Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sight unseen purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skyeforge

MYP / YT: NowTeslafy
May 8, 2021
Washington State
Just curious, who else has purchased a Model Y without having experienced one in person?
Sure, I’ve seen them driving, but I’ve never touched one. While I’m pretty confident in my purchase, I’ve never dreamt I’d spend 70k on a car, wait for it to be delivered and never experienced it first hand prior. I think that’s a bit insane…

@Skyeforge Whereabouts are you in WA? It looks like there are several sales centers clustered around the Seattle area (naturally), one in Spokane, and a couple in/near Portland. Would it maybe be worth your while to make the trek (book an appointment first of course) for a test drive at least? EDIT: forgot to link the map: Find Us | Tesla

Barring that, maybe you could rent one for a day or two from a local owner on a service like Turo? Turo | Find the perfect car on the world’s largest car sharing marketplace

It's a big investment for something you've never had the chance to sit in and drive. They are mostly great but probably not for everyone.

Last edited:
I purchased my Long Range Model Y in 2020 without ever having driven or been a passenger in any Tesla vehicle. (I did sit in a Tesla Model 3 in a Tesla Showroom once or twice.) I knew the Model 3 was not the right Tesla vehicle for me as entry and egress from the Model 3 was challenging due to the lowered ride height. My Long Range AWD Model Y has been everything I imagined it would be with no regrets. (I wish my Model Y had the heated steering wheel but that feature was added after my Model Y was built.) Trust The Force.

@Skyeforge Whereabouts are you in WA? It looks like there are several sales centers clustered around the Seattle area (naturally), one in Spokane, and a couple in/near Portland. Would it maybe be worth your while to make the trek (book an appointment first of course) for a test drive at least? EDIT: forgot to link the map: Find Us | Tesla

Barring that, maybe you could rent one for a day or two from a local owner on a service like Turo? Turo | Find the perfect car on the world’s largest car sharing marketplace

It's a big investment for something you've never had the chance to sit in and drive. They are mostly great but probably not for everyone.
I’m in central wa. I definitely could make a trip over to Seattle, I’m just pretty confident I’ll love it.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I’m in central wa. I definitely could make a trip over to Seattle, I’m just pretty confident I’ll love it.

@Skyeforge cool, I hope you do love it. I'm not sure what your current vehicle is, but if you're used to a harsh unforgiving ride then you may be fine. That's really my main compliant, it is pretty annoying. Hoping we get more used to it after some more seat time.

I purchased my Long Range Model Y in 2020 without ever having driven or been a passenger in any Tesla vehicle. (I did sit in a Tesla Model 3 in a Tesla Showroom once or twice.) I knew the Model 3 was not the right Tesla vehicle for me as entry and egress from the Model 3 was challenging due to the lowered ride height. My Long Range AWD Model Y has been everything I imagined it would be with no regrets. (I wish my Model Y had the heated steering wheel but that feature was added after my Model Y was built.) Trust The Force.
Model Y now has heated steering wheel? That was the one thing I regretted it not having, if it now has it my life is much improved!

To the OP, I have purchased many cars "sight unseen" if you know what you want, and the car specs match what you are looking for you seldom go wrong.

Keith

Reactions: Skyeforge
@Skyeforge cool, I hope you do love it. I'm not sure what your current vehicle is, but if you're used to a harsh unforgiving ride then you may be fine. That's really my main compliant, it is pretty annoying. Hoping we get more used to it after some more seat time.
I’ve had a pretty stiff Mini Cooper S. It is probably the main thing I’m not stoked on; not so much for me personally, but the complaints from the wife ;)
And I chose to make it worse with the performance.
I think the thing that sold me was Doug DeMuro’s reaction to the acceleration. I knew that’s what I wanted.
I’m sure I’ve still got several weeks before I even get a VIN, so I may solidify my purchase with a test drive.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung