Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sidewall tire damage pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m planning on taking this into my Tesla SC but before I do so, just wanted to post pics of my right rear tire showing sidewall damage to see if anyone thinks that this might be salvageable. I’m expecting that I will need a new tire(s).

There is no bulging of the tire. I’m not sure how long this has been like this either. Tire is currently 1 year old.

D023214D-B8B9-46A6-A888-BC7B2AB3955F.jpeg

46208735-2420-40BC-8D0D-3B1259FB549E.jpeg

9EB9BEF5-E383-458B-9FF6-EAD4BB91F5F2.jpeg

061E57BF-85F5-41B9-8F03-CFD4D928D886.jpeg

Wisdom says replace it since the curb that rashed your wheel took a decent slice out of the tire as well. Just drop by your local tire shop (America’s/Discount Tire) and they’ll get you squared away. They match Tire Rack, etc. on price.

I first went to wheel works, but found out their tires didn't have the foam inserts of the originals. And they got fatty fingerprints all over my car. Then I drove-by the Tesla SC, but they didn't have an appointment. Sent their mobile service the next day. Super friendly, didn't touch anything but the jack points and wheels. The only downside of the mobile service is that they don't have a road force balancer in the vehicles. Cost was a little higher, but worth it.

I had a similar slice on my rear tire too. Shorter but perhaps a little deeper. It has caused no problems. If the cut is only in overlaying rubber I wouldn’t bother to replace. In fact now that this reminded me, I went into garage and used rubber cement to fix it. I have used same stuff succesfully to permanently fix a hole caused by a screw through the rubber.

I fail to understand why people roll the dice when it comes to tire damages. At highway speed a tire failure could kill you. In bad weather being stranded with a flat is also a bad situation. Saving a few hundred on a tire is not worth the risk.

I fail to understand why people roll the dice when it comes to tire damages. At highway speed a tire failure could kill you. In bad weather being stranded with a flat is also a bad situation. Saving a few hundred on a tire is not worth the risk.
Completely agree with you. No doubt I’m going to replace the tire(s). Plus it’s my wife’s car and would hate this hanging over my head if something happened.

Q: Just curious, do the OE tires come with a road hazard warranty that will help out with the cost of new ones in case of road damage on original tires on original wheels from the factory? Maybe prorated on tread remaining.. They may exclude curb hits, etc... but.. anybody know?

It's been so long and I'm no longer on OE tires so the only warranties I pay attention to are the aftermarket tire shops I use... Costco, Kal Tire..

Just purchased two Goodyear Eagle Touring SoundComfort Technology tires (P245/45R19) for $249 x 2 online and my local Just Tires is going to install ($19/ea) when they arrive. I believe these tires are the exact same ones I have now. Hopefully this is a decent price.