Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side Mirror Removal for Wrapping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone removed or seen a video removing just the swivel portion of the side mirror (the actual mirror part) while leaving the mounting bracket attached to the car? The closest I can find is this video from ColoradoDetail of the Model S side mirror removal at the 2:45 mark. I'm thinking that this procedure would probably work on the 3, but I haven't seen where anyone has documented doing it.

I have found a few more videos that show how to completely remove the mirror and bracket from the door, but they all leave the swivel part intact.

• Informative
Reactions: untilcomplete
Thanks, but my question was whether or not the mirror could be removed to make wrapping the chrome bracket easier. In the video you posted, the installer removes the mirror cap but leaves the mirror mounted on the bracket, which still makes it a really difficult job.

In the video I posted, the installer later confirmed in the comments that the mirror removal on the Model 3 is the same process as the one he showed on the Model S at around 3:00. My shop was able to do it successfully, which made the wrap job a lot easier and the results a lot cleaner.

He did a video before this where he removed mirror but later said it didn't really make it easier thats why the follow up videos show him demonstrating with them attached.

The video in question is here, linked to the part where he starts on the mirror

Has anyone removed or seen a video removing just the swivel portion of the side mirror (the actual mirror part) while leaving the mounting bracket attached to the car? The closest I can find is this video from ColoradoDetail of the Model S side mirror removal at the 2:45 mark. I'm thinking that this procedure would probably work on the 3, but I haven't seen where anyone has documented doing it.

I have found a few more videos that show how to completely remove the mirror and bracket from the door, but they all leave the swivel part intact.

According to Colorado Detail there was some "inside info" that was gathered that had the needed steps to completely disassemble the mirrors for wrapping. They also indicated that even many Tesla technicians don't know the mirror can be completely disassembled the way they are doing it.

Ah, I misunderstood you the originally. I'd be afraid to break one of those little tabs. Let us know how it goes if you attempt
My shop was nervous about it too. They had never worked on a Tesla, and the video is for an S instead of a 3, so they wanted me to sign a waiver in order to attempt it. I accepted the risk and it paid off. The job was completed shortly after the OP in July.