Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side mirrors no longer unfolding on unlock after 2018.21.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Immediately after installing 2018.21.9 I noticed that the side mirrors no longer unfold automatically when the car is unlocked either via key fob or passive entry. Now they only unfold after the car is started by pressing the brake pedal.

I did a few tests and noticed that they would still unfold automatically in the following cases:

1) If the car is still charging
2) If "Energy Saving" is unchecked
3) If I unlock the car within a couple of minutes after locking it

Reboot didn't help and toggling the option to automatically fold the mirrors didn't help either.

Anyone else seeing this?

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Yes, I've noticed this to! I think this last build, 2018.21.9, has some bugs in it.
  • I've also noticed what you mentioned about the mirrors
  • One of the interior ambient overhead lights turning on and off after the car is on and all the other lights auto turn off.
  • Also, the "Hold the Wheel" alert light that used to flash the entire Instrument Panel Screen only flashes on the top portion of the screen now

Anyone else seeing any of these issues as well?

Just walked out to the garage and they unfolded for me without opening the door. It had been parked for about 1.5 hours.

Sounds like anytime it's asleep the mirrors are not unfolding on lock. I have Cabin Overheat Protection on, which seems to prevent sleeping. Could be an energy saving thing. Would also keep the mirrors folded as you walk by the car in the garage with the fob.

The Hold the Wheel alert has been changed. Hopefully they're making room for blindspot warnings.

Yeah, the last one is a feature. I’ll have to test the mirrors today on a road trip as we use folding and unfolding when away from the garage to tell when the car is locked and unlocked.

I also had a Homelink autoclose failure yesterday. Now I’m thinking again 2018.21.9 was a beta shoved out to get the nag frequency up ASAP. Arg.

Our mirrors used to unfold when entering the car, this posed a problem for garage egress, so I am glad I don’t have to close them manually every time I leave the garage, only manually close when I enter the garage.

They open automatically at 31 mph.

I got my second P100D last week. The mirrors don't unfold when the vehicle is unlocked or opened like they used to. They unfold when the brake pedal it pressed. It seems more like a feature than a bug. Now the mirrors are compact when you're not using them, and saves power by not opening every time you walk by. Although, I haven't tested with range mode turned off. I think it's a solid upgrade. The automatic unfolding was pretty annoying, anyways.

Reactions: Paul8810 and XHokie
My mirror unfold just likes before. 2017 X 75D.

But sometimes, the summon feature is acting weird. It suddenly stopped when I summoned it backward. No any obstacle. Held the middle button for 5 seconds couldn’t active the summon again. It acted like the it was freezing, the keyfob stopped working. Had to jump in the car and did two scrolling wheels reboot to get everything back to normal.

It seems more like a feature than a bug.

I definitely get how this can be a welcome feature for many. I personally would rather have them unfold on unlock because I think it serves as a good visual indicator that the car is unlocked.

If this is indeed by design, I just wish Tesla would document these changes in the release notes, so we don't waste time troubleshooting problems that don't exist.

Also, they could technically add an option in the settings screen to enable/disable mirror unfolding on unlock. I understand that they want to keep the screens simple and easy to use for everyone, but it would be great to have an "Advanced" section or a separate screen, with more granular control over vehicle options.

Reactions: XHokie
So I noticed this last week as well. They didn't automatically unfold upon arrival and would unfold when I pressed the brake. For some reason it only did this for a day and now the mirrors act like they did before the software update.

I would prefer that they don't open up every time as it is annoying to have them do this when I walk around my garage for something with the keys in my pocket.