Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sigh. Is there a "fix" for my ... mistake?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just brought home our 2018 LR AWD Model 3 yesterday (purchased through Tesla). While waiting to take delivery of the car we had a Tesla wall connector installed. I purchased the 8' cord unit. Anyone guess what I'm about to ask? :)

So is there any option/fix to swapping out the 8' cord for a 25' or is there any way to 'chain' something to extend? Unfortunately I don't have any better wall location/space to install the connector. Ugh.

The cord may have a part number. The cord would be expected to wear out before the base.

Worst case is sell the 8' unit. If you live in costal California that should be easy. All solutions will cost a couple hundred dollars plus electrician labor.

Reactions: Phlier
I've read you can buy a replacement 25 foot cable from Tesla, but I'm guessing that is going to a bit of telephone work or a trip to a service center. Naturally, since this is Tesla, it isn't readily available.

You can also buy one here - it's cheaper, but I'm guessing if you told Tesla you were using this 3rd party solution they'd likely deny any warranty work on your new unit.

Tesla 80 amp cable, HPWC, Wall Connector

Either way, if you aren't handy or comfortable with working with electricity you are also looking at another visit from the electrician.

We just brought home our 2018 LR AWD Model 3 yesterday (purchased through Tesla). While waiting to take delivery of the car we had a Tesla wall connector installed. I purchased the 8' cord unit. Anyone guess what I'm about to ask? :)

So is there any option/fix to swapping out the 8' cord for a 25' or is there any way to 'chain' something to extend? Unfortunately I don't have any better wall location/space to install the connector. Ugh.

Easier just to take the unit off the wall and sell/return it. Whatever "solution" anyone comes up with won't save you much.

Looks like the extension cord costs $200, plus you need Tesla -> J1772.

https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-Tesla-Charger-J1772-Adapter/dp/B07V7V2QT8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

https://www.amazon.com/Morec-J1772-Extension-Charging-Stations/dp/B07HRHYQY2

You can also buy one here - it's cheaper, but I'm guessing if you told Tesla you were using this 3rd party solution they'd likely deny any warranty work on your new unit.

Tesla 80 amp cable, HPWC, Wall Connector

Either way, if you aren't handy or comfortable with working with electricity you are also looking at another visit from the electrician.

That's an actual Tesla cable that has been removed from a Tesla Wall Connector. That said, I agree the best solution is to sell the 8' HPWC and buy one that already has the long cord.

Coiling and uncoiling a long cable can get to be a drag. I'd make a tall effort to move the unit closer to where it's needed.

I only uncoil what I need and it’s fine. Sometimes I drive in vs back in.

It’s not a big deal to replace the cord since that is a repairable / replaceable item.

Also worked out great that I got an unexpected 2nd EV and with an adapter it reaches both cars in the garage.