Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sig S owners: Signing up for SigX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regular production Model X. Only advantage of Signature tax for us was the Signature Red color which my wife loves. But not worth the "tax".

Has that been announced? Will signature red and white leather be exclusive to the Signature Model X?

My brother, father, and I love Tesla and love our signature Model S' (I would have liked Performance+). None of us will reserve (or upgrade to, in my case) Signature Model X for all of the reasons stated here and in the "Signature Angst" thread.

Last edited:
Only advantage of Signature tax for us was the Signature Red color which my wife loves. But not worth the "tax".

Does your wife share that opinion? :biggrin:

I can still vividly remember my wife's reaction to seeing the the Signature Red Model S prototype the first time under the artificial lights of the Sarasota Yacht Club. It was OH MY GOD!! :love:

Following that spontaneous reaction I immediately handed over my deposit to the Tesla guy. Sometimes you simply can't put a price on your wife's happiness. :wink:

Seriously, to this date I do not regret our eventual decision to upgrade to Signature since Signature Red looks sooo much better in the bright Florida sun than it did under artificial lights. I also appreciate the Signature White interior in the hot Florida climate. Was it worth it? Hell, the car is so friggin' expensive anyway, especially when compared to my other cars, what does a few more thousands mean when my obsession and my wife's happiness is at stake. Life is too short and you can't take it with you anyway.

Larry

If I were to place a bet, I'd bet that 1) the X Signature will have well-defined perks, and 2) the first cars off the line will be much more refined, since they're building off an existing platform.

Seriously, to this date I do not regret our eventual decision to upgrade to Signature since Signature Red looks sooo much better in the bright Florida sun than it did under artificial lights...

Combine these two points. I have a Sig X reservation and I'm keeping it for now.

Does your wife share that opinion? :biggrin:

I can still vividly remember my wife's reaction to seeing the the Signature Red Model S prototype the first time under the artificial lights of the Sarasota Yacht Club. It was OH MY GOD!! :love:

Following that spontaneous reaction I immediately handed over my deposit to the Tesla guy. Sometimes you simply can't put a price on your wife's happiness. :wink:

Seriously, to this date I do not regret our eventual decision to upgrade to Signature since Signature Red looks sooo much better in the bright Florida sun than it did under artificial lights. I also appreciate the Signature White interior in the hot Florida climate. Was it worth it? Hell, the car is so friggin' expensive anyway, especially when compared to my other cars, what does a few more thousands mean when my obsession and my wife's happiness is at stake. Life is too short and you can't take it with you anyway.

Larry
You are right, my wife thinks the Signature Red worth the extra cost, it does look like a beautiful sculpture in the Florida sunshine. And having the car for our annual New Year's Day brunch at house with friends was priceless (actually was responsible for two more Tesla orders that day). So overall, would do it again. But still sticking with my production Model X order.

You are right, my wife thinks the Signature Red worth the extra cost, it does look like a beautiful sculpture in the Florida sunshine. And having the car for our annual New Year's Day brunch at house with friends was priceless (actually was responsible for two more Tesla orders that day). So overall, would do it again.

So how does that Mastercard commercial go?

Price of a Model S Signature, $100,000+..., Your wife's happiness, and having the car for New Year's Day brunch with friends,...PRICELESS!! :wink:

If you and your friends are interested in joining the Florida Tesla Motors Club, please email me at [email protected] with your full name, screen name and city. I'll send you some club materials.

Regards,

Larry Chanin
Founder, Florida Tesla Motors Club

If I hadn't sold my TSLA at $55 I'd have earned the Sig tax on a Model X already. Stupido!

Addendum to my question ( I am the OP for this thread): Even at the current price of $95/share, is it better to invest the $35K (difference between sig and Normal deposit for an 'X') in Tesla stock, sell in 6 months and put the proceeds towards the 'sig X' deposit before the reservation period closes OR just make sure you get a Sig X with the 35K extra deposit now?

I am reviving this thread to ask two more 'sig' questions. Initially I was fine with a regular production model 'X' but I am again considering whether I should go for a Sig X.

Two questions: 1. Besides a unique colored exterior/interior and getting the X a few weeks before regular production are there any other rumored 'perks'?

