Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature 100 Event Test Ride Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
Ok, I finally got to a fast enough connection that I could load this.

At the historic Signature 100 Event we stood in line to ride in the Roadster. It felt like riding in a 12th scale electric RC car. Amazing!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6886362354013029791&q=tesla+ride&hl=en

I also just realized that it might be the first time we see images of the Roadster at night.

I'm embarrassed because it's shot pretty raw. I shot it with a point-and-shoot: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/casioz750/ The first part of the first run was so much fun I stopped thinking about shooting.

Details:

They had been running the black car all-day and switched to the red one about an hour before my ride that night.

I heard earlier in the day they were doing 0-100 runs but were stopped (by airport police?)

The video is of the entire ride (no cuts) leaving the Barker hanger going outside, braking, doing a U turn and going back in. The classic definition of Short and Sweet.

I make a comment on the brake smell. It was pretty strong but you can imagine an hour of extreme stops that would be normal. I live high in a hilly area and my brakes always smell when I get out of my carcoon.

It looks like they went to a lot of trouble to have the cars circumnavigate the party since there are no issues with inside building exhaust. But in the time I was there they only did that a couple of times. Even though the "track" was roped off the party's raised platform, maybe there was a safety issue -especially with a silent car and drinking guests.

I don't know how Google Video works but if you rate it well, maybe more people will see it. Right now it comes up on the 5th page of a "Tesla Ride" search.

Enjoy!

e

Very cool. With those specs, it looks like it's road-worthy. I think Tesla will meet their goal of getting these on the road by 3rd quarter. So you're a lucky guy in the first 100 I assume?

Thanks for sharing this. I gave it a ***** rating. It's a raw shoot but who wants to see produced videos all the time? The night and in-door effects give that extra edge.

Hey, youtube/google also had the Red Hot Chili Peppers performing @ last week's grammys. Double treat for me! ;D