Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Siemens versicharge not charging model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad to hear I'm not alone.
I've been happy with my Versicharge / Leaf combo for 2.5 years. Just bought a 2018 Model S and I have what appears to be the same issue.

I've only tried it twice in the garage, but manually setting my car's charging limit to 30A and using the pause function seem to be working for now.

It's failed on the first attempt both times, and I can't be sure which remedy or combination solved it. I guess I'll keep trying.

Please report this to Tesla and push them to give you an answer. Even if it is “the Siemens unit has this defect” that is good to know so we can share the info with others here.

These reports of Siemens issues have persisted for a long time without coming to a resolution. We need to run this to ground one way or another!

So....I take it this issue was never resolved?

Ive had the charger for 3 years now and used it with a VW E-Golf and then a 2015 model S, and then today finally got my model 3 but it wont charge at all and keeps beeping and giving me errors. Tried a few of the tricks mentioned here (like pausing before connecting), but no luck.
Tried at my cousins house with his tesla wall mounted charger and it worked fine, same with the supplied charger, so i know its not an issue with the charge port or anything, but just hoping to find a fix for this besides buying another charger

Yep, looks like both Siemens and Tesla are not really doing much other than suggesting to purchase a newer charging model. It seems the Versicharge isn't capable of consistently charging the Model 3 (Although out of 20 attempts it did charge the car ONCE to almost full). When I connect initially all seems well, screen readout all looks good, then the Volts and AMPs fluctuate until the charger makes a clicking noise (like it's tripping the fuse), then it eventually gives up and I get the red halo around the unit. Looks like we're assed out.

So....I take it this issue was never resolved?

Ive had the charger for 3 years now and used it with a VW E-Golf and then a 2015 model S, and then today finally got my model 3 but it wont charge at all and keeps beeping and giving me errors. Tried a few of the tricks mentioned here (like pausing before connecting), but no luck.
Tried at my cousins house with his tesla wall mounted charger and it worked fine, same with the supplied charger, so i know its not an issue with the charge port or anything, but just hoping to find a fix for this besides buying another charger

Versicharge EVSEs are notorious for failing after 2-3 years with the red halo of death. Since an EVSE is little more than a high-current switch with safety components for detecting resistive shorts to ground, I suspect that their failures are caused by... internal resistive shorts to ground.

This creates isolation faults. It’s basically an oversized GFCI.

If you have the time, try taking out the PCB and cleaning it with alcohol, flux cleaner, you name it. Unless a component has actually failed internally (give it a close look for obviously failed components), dendritic growth caused by ionic contaminants that are part of an unclean or non-ideal PCB soldering process eventually cause these items to fail.

Last edited:
Like most asking the question here, we have a Siemens charger that worked fine on a Chevy Volt, and initially fine on our Tesla 3. But, like everyone else, we started to see problems a few weeks ago. Technical: Ours is a Siemens US2:VC30GRYHW VersiCharge Hard-Wired (VC30GRYHW) . The thing of it is, until the battery gets up to the peak set on the Tesla, say, 205 miles, it charges fine. Once there, however, we get an alert on the console and the charging green goes to blue.

WHen I had a Chevy Bolt, the Siemens unit would occasionally give red halo if the /car/ initiated charging several hours after being plugged in. Probably happened once a week, at least twice a month. So I swapped the guts out with SmartEVSE from Netherlands because that unit can measure my wife's car's current draw and cut back. You can also swap the guts for Open EVSE. There's a lot of room inside that big box! The contactor and cordset are great. Their tech support in Johnson city TN just kept telling me it was my car's fault.

Reactions: Fuzzylogic
Have a ~5 year old Siemens Versicharge (that worked fine with a previous non-Tesla EV) and used it (with the J1772->Tesla adapter) to charge a new Model 3... sometimes it works, sometimes the car complains about not being able to establish communication. The car's UMC with 6-50 plug does not have this problem.

Have a ~5 year old Siemens Versicharge (that worked fine with a previous non-Tesla EV) and used it (with the J1772->Tesla adapter) to charge a new Model 3... sometimes it works, sometimes the car complains about not being able to establish communication. The car's UMC with 6-50 plug does not have this problem.
Did not realize there was a Siemens Versicharge discussion on this site. I bought one of the new 48 amp Versicharge AC unit when they became available almost a year ago. Bought this for a resort that was installing EV charging and wanted the J1772 charging unit that advertised it would charge all EV's including Tesla.
As has been noted the Siemens units just does not reliably charger Tesla M3's, currently. Last update did allow charging for about 15 minutes before shutting off with my M3P. Siemens just cannot seem to be able to make this work with Tesla's, and has been a big disappointment ever since we bought this high priced charging unit.
I recommend buying something else if you want to charge Tesla and non-Tesla cars reliability.

Reactions: Rocky_H