2. How did Tesla close down model S Sig reservations. Did they send out an email giving people a deadline to sign up? Was there are certain number they wished to produce?

Thanks Al

I am reviving this thread to ask two more 'sig' questions. Initially I was fine with a regular production model 'X' but I am again considering whether I should go for a Sig X.

Two questions: 1. Besides a unique colored exterior/interior and getting the X a few weeks before regular production are there any other rumored 'perks'?

It also says "signature" on the rear chrome strip and the side flashers. Not much really. There's a thread about whether Signature was worth it or not. For the Model S, the difference in delivery time was a few months, pretty significant, but for the Model X it might not be. Anyway, we were happy.

2. How did Tesla close down model S Sig reservations. Did they send out an email giving people a deadline to sign up? Was there are certain number they wished to produce?

Thanks Al

They originally said something like "1000 for US, 200 for Canada", but then it seemed to become "1200 for North America". I don't recall any notification of the list filling up, but soon after it did they announced a waiting list for Sigs, and quite a few off the waiting list did get delivered. I assume these corresponded to cancellations or downgrades from earlier Sig deposit holders. There were at least a few downgrades when people realised that the Sig colors were more limited and it wasn't clear what tangible advantages came with the $5k price tag.

Thanks Al

There were rumored perks for the S, and most went unfulfilled (though we did get an invite to the X unveiling). Even after the "outcry", I believe it was GeorgeB who promised the "sig story" wasn't over and they had something planned. Nothing so far.

Reservations didn't fill until well after sig production had begin (IIRC, folks were still getting cars off the waiting list late in 2012). If you are considering it, I'd say there's no need to rush. Wait on new info and go from there.

Invite and the X event were nice. Most of us also got a Tesla logo gym bag. Agree with other posters that there is no need to reserve sig early. People drop of the list as delivery gets close, making room for wait listers to move up. Benefits were minimal unless the sig premium price allowed you to get your preferred color. In my case, early deposit was a no brainer to support the company, and keeping the sig reservation when deliver came near was equally a no brainer as I liked the red/ white combo better than the others.

+1 FlasherZ for both your comments. I too paid the Sig tax to get signature red and white (my personal best choice) in the Model S; however we have a regular X on order for my wife. I personally believe the 'sig game' is done and over at least for those of us that have already played once.

There were rumored perks for the S, and most went unfulfilled (though we did get an invite to the X unveiling). Even after the "outcry", I believe it was GeorgeB who promised the "sig story" wasn't over and they had something planned. Nothing so far.

Reservations didn't fill until well after sig production had begin (IIRC, folks were still getting cars off the waiting list late in 2012). If you are considering it, I'd say there's no need to rush. Wait on new info and go from there.

Thanks. So, invest the additional 35K in Tesla stock, even at $120, and get on the sig list later.....the plan

My question is not about changing to a Sig X, but rather if it would be wise to defer for 6 months or so once they start building X's to avoid some of the issues the early S owners have had. It's a bit disconcerting reading accounts of owners finding the new loaner S's to be so much tighter and refined than their own cars.

My question is not about changing to a Sig X, but rather if it would be wise to defer for 6 months or so once they start building X's to avoid some of the issues the early S owners have had. It's a bit disconcerting reading accounts of owners finding the new loaner S's to be so much tighter and refined than their own cars.

It's a thought I know a few have had. Since I already have a sig x on order, if I downgrade, I won't be looking for my old P slot back. I'll want to go to the end of the line.

That's probably the safest bet but I don't expect the X to have the same issues as the S. The Model S was the first car they every produced on their own. By the time the Model X rolls off the line, they will have been producing cars for 18 months. Of course the first cars off the line are more likely to have issues than later ones so your point of waiting a bit has value.

The only reason to order a Sig, based on our experience with the S, would be if you don't have a reservation and want to jump the line at the end of the process. I had an early P reservation, upgraded to the Sig, and got my car about a month early. Unless you really want a specific color offered for a Sig, it makes no sense to get one. There is a fairly large Sig tax (between five and eight thousand dollars), and that assumes you want a fully loaded car in the first place. That premium can get you a unique color, or a huge jump in line if you don't have a reservation, and that's it. A tote bag, or free connectivity, is a relative pittance compared to the Sig premium/tax, so those are really the only two reasons I could ever see to get a Sig.