automatically tilt downward when Model 3 is shifted into Reverse. To adjust the auto tilt position, shift into Reverse, then adjust the exterior mirrors. After you have adjusted the exterior mirrors for backing up, they automatically tilt to that adjusted (downward) position every time you shift into Reverse. When you shift back into Drive, the mirrors tilt back to their normal (upward) position.

Why would they intentionally restrict it to one axis? Plus it's the less important axis!

Skidmark

Oct 16, 2017
San Jose, CA
The single axis tilt on reverse is standard among almost all cars that have that feature. It's to allow you to see the curb position in relation to your back tires. Most people have their mirrors set the "wrong" way where they see the sides of their car, so that's the default.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC