Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sigh, no plates after 2 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I walked around my car, just realized my plates are still not here. It's been two months since I got the car, I have emailed the service center, Tesla and everyone else. No one is responding. I have less than a month left on my temp tag, is it time to raise the red flag?

Same thing happened to me after we purchased our Model 3. I called DMV and they said Tesla never completed the registration. After the usual runaround with Delivery Center, I had to go through executive escalation in order to find someone who knew what was going on. Apparantly, Tesla never "received" the check from the lender's bank, even though there was overnight delivery confirmation and everything. I'd go straight to executive escalation.

I bought our Model S used from Arizona and was waiting for our California plates before I applied for the HOV decal. After waiting 3 weeks, I called the Tempe Delivery Center and they apologized for sitting on the paperwork. They said they would expedite and sure enough I had California plates mailed to me 10 days later...oddly they came from the Buena Park Delivery Center. I mailed the HOV application immediately and waited another 8 weeks for those to arrive.

I don't believe I paid any sales tax on the car, so I asked the DMV rep about that. The response was to follow up with the FTB, as far as they knew the DMV wouldn't have issued registration tags or plates if taxes were owed. Anyone else in California buy a used Tesla from out of state?

I bought our Model S used from Arizona and was waiting for our California plates before I applied for the HOV decal. After waiting 3 weeks, I called the Tempe Delivery Center and they apologized for sitting on the paperwork. They said they would expedite and sure enough I had California plates mailed to me 10 days later...oddly they came from the Buena Park Delivery Center. I mailed the HOV application immediately and waited another 8 weeks for those to arrive.

I don't believe I paid any sales tax on the car, so I asked the DMV rep about that. The response was to follow up with the FTB, as far as they knew the DMV wouldn't have issued registration tags or plates if taxes were owed. Anyone else in California buy a used Tesla from out of state?

I also bought my Tesla from Tempe and they had forgotten to include the sales tax. However, they made me pay it when I picked up the car (I was expecting it but hoping for the best). Then I had to go to Marina Del Rey delivery center so they could complete the process. They gave me the temporary California plates there.
It's been a month, and I have not received anything from the DMV. No title, no plates, no registration...
Why did the plates come from Buena Park Delivery Center ? Are they not supposed to come straight from DMV ?

I also bought my Tesla from Tempe and they had forgotten to include the sales tax. However, they made me pay it when I picked up the car (I was expecting it but hoping for the best). Then I had to go to Marina Del Rey delivery center so they could complete the process. They gave me the temporary California plates there.
It's been a month, and I have not received anything from the DMV. No title, no plates, no registration...
Why did the plates come from Buena Park Delivery Center ? Are they not supposed to come straight from DMV ?

I don't think they "forgot to charge you sales tax" in Arizona because you are suppose to pay tax where the car will be registered. My car came with Arizona temp tags that was valid for 6 months. I would suggest you call the Tempe Delivery agent to see when they completed the paperwork for the title. I assume my plates came from Buena Park for the sake of expediency; I believe they have a stack of license plates ready to go...my local AAA office had a stack of plates when I registered my previous out-of-state car.

When they sent me the final invoice, the line for sales tax was not showing anything. I thought like you, that I would have to pay them when I go register the car in California. But on the day I picked up the car, they asked me to pay the California sales tax so I gave a check to the delivery guy in Tempe.

And as a matter of fact, I just received both license plates and registration today, mailed from delivery center in Marina del Rey.

So all is good !