Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side mirror not tilting back up when coming out of R to D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as it works when you actually go from R to D, then why does this matter? As a validation engineer I get testing to ensure that this operation can be performed 100 times without failure, but in the real world, how many times do you make this transition? What are you wanting to be done as a result of finding that when you toggle R to D several times that it fails? Is this something you think needs to be fixed?

• Disagree
Reactions: GooseSerbus
I currently have this problem and tried rebooting to no avail. It’s only for the drivers side and it’s basically unresponsive.
It’s currently with service and they can’t figure it out yet.
This is a long standing on again off again issue. I discussed it long ago with the service center and they said it'll pop back up for a while with some updates, then disappear with others.

As long as it works when you actually go from R to D, then why does this matter? As a validation engineer I get testing to ensure that this operation can be performed 100 times without failure, but in the real world, how many times do you make this transition? What are you wanting to be done as a result of finding that when you toggle R to D several times that it fails? Is this something you think needs to be fixed?

This results in the mirror being in the incorrect position, often at just the moment when you need to use the mirror most. I've had a similar problem with driver mirror and end up continuously adjusting it's position to account for the seemingly wrong positioning or skipped steps in the mirror servo motor.

If you have mirror tilt on R enabled, then the car actually records mirror positions in both modes and stores that per driver profile... so, if you are not seeing them tilt as much or equally... check your adjustments and save them in BOTH modes - in P/D and in R.

Then, see how they respond on next tilt, untilt.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZAV8R
This results in the mirror being in the incorrect position, often at just the moment when you need to use the mirror most. I've had a similar problem with driver mirror and end up continuously adjusting it's position to account for the seemingly wrong positioning or skipped steps in the mirror servo motor.
To me it seemed like the OP was going back and forth between D and R until it failed, not something that happened on the first R to D or D to R attempt. If it's happening during normal driving situations then it's a problem for sure, but not when someone sits there and goes back and forth multiple times until it fails. If it occurs during normal driving then it should be something service would fix under warranty.

Reactions: kbecks13
Have a similar problem. When I pull into a pull through parking spot, after doing what ever I'm doing if I put it into drive and pull out, the mirror is pointing down. If I reverse out of the spot I do not have the problem. The work around when this happens, I select my profile and click it. It restores the mirror...(usually).

To me it seemed like the OP was going back and forth between D and R until it failed, not something that happened on the first R to D or D to R attempt. If it's happening during normal driving situations then it's a problem for sure, but not when someone sits there and goes back and forth multiple times until it fails. If it occurs during normal driving then it should be something service would fix under warranty.

Ahh yea agreed, but i think it's becoming a semi-common problem that does occur during normal driving - OP was just showing it specifically/recreating it.

Reactions: TX_M3P+
I have 2 Model 3's, one an early 2018 build and the other a late 2018 build. Neither car, at any time, from day one until today, has ever properly executed an auto-tilt of the mirrors. (And yes, I've manually set the mirror positions in D and R properly). I've had the following results:

1. Mirror tilts to proper position when selecting R, then doesn't move back (or move at all) when shifting back to D.
2. Mirror tilts to proper position when selecting R, then moves only partially back to D position.
3. Mirror doesn't tilt at all when selecting R.
4. Mirror only partially tilts when selecting R.
5. Mirror tilts down to proper position when selecting R, then when selecting D, mirrors move down further as if R was selected again.

Because of this, I of course keep this feature turned off, but I periodically check it with new software versions. I don't think it has ever done what it's supposed to do a single time, on either car.