Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side pillar camera fog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My side pillar camera fogged up and I took a picture and sent a service request. Tesla confirmed ranger service appt and I got a call saying they're going to replace the unit saying the seal must be defective. If you have this issue, request a service appt and get it fixed as this should not happen according to the Tesla service advisor.

20211026_084942.jpg
20211026_084935.jpg

It happened to me a few times on my S and usually disappears after a few minutes of driving. The camera is not completely sealed to avoid issues with the variation of air moisture within the cabine due to AC.
Maybe the diagnostic is not always the same from one SC to the next. It woud not be the first time.

The service tech said there is a seal normally prevents that. The fog was only on my driver side pillar door camera. I checked the passenger the same day and it was clear. The driver side was still fogged after 50 minutes of driving. As you can see, the weather was clear when I took the picture so it should have cleared. If anyone else has this issue, just put in for service and get it fixed.

Here is the passenger side camera the same day time after my drive. It is clear as it should be.
20211026_084951.jpg

Reactions: thesmokingman
Hah mine looks the exact same! Do you think you'll contact service? I'm conflicted since half the posts say service claims it's normal, half say service claims it's not normal...
It will go away. I would only contact them if it starts being a recurring issue. It happened only twice on my S in 3 years of ownership and was gone in under 30 mn of driving and AC.

It will go away. I would only contact them if it starts being a recurring issue. It happened only twice on my S in 3 years of ownership and was gone in under 30 mn of driving and AC.
huh ok. It happened twice to me over the weekend :p
I don't drive every day but based on that experience I'd imagine it would happen every day in the cold (note - I'm in CA so cold == 45F out). Do you think that's of concern? It does go away eventually... but also does seem to be something that would happen every day

I'd imagine the car would be most compatible with the local weather ! Give it a few weeks and see if this really gets a daily nuisance. If yes try and have it checked. It happens on cold days when interior humidity is high. Maybe preconditioning will also help.

Happened to me last week after our first cold spell of the year. They're supposed to be coming out to look at it this morning (both of mine fogged up). THEN, over the weekend, my passenger side fender camera quit completely for an entire day and the marker light portion is full of condensation -- it works again this morning though but the condensation remains.

Reactions: acatwith12
Got my MY about a week ago, and loving it. This happened to me on the way into work this morning. I park the car in our garage, a bit warmer than outside. The front windshield began to fog up after driving a block or two. I turned on the defogger and it cleared very quickly, but then shortly after I got the driver-side pillar cam warning. When I arrived at work,I looked at the cam and it was also fogged up. Thanks for posting, I will call for a service appointment. Now I just need to figure out why my battery is draining way more quickly than I would expect while at work.

Got my MY about a week ago, and loving it. This happened to me on the way into work this morning. I park the car in our garage, a bit warmer than outside. The front windshield began to fog up after driving a block or two. I turned on the defogger and it cleared very quickly, but then shortly after I got the driver-side pillar cam warning. When I arrived at work,I looked at the cam and it was also fogged up. Thanks for posting, I will call for a service appointment. Now I just need to figure out why my battery is draining way more quickly than I would expect while at work.
You have sentry mode on? It'll drain battery

Sentry mode and checking the Tesla app constantly (prevents the car from going to deep sleep) kills battery while parked.

This has been ongoing issue for years… it’s never going to get “fixed” if it’s not reported as a safety issue by owners with the issue.

This has been ongoing issue for years… it’s never going to get “fixed” if it’s not reported as a safety issue by owners with the issue.

I think it's a stretch to claim it's a safety issue.

Reactions: Jim R
No point getting service for this. Happened with my 3, happens with my new S, and it goes away. It's especially bad when the sun is on the side hitting that camera in the morning. Just one of many reasons why FSD won't happen with this current hardware in many weather conditions.

Reactions: Jim R