Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sidewall; 50 in place of 45 for the 19” tires - any concerns?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will be confused since the speedometer will be inaccurate, j/k. :eek:.

Kidding aside, see visual below.

Tire Size Comparison

Screenshot_20200802-012229_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA and laservet
Two things:

First, I believe that the Y will self calibrate the speedometer using the GPS. I can't swear to this, but our 3 does self calibrate for the small tire size difference between our winter & summer tires. However, the change isn't near as big as what you're contemplating. You're going from 28" tall tires to 29".

Second, there are two areas I can see that might be an issue as far as interference. Where the front knuckle attaches to the upper control arm has fairly tight clearance. Also, when you turn the steering wheel there is a spot where the front edge of the tire comes very close to the inside fender well. Both of those spots may be a problem for you when installing the larger tires. The only way to know is to test fit some tires.

I saw a video where the i1Tesla guy put 30" tall tires on his Y. I know he also installed the MPP 1.75" lift kit--which I have installed as well--but I don't know what else he did or did not do to get the 30"s to fit. You might peruse his channel and see if you can dig up more information.

Since the stock width is the same, I don't see fit as an issue on the 19"s, as the same wheel well/knuckle can handle the 21" wheels which are taller overall.

I've been thinking about going the same direction with Vredestein in this size, with a 107 rating, which is more than enough for an MY - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...WR9QTPXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

These are very good tires, and I've used them for years on other big, heavy vehicles with great success. Check the ratings for more proof. I don't know how they do it, because they are always so inexpensive.

Since the stock width is the same, I don't see fit as an issue on the 19"s, as the same wheel well/knuckle can handle the 21" wheels which are taller overall.
Unfortunately, that is not true. 255/35-21=28"diameter. 255/45-19=28"diameter. Your proposed tire: 255/50-19=29" diameter. I hope it fits, because that is the exact tire I would like to run as well. The only way to know for sure would be to test fit it. Maybe with a 35mm offset wheel it might work with the knuckle, but then you're even worse off with the fender well during turns. If you try this tire, please post your results. We just don't have any data yet on different tire sizes fitting.

So the loss in PUP range is more about rolling resistance and unsprung weight of the wheels? I thought the 21" were slightly taller, but you are correct, which I find amusing, since many feel the 21" wheels "fill the wheel wells", and the Geminis look "so small" in the wheel wells, which is an illusion at the end of the day. Given i1Tesla's overland setup, I would figure that the 1.75" lift with 50 tires would be a nice setup, but I would assume range reduction.

I've got a thread on here talking about my install and experience with the MPP lift kit. I'm not seeing any range reduction myself. (Model Y, PUP with the 21's.) I ran three laps each stock and lifted of a 10.8 mile loop, no real difference at 65. At 55-60 I'm getting the same wh/mi lifted that I did stock driving the same route under the same conditions on a 38 mile trip out the Columbia River Gorge. I have not tested at 70 or higher, nor can I since I didn't record any data stock for those speeds. The taller tires might give you an increase in range due to lower RPM, or they might hurt range for a variety of reasons. There just isn't a lot of data for various configurations available yet.

BTW, the rear tires on the PUP are about 28.5", so they are a bit taller.

Going 245/50R19 might be a better solution as you will have slightly narrower contact patch helping the efficiency, which should reduce with the higher rolling resistance winter tires. It will also help with the potential rubbing inside the fender. It is still more sidewall and overall increase in ground clearance over the stock tire but less than the 255/55R19 option...

Two things:

First, I believe that the Y will self calibrate the speedometer using the GPS. I can't swear to this, but our 3 does self calibrate for the small tire size difference between our winter & summer tires. However, the change isn't near as big as what you're contemplating. You're going from 28" tall tires to 29".

I'm not sure about this one.

I'm not sure about this one.
Our model 3 winter tires are 245/40-18, the summer tires are 235/45-18. The 245/40s should read 1.6 mph higher than the 235/45s at 70 mph. Tire Size Calculator Both sets of tires show an actual speed of 69 mph when the speedometer reads 70 mph. That's all the data I have, but it seems to me that the 3 must be calibrating the speedo with the GPS, albeit 1mph off. Interestingly, our Y shows the exact same 1 mph difference at 70 mph. GPS speed of 69 shows 70 mph on the speedo. (GPS speed obtained from both a Galaxy Note 10+ phone and a Dragy on both cars.)

Just want to post, I put some Falken Pro G5 CSV 255/50 R19 tires on the long range Geminis on my '21 MYP. Fits like a glove, no rubbing whatsoever. Very satisfied with the fit, ride, noise and turning performance. No longer will I be scared when there is a skiff of snow!
https://i.imgur.com/7Q7xI0K.jpg
Anywho, hope this helps

Attachments

• Resized_20210303_153907(1) (1).jpeg
    Resized_20210303_153907(1) (1).jpeg
    712.4 KB · Views: 1,071
  • Informative
Reactions: wjax and Nakk
IMO, looks like the wheels 'fill out' the wheel well better now, I like it. I'm curious if at full compression of the suspension, do the stock bump stops protect the wheel from hitting the body, given that the wheel is now .5 inches closer? That would be my biggest concern, which is why I'm thinking if the comfort springs are not doing the job, then going with a forged 18" rim/tire package may not only result in a better ride and range, given less unspring weight + increased sidewall height, but they could be safer if they don't risk the tire hitting a body component at full suspension compression.

Just want to post, I put some Falken Pro G5 CSV 255/50 R19 tires on the long range Geminis on my '21 MYP. Fits like a glove, no rubbing whatsoever. Very satisfied with the fit, ride, noise and turning performance. No longer will I be scared when there is a skiff of snow!
Anywho, hope this helps
Did your speedo self correct? What's your GPS speed when the speedo reads 70? TIA!

Reactions: skiwhmts

I've been thinking about going the same direction with Vredestein in this size, with a 107 rating, which is more than enough for an MY - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...WR9QTPXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

These are very good tires, and I've used them for years on other big, heavy vehicles with great success. Check the ratings for more proof. I don't know how they do it, because they are always so inexpensive.
Thinking about trying these exact tires. Any input?

255/55/18's fit quite nicely. some people dont like the added rubber i do. i hate the excessive gap between the barrel of the wheel and the caliper.

Attachments

• E4961276-9B8D-4928-82A6-7FE77447836D.JPG
    E4961276-9B8D-4928-82A6-7FE77447836D.JPG
    858.6 KB · Views: 948
  • 7691338A-5749-4728-8D3F-A5184C8717BD.JPG
    7691338A-5749-4728-8D3F-A5184C8717BD.JPG
    945.5 KB · Views: 905
Unfortunately, that is not true. 255/35-21=28"diameter. 255/45-19=28"diameter. Your proposed tire: 255/50-19=29" diameter. I hope it fits, because that is the exact tire I would like to run as well. The only way to know for sure would be to test fit it. Maybe with a 35mm offset wheel it might work with the knuckle, but then you're even worse off with the fender well during turns. If you try this tire, please post your results. We just don't have any data yet on different tire sizes fitting.
did you end up going with 255/50/19, 19x9.5 et35 setup? Looking to use that for winters