Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side pillar camera fog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The B-pillar camera glass condensation has happened repeatedly on my 2021 Model Y the past month with the winter storms. On one side, the condensation left water marks on the inside of the glass. The water marks /stay even after the condensation clears.

This does not inspire confidence in Tesla engineering rigor and design, especially if these cameras are meant for FSD.

Reactions: 5NFfy6tD
My side pillar camera fogged up and I took a picture and sent a service request. Tesla confirmed ranger service appt and I got a call saying they're going to replace the unit saying the seal must be defective. If you have this issue, request a service appt and get it fixed as this should not happen according to the Tesla service advisor.

View attachment 726250View attachment 726251
I had the same issue on my 2022 MYP this morning. Our images look almost identical. I’m in Glendale too by coincidence.

I've had this happen twice in the past month to my new LR MY, got an error message on the display stating the camera was obscured. Only on the passenger side B pillar camera, the drivers B pillar camera hasn't fogged up once. The fact it happens on one side but not the other leads me to believe it shouldn't be happening and I'll likely be putting a service request in for it.

I've had this happen twice in the past month to my new LR MY, got an error message on the display stating the camera was obscured. Only on the passenger side B pillar camera, the drivers B pillar camera hasn't fogged up once. The fact it happens on one side but not the other leads me to believe it shouldn't be happening and I'll likely be putting a service request in for it.
Depends on which side of the car the sun is on. Traveling south in the morning I had the B pillar fogging on my car for about an hour as the sun hit that camera and condensation/mist generated inside the housing.

Hello, I am new to this community and recently purchased and received my Model Y in late December, 2021. I have a 2022 Model Y long range with dual motors and FSD. I notice that in the unusually cold weather here in the bay area this winter, my driver side B Pillar is fogging up every couple of days in the morning, though is does clear after about an hour sitting in the sun. I opened a service request and it was cancelled since I was told this is very normal. I did text the service representative too that canceled the appointment and he or she confirmed that this is normal.

I park in a semi outdoor garage that is open on all sides to the outdoors so it gets very cold and humid in the late night / early morning. I have since pre-conditioned my car to 72 degrees for about 10 minutes before leaving in the morning this time of the year. It makes a huge difference for me and seems to fix the problem on my car. I hope this helps you.

just happened to my MYLR (passenger side only).

Was parked in an insulated garage (probably ~50⁰F) and pre conditioned. After driving for a couple of minutes in 28⁰F weather, the passenger side fogged up. I was just running to the store so the car is back in the garage.

I don't plan on reporting it off a single occurrence, but if it starts happening more often I surely will.

I have a 2022 MYP and this had happened a lot for me so far. It even happened during the drive home from the service center after delivery. It pretty much always happens whenever I drive the car and it's cold outside, but was sitting in the garage.

I get that this is 'normal' but the strange thing is that I have a 2020 M3LR that I've been driving over the past two years and this has never happened once on that car. Same garage, same weather conditions.

I have a 2022 MYP and this had happened a lot for me so far. It even happened during the drive home from the service center after delivery. It pretty much always happens whenever I drive the car and it's cold outside, but was sitting in the garage.

I get that this is 'normal' but the strange thing is that I have a 2020 M3LR that I've been driving over the past two years and this has never happened once on that car. Same garage, same weather conditions.
This issue started happening on the passenger side for me last month (no issues on the driver’s side). Mobile service stopped by this morning and replaced the pillar assembly.

This issue started happening on the passenger side for me last month (no issues on the driver’s side). Mobile service stopped by this morning and replaced the pillar assembly.
Did you have an issue on the passenger side only? My new MYLR has a problem on the driver's side. Never seen a problem on the passenger side. I see the error message about 40% of trips since I got the car last month.. Sometimes the error disappear after 30 min. driving.. But yesterday it stayed whole day during multiple 20-40 min. trips with short stops.

Did you have an issue on the passenger side only? My new MYLR has a problem on the driver's side. Never seen a problem on the passenger side. I see the error message about 40% of trips since I got the car last month.. Sometimes the error disappear after 30 min. driving.. But yesterday it stayed whole day during multiple 20-40 min. trips with short stops.
I’ve only had the issue on the passenger side.

I think it's a stretch to claim it's a safety issue.
I disagree. It will lock you out of lane changes if it’s in AP. While you can solve the problem by shutting AP off, it might cause an inexperienced driver to panic and do something stupid.

It happened to me in my brand new model 3 for the first time this morning (when I got out of the car at my destination I could see visible moisture within the pillar right in front of the camera lens) and I was caught off guard and very confused when it refused to change lanes on me. It also pissed me off that this was even an issue in a 2 month old car (also had a TPMS sensor go bad in the first 2 weeks!) and that alone was enough to cause me to do something stupid lol. In any event, this is garbage tier engineering. I wouldn’t accept condensation like that in a $15k Kia, much less a $60k hype machine like the Model 3.

Reactions: dinonugget

This also happened to me just after I got all my cameras updated for fsd. It only happens on one camera. The standard response from Tesla, that does make sense, is that the cameras are not completely sealed therefor they are susceptible to fogging due to moisture in the air and temperature conditions. With that said I still think there may be some differences between cameras and I’m not sure if it is a better seal to keep moisture out or actually less sealing with more air flow to prevent fogging. For those of you who say non-sealed s bad engineering I would challenge you to find a hermetically sealed camera or headlight/tail light